When doe the hurting stop?

Hey people who work out regularly- I've been working out for 90 minutes a day for a week. When does it stop feeling like my muscles are made of pain?

Replies

• ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    *does
    When DOES it stop?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Never. You just learn to like it.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Eventually. Don't worry, you'll forget.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Hope you're giving your body time to rest with all that workout time!

I found that I'm less sore if I stay well hydrated.

Aside from that it takes me about 3 weeks to "get back into it" if I've been out of the gym for a while. Then, when I stop feeling sore I switch it up - go heavier, different exercises, etc.

Being sore sucks... but I know it's an accomplishment.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    never you just adjust to it.. hurt is good means its working
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Not a real helpful answer but....

One of my football coaches in high school told us all: "It will feel better when it stops hurting"

This coming at the end of conditioning session a few days into daily doubles when we are so tired and sore we can barely move. My favorite thought when I'm sore now though!

Usually seems to me a new muscle hurts for about 3 days before it subsides, not sure if it's the same in everyone.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    if you're doing it right you should always be sore (muscle confusion). of course rest days are important, so don't over train.
  • Never. It'll subside and start to hurt less. Soreness in muscles is good. It means you've done something that is going to help strengthen them!

Try taking a high quality glutamine and/or amino acid supplement with your post workout protein drink. The glutamine will help to speed up the repair of your muscle tissue and help cut down the soreness in about half the time. The amino acids will help speed up repair of the tissue as well.

A moderate dose of ibuprofen is OK and will help with the pain. I hope you feel better! Make sure you're drinking 1-1.5 gallons of water a day. That'll help too.
  • MrMeowGi
    MrMeowGi Posts: 171
    Good rest time , get yourself some recovery tech, bcaa's and such, you shouldnt really hurt after you have worked all parts for about a week. But the burn is the best part?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    depends. you need to take a rest day also. bear in mind that 90 minutes a day is a lot and isn't even necessary.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS, google it for more info) will go away with time. Stretching, plenty of water, and eating enough will help. I stretch 2-3 times a day after my workout, and take a really hot shower to help the muscles relax. If you're at the point where you have trouble sitting down/standing up, try soaking in a hot bath for a while.

It's natural, completely healthy, and overall will go away with time.
  • zero200196
    zero200196 Posts: 7 Member
    One day rest in between muscle group workouts, body needs 1 day rest. Protein intake directly after workouts improves muscle recovery immensely. If you went extra hardcore and are still new-ish then could take 1.5 days.
    Otherwise "Pain is weakness leaving the body" unless its like serious acute pain, in which case need to stop that particular exercise or move down weights.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Perhaps 90 min a day is too much. By that I mean you should be mixing cardio and weights in that 90 min. Not just straight weights. If you are mixing things up on a regular basis just remember it will get better. My back still KILLS me when I walk. But the pain is a lot less than it used to be. My knees and my feet no longer hurt after 6 months so that is a great thing. The more I work on my core the better off my back will be. If something is hurting try to work on what will help make it stronger. Good luck to you!
  • just another week or two and you will feel so much better! I do 2.5 hours almost every day, im rarely in pain, and feel great.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    There are tools such as foam rollers that can certainly help. Use it and it helps prepare you for your next workout especially when you over train. A good massage also helps. You can add in some yoga which also helps. I assume you are including stretching and recover time.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    You may need a magnesium supplement. If you're sweating a lot you'll lose it, and muscle pain is associated with being low in magnesium. Works for me. Not sure about all these answers suggesting you'll always be in pain. Seems a pretty extreme to me. Unless you're trying to become the next iron man/woman/Arnie, why put yourself through so much? I'd rather be healthy than over the top.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Perhaps 90 min a day is too much. By that I mean you should be mixing cardio and weights in that 90 min. Not just straight weights. If you are mixing things up on a regular basis just remember it will get better. My back still KILLS me when I walk. But the pain is a lot less than it used to be. My knees and my feet no longer hurt after 6 months so that is a great thing. The more I work on my core the better off my back will be. If something is hurting try to work on what will help make it stronger. Good luck to you!

It's a mix. Today I"m doing cardio (Zumba and walking/eliptical), yesterday was working with my trainer, lifting weights and swimming, before that was another cardio day, Monday was yoga and walking.I'm trying not to do one muscle group over and over. I'm pretty sure my muscles are well confused. My brain certainly is. :tongue:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    You'll adjust soon. Make sure you're getting adequate protein, potassium, and magnesium. The first round of DOMS is the worst, sounds like you're in the thick of it right now. Sounds like you're keeping moving, but even on rest days when you've got DOMS, light exercise like taking a walk really helps alleviate the soreness, even though it will seem like the worst thing you can imagine.

That reminds me- add adequate rest to the list. You NEED rest to allow your muscles to repair themselves. It's not optional, or lazy, it's a necessity to avoid burnout and injury. "Active Rest" can include activities like walking, yoga, light cycling, etc if you want to keep moving and burn a few extra kcals.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Never, you just learn to like the pain, sweet sweet pain. No, just kidding, it does get better, but it fluctuates from time to time.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    meLOVES the hurt...bring it ON!