anyone got any low fat soup recipes please?

Options
No meat or fish or celery thanks xx

Replies

• Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the famous "fat-burning" cabbage soup? I happen to love it. Unfortunately, my recipe is only loosely based on the real thing. But if you like cabbage, onion, tomatoes and cayenne (+ fat-free broth base) it's an excellent and hearty soup that I'd highly recommend. In fact, I think I need to make some for myself! Thanks for this unintentional reminder! xoxo
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    mmm will deffo give this a try! thankee my friend!
  • SarahL522
    SarahL522 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup? That sounds great!! is that it? if not May I have the recipe please?
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/low-fat-white-chicken-chili-215903

This is more like a soup than a chili. I make this for my vegetarian friends by omitting the chicken and adding tomatoes.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    1. 1 cup of water.

enjoy!
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    thanks Vevvie i love chilli!! and @Quix hahahaha too funny!
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    I made a big batch of taco soup yesterday

1 can black beans
    1 can white beans
    1 can green chilies
    1 can corn
    2 cans tex-mex tomatoes
    1 packet taco seasoning

and then I put shredded chicken in mine, but it would still be delicious without it!!
  • keemakitty
    Options
    I swear by vegetarian lentil soup. It's hearty, low in fat and calories, high in protein and fiber and chocked full of healthy veggies. There are recipes all over the net. Adding turmeric gives an added antioxidant boost! If you'd like my own personal recipe contact me. It is a culmination of all of the best ones I've found. :)
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Here is my thread with some homemade soup recipes....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/793884-soup-recipes
  • ThinnerPerfection
    Options
    1. hot water
    2. 1-2 boullion cubes :p
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh so glad you posted such an awesome topic that we can all learn from! Thanks! I was actually going to say cabbage soup too, so I will have to keep thinking of one to add! I'll be back!
  • kimharper13
    Options
    Great turkey chili, even better the next day when all the spices mellow together.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Turkey_chili#EmbedRecipe_109
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    what about egg drop soup- or hot and sour soup?
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    thanks guys! I just got a food processor and cant wait to do proper healthy home-cooking :)
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    Oh so glad you posted such an awesome topic that we can all learn from! Thanks! I was actually going to say cabbage soup too, so I will have to keep thinking of one to add! I'll be back!

aw thanks, it's really that I'm too thrifty to buy a cook book :D
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup? That sounds great!! is that it? if not May I have the recipe please?

I think you can just do a Google search for "fat-burning cabbage soup" and you'll find it, as I did. I just tweaked mine a bit, I don't remember if the original has cayenne pepper in it but it might. I had to add kernel corn to my last batch because I put TOO much hot sauce and it was so fiery, it was virtually inedible. The addition of sugar and corn made it bearable (delicious, actually) -- but those were my pre-MFP-calorie-counting days, also! I might not add corn today.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of soup every weekend for lunches (occasional dinner) throughout the week, hence I have hundreds of soup recipes. This is one of my go-to soup receipes. My ex used to say soup is not a meal, just another thing he was wrong about. hahaha

Lemon Lentil Soup with Spinach (we like ours with swiss chard)

INGREDIENTS

3 tbsp + 1 tbsp olive oil

2 medium onions, finely chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1-1/2 cups green or brown lentils, picked over and rinsed

4 cups vegetable or chicken stock

4 cups water

2 tsp dried mint or 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Salt + freshly ground black pepper to taste

1 8-oz bag washed spinach, tough stems removed (or 1 bunch swiss chard)

Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated

3 tbsp lemon juice

Plain yogurt for garnish

DIRECTIONS

In large pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Turn heat down to medium-low. Cook until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes. Stir in cumin and cayenne; cook 30 seconds. Add lentils, stock and water, and raise heat to high.

When it comes to boil, reduce to simmer and cook until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Add mint and season with salt and pepper. Purée 1 cup of soup in food processor and stir back into pot.

While lentils are cooking, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add half of spinach and stir until wilted. Add remaining spinach and stir until wilted. Transfer spinach to cutting board and roughly chop. Set aside.

When ready to serve soup, bring to simmer and stir in spinach, lemon zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into warm bowls and garnish with dollop of yogurt.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

A picture is worth a thousand words

IMG_3708.jpg
  • dzinter
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • Savagegirlt
    Options
    Our family favorite (and do mean FAVORITE) is chicken pesole.

Chicken broth (fat free) 3 cans (or 45 oz)
    White hominy 2 cans (rinsed and drained)
    Onions - slightly browned before adding to broth
    chicken (or tofu) 8 oz -brown and drain- shred with forks

Add all above ingredients together and simmer for at least 15 mins

Cut limes and fresh cilantro-add to bowls upon service. Can also have corn/white tortillas as 'croutons' for soup.