Wedding Registries

Options
sovannac
sovannac Posts: 445 Member
What does everyone think when it comes to wedding registries? I'm going to a friend's wedding this weekend and I'm often fascinated by where people register, how much they register for and some of the items on there. I personally just give money to the couple. I mean... who needs a Pizza stone for $45 and an ice cream scoop for $25? Are they magical?

Replies

• MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!! I KNOW!!

We registered at Bed Bath and Beyond (for the "nicer" things) and Target. Reason being, we had a lot of friends who were in the midst of the economic crises of losing their jobs (in the 2007 area), and that way, they wouldn't have to spend a ton of money on gifts if they felt the urge to do so.

What you could do (aside from giving the couple money) is to make a donation to a certain charity in their name if you know a cause close to their hearts, like the American Heart Association, Diabetes Association, ASPCA, etc.... That's what we like to do for future events that I know people will bring gifts to for me or my husband. We already have more than enough things... we don't need to add to the chaos!! :)

And Money is ALWAYS welcomed, especially on the Honeymoon! :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    We did a wedding registry to make sure we didn't end up with duplicates and to help our guests figure out what we wanted and needed and what we didn't.

I think it's tacky and very rude to have a registry with items that are way out of the price range that your guests can afford to pay for. We got almost everything on our registry including our entire china set (serving pieces and glassware included) because we kept things budget-friendly for our guests. We didn't have anything that was unreasonably expensive, and we had a lot of small items for family members who were on a tight budget but wanted to buy something nice.

The registry itself was really nice though. It was very easy for people to keep track of what was already purchased and what was still available. The trick is for the bride and groom to set it up carefully with enough but not too many items and with reasonable expectations. I love going to weddings where the registry is well-done too. It makes it easy for us, as guests, to buy something we know they want.

We had our registry at Mikasa (fine china), Target (every day stuff), and Macy's for formal table linens. Target was AWESOME. Lots of great stuff and very affordable.

Of course, money is always good too!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Idk about the ice cream scoop. but pizza stones YES are magical!!! The crust comes out SO light and crispy-crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and perfectly browned. And they aren't just for pizzas. They deliver a dream-perfect cookies, every time. SO worth it for people who enjoy baking!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love when people register so I don't have to buy them something they don't want. I'd hope everyone would include a wide variety of items when it comes to price though. If everything on your list is over $100 you might not be getting anything off it from me.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married for the second time and I don't plan to register at all this time. I, too, don't see the purpose of expensive kitchen appliances. I'd rather have money to spend on travel, or furniture, or other various things that you just can't register for...
  • jbeverly21176
    Options
    I agree! I went to a wedding recently some of the items on the registry were chip and dip set for $60 and salt and pepper shakers for $40. Really? And this is from a couple who ( I & the people we are related to ) just couldn't picture ever needing or even wanting a majority of all the things they were asking for.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Idk about the ice cream scoop. but pizza stones YES are magical!!! The crust comes out SO light and crispy-crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and perfectly browned. And they aren't just for pizzas. They deliver a dream-perfect cookies, every time. SO worth it for people who enjoy baking!

^ This! I use my pizza stone for so many things. I love it! :love:

It depends on the couple.I recently went to a wedding where the couple has been together for 8 years and living together for 6 of those. They pretty much have everything they need for their house so we gave them money.

I know when my husband and I did our registry, Bed Bath and Beyond had a lot of things in a catalog that didn't have prices. I was shocked at the prices on things we picked out (once I got the print out). I went back later and deleted almost all of our registry from there. We registered at Target as well to get stuff we wanted but to stay in the price range of our guests.

Also, some of the things we registered for we did already have but just wanted to upgrade. Just go with what you think is right...if they aren't appreciative then that is pretty douchey on their part. :drinker:
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I get them what they want but within my price range! What I found difficult in the past when I had a wedding to attend the registry had items all like $100 and above...maybe thought I had loot?!?!
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like registries because they help take the mystery out of what a couple needs, especially if they've lived together awhile and have most everyday stuff. If I don't know what to give a couple, my favorite thing to do is to get the wedding invitation framed for them. EVERYONE loves this and couples rarely think of doing it themselves but really appreciate it. Here in Louisiana people always also give money at the wedding reception during the 'bride dance' and the 'groom dance'. This is when a song the couple selects is played and anyone can ask either partner to dance but they have to pin money on them for the chance. So people put $1, $5, etc and sometimes even $100 on the bride or groom. Even children get in the act. It's a cherished tradition that gives the couple money to use any way they want, often on the honeymoon. I think my husband and I ended up with a little over $300 from our dance partners.