Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    whats the big rush
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My doctor wouldn't prescribe them when I asked her about them. She said it was a sister drug to phen phen. I'm not willing to take the risk. I also have hypothyroidism and any diet drugs of any kind would totally mess me up. I hope when you stop taking them that the weight will not come back on. I've had too many friends who took it and then put the weight plus some back on. Good luck.
    It's is not a sister drug to fen-phen. It's the "phen" in fen-phen. Phentermine = phen.

Fen was banned because of heart issues. Phentermine has been around since the 50s and is prescribed frequently.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Had a friend who went on it and had MAJOR heart and blood pressure issues. Please be careful. Twice we had to have the ambulance take her from work!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Keep your money in your pocket.

Make smarter choices when you eat. It really is that simple.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck. I don't think that you can take a pill for a few months, lose weight and not expect to gain it back. I saw in your profile that you also have had weight loss surgery. There is no magic to make us do what we need to do to be healthy. I have tried everything over my adult years and although many things have jump started my weight loss and I have lost a considerable amount of weight - I always gain it back. Always. The reason? I have never made myself accountable for what I eat, how much I eat, or how I took care of my body. You see that's why I am successful this time and feel pretty good about keeping the weight off. I am doing this for my health. Every decision I make is for my health. This body has to last me for the rest of my life. So I eat right, exercise, lift weights, and enjoy myself. I will continue to do these things forever. Forever. I don't want to be on pills or have to do drastic things to my body to lose this weight. I hope you make the right decisions for your health.
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you take it, plan on short term and definately have a plan in place to maintain the weight you will lose. I dropped weight fast but did'nt change any of my habits & so went right back to where I started from and then some.

I had considered it again but decided not to & I'm glad I did. Granted this first week of my stomach shrinking & getting used to smaller meals has been tough but I know in the end it's what will make me change for good.
  • dandksmommy
    Options
    You should visit the library do your research and then speak to your medical doctor, not the diet doctor. The pill is great in the short term. You have energy, lose weight, but in the long term you will gain all the weight back and more. Your sugar/carb cravings will come back with a vengeance. In addition, research shows that there are serious health risks related to pill in particular heart problems associated with the pills. If you have kids, this pill is not the one for you or your little ones. I wish well with your weight loss journey.
  • Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did get it prescribed from my medical doctor. And I did some research on side effects. I've never had heart problems. I don't have kids, and the max time ill be on is 3 months to kick start my weight loss and help shrink my stomack n get used to eating smaller amts. I don't think its a miracle pill, of course I have to diet correctly and exercise to keep the weight off. It's just a little bit of extra help to get me on the right track
  • kmackereth8493
    kmackereth8493 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI All -

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, and my doctor recently prescribed phentermine to help kick-start some weight loss (along with calorie tracking, which is why I'm here :). I had no idea weight loss drugs still existed, and she only wants me to take it for a month or two at most. She told me to start with half a pill a day, and then if I wanted I could go up to the full dose or just stay on the half dose if that seemed to be working. I've been on the half dose for two weeks (along with a 1200-calorie diet) and so far have lost between 7-10 pounds (I didn't weigh myself when I started, which I should have done, so that's my best guess). Question is, will I lose weight faster by bumping up to the full dose? So far the half-dose has been tamping down my appetite enough that sticking to 1200 calories hasn't been a problem, and I'm a little worried that if I start taking more I'll just not want to eat at all.

Thanks!
  • jagdawg
    jagdawg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did get it prescribed from my medical doctor. And I did some research on side effects. I've never had heart problems. I don't have kids, and the max time ill be on is 3 months to kick start my weight loss and help shrink my stomack n get used to eating smaller amts. I don't think its a miracle pill, of course I have to diet correctly and exercise to keep the weight off. It's just a little bit of extra help to get me on the right track

I just started on the phentermine on Wednesday, prescribed by my MD for the same reason. I wanted something to give me a bit of a kick start.

My Dr. will monitor me every month for blood pressure rise etc and if I have any ill effects or don't lose weight she will not renew the 30 day Rx.

So, since I am a newbie on this med, I am curious how it is working out for you Devin?
  • SwoleSista
    Options
    Jagdawg,
    I'm in the same boat. I've been on it for 2 weeks. I'm getting monthly blood work and EKG's in order for my Dr to prescribe the next month's pills. How's it working for you so far? Since I started taking them on 11/22, I've lost about 6-7 pounds.

Also, for those suffering from headaches...
    This isn't my first time taking phentermine. I am from the east coast and I had been going to a weight loss clinic back home. I finally got a script when I moved to the west coast. Much cheaper! Anyway, the clinic's pills (30 mg) were blue & white capsules whereas the pharmacy's pills (37.5 mg) I take now are white tablets with blue specks. The clinic's capsules gave me really bad headaches. The stronger tablets don't do that to me. You may want to ask your doctor to switch you or see about switching manufacturers if you're having headaches like I was.

I also like the energy the phentermine gives me. I workout 2-3 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week. The last time I was taking phentermine, I didn't have time to work out like I can now. I still lost some weight, but your weight loss on this drug will be significantly greater when combined with exercise. The weight loss clinic I used to go to confirmed this as well.
  • wintersbeauty25
    Options
    My doc just put me on it this week. He has me taking a 1/4 to a 1/2 a pill every other day. I just started it today, and I knew I was hungry, but I didn''t FEEL hungry. Only thing I noticed instantly was I feel full after two bites.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Umm, not to be mean, but you just had weight loss SURGERY three years ago at the age of 21. Now, you're looking into diet pills? No offense, but it sounds like you're just being lazy in your approach to losing weight. You hardly logged anything in your diary, so how do you expect MFP to help if you don't do the minimal amount of work of logging your food. Not sure, but i don't think the surgery wore off. So, you should still be eating smaller portions than most other people. Not to mention the fact that with surgery comes the fact that you lose weight rapidly, which not only means fat but also lean body mass as well, which in turn slows your metabolism down. So, why not just try diet and exercise for a while, and put in a little hard work, instead of taking the easy way out.