Indian food

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
So I have this free lunch from a nearby Indian restaurant. I've never tried Indian and I don't have enough food at work or time on my lunch break to get what I need...so I was thinking of using my coupon. Thing is, I don't know what it's like calorie-wise... if I'm going to watch my calories (I have 600 left and am going to work out tonight and have a SMALL dinner so I should be able to use up 400-500 for lunch), what would you guys recommend, if anything? If I should just stay away, just say so! I'll figure it out. I'm looking forward to trying something new but have no idea where to start!

Replies

• willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love Indian, I believe the dall mahkni is a good choice (it's lentils) some of the currys are loaded with cream so I'd stay away from those. I think the basmati rice is a good choice too but I'm sure others will chime in.
  • imabhealthy
    imabhealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Indian food is delicious, one of my favorites, but some is pretty high cal. Go for the lentil and vegie dishes, the creamier sauces are brutal. And the rice pudding (kheer) is pretty high cal. I have Indian on my cheat days! And usually just one meal will do me for the day.
    :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tikka, since it's a "dry" chicken, versus butter or any of the other saucy proteins.
    Dal Makhani is good, but depends how they make it. Most recipes use a cream base (when I make it I use a 0% yogurt base) Palak Paneer (spinach with indian cheese), Cauliflower dishes are good as well. Some Indian resto's have a brown basmati rice option - ask if they do.
  • nehadi23
    nehadi23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would go for their Chicken Tikka or Tandoir Chicken both are good and on the lower cal. side. If you do decide to have naan (indian bread) ask for them to hold the butter. It will save you some calories and the naan is made out of whole wheat floor in most cases.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, guys. Great suggestions! I made sure to get the chicken tikka (and the girl helping me recommended it too) and it was my favorite of all! I loved the bread... got some rice, lamb, fish curry (so good but soo spicy) and something else and just tried a little of each so I'd have leftovers of everything. :) What a wonderful first time experience! Do you guys have any idea on specific calorie amounts so I can log it or should I just lump them altogether?
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    General Suggestion: Any Tandoor or Kabab Items such as Chicken Tandoori,Chicken Tikka,Kababs are healthy if cooked in a tandoor as the process drains out the excess Fats.Also Most INdian restaurants use Lean chicken.Avoid Nan. Go For Roti as it is amde out of whole wheat Flour. Avoid Anything written in Makhani (makhani = Butter) as it is mad eon a butter base so lts and lots of calories. Go for the Green Gravy (hariyali) which has a spinach base or tikka curry which has a Tomato Base.Avoid Butter Chicken...Very TAste but a calorie Bomb.