Lunch Hour Workouts?

Options
I start a new job on Monday (go me). Problem is, its an HOUR lunch break! Current job is half hour, i get time to eat, check the news, send a few texts... thats about it!

But going on to a full hour, im not going to be able to find many things to do and be bored stiff! So 1 or 2 days a week, i maybe try and fit in additional exercise, im sure lots do it, but what do you do? And how do you over come the SWEAT and SMELLY issue that comes with it!

Cheers!

Note: im a runner/cyclist and the new job is on an industrial estate miles from life, no mind leisure centres :)

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have an hour for lunch as well. I run or cycle every day. Not bad now that it's cooler outside but there are showers here for the warmer months. We also have a running trail. The company I work for is big and is big into employees being active.
    Once you start working, ask around to see if there are others that run or cycle at lunch. Great way to meet people fast too.
    Good luck!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Cheers for that, good idea!

As for showers, I have no clue, but im going off the premise that there are non, baby wipes i guess maybe, that what i use when i cycle to work.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    if it's extra bonus exercise in addition to what you normally do, just fit in a half hour brisk walk. With cooler weather, you don't even need to worry about a sweat. But it gets you moving and out in the fresh air.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I work out at lunch...I use baby wipes and deodorant! A little of the "dry shampoo" and touch up of make up and i'm good to go.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm also a runner, but make the best out of my lunchbreak by going for a brisk 3 mile walk at a local track when it's not too warm outside (less than 72 or so degrees). I'm a little warm when I get back to the office, but not dripping with sweat and after a few minutes in the A/C office, you wouldn't even know I went out.

It's not much, but it's better than nothing.
  • RopenChoke
    RopenChoke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I run stairs in the building or go for a run outside or do an ab workout. We have showers, but when I'm short on time, baby wipes and deodorant work just fine.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I workout on lunch daily and it is almost always an extensive cardio session, to avoid the sweaty/smelly, I just worked out for the rest of the day I use baby wipes.

Congrats on the new job!
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    30 minute run or walk at lunch time...then use a whole lot of wet paper towels to do a 'bath' afterwards! (I usually dont get BO but I do sweat a lot)
    I also do leg exercises at my desk
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Right now the gym and shower area at my work is gutted...but luckily the gym I use outside of work is two minutes away. If I go on my hour break it's 5min to punch out and get to car, 5 min to drive and 5 min to change....I work out for 40 minutes, and go back to work all gross because I work in an office with six other people, my desk is the far side of the office, my boss said it doesn't matter, and everyone leaves an hour before I do anyway, so mostly when I'm all gross I'm alone haha.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I work out at lunch...I use baby wipes and deodorant! A little of the "dry shampoo" and touch up of make up and i'm good to go.

I do this too...although I'm lucky and we DO have a shower at work but so many people work out, it can be tough to get in there. And I'm the type of person that needs to shower or at least change right away. Congrats on the new job and longer lunch break!
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do whatever workout your heart desires.... wet wipes, DO for the BO, and a hair dryer usually gets me back into clean mode :)
  • nakcuh
    Options
    I do a brisk walk, you'll manage a couple of miles in that time.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    The guy in the cubicle next to me works out during lunch. He skips his morning and afternoon break and makes his lunch 50 minutes. He works out and showers (our fitness room has an attached locker room). He never stinks.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have an hour for lunch but I couldn't workout on my lunch break. I get far too sweaty to be able to go back to work.
  • ukstarlight05
    Options
    I get to take up to an hr lunch break, and I spend it in the gym... I try to work out for 35-40 mins and bring stuff to shower and refresh myself for the rest of the day. I find working out at work really helps me get through the day, and makes the afternoon go by much quicker than days I don't visit the gym. If your work doesn't have a gym, you could go for a light jog outside and then freshen up in the bathroom. I feel like moving around and doing something is better than sitting around and eating! lol ;)
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    thanks all, looks like brisk walks, and sponge baths of heavier/hotter days. I just thought id make use of the extra time ill get, as iknow ill get bored regularly. Real shame there is no gym near by as i would love for that to be my resistance sessions, be perfect timing!