Runners: Speed Training for Distance

Options

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I also say Yassos are a 100% accurate predictor of one's ability to run Yassos...
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    when i marathon trained, i did tempo run one week, then a speed workout the next, back and forth. i was logging about 40-65 miles a week with a long run once a week that was somewhere between 12-20 miles.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I tend to disagree with the posts in here. I'm training for a half marathon and think that sprint work is an important part of that training. I do minimum 2 sprint sessions a week and one long slower run on the weekend. This doesn't mean that you are focusing on speed but sprint work can increase your endurance. HIIT has been shown to be just as, or more effective for increasing endurance as longer steady state runs.

Just something interesting. Google 'Yasso's 800s'. It predicts that if you can run 10x800m in a certain time this will be your marathon time. I.e. 10x800m with each 800 done in 2min40sec would be a 2 hour 40second marathon time.

I respectfully disagree. All the HIIT in the world will not take the place of endurance. Also, 800 repeats (Yassos) are intervals, but not HIIT.

If you read my post you will notice that I didn't actually say that 800 repeats were HIIT. I know the difference between HIIT and interval training. I wasn't even suggesting that the OP use Yasso's as marathon training just put it in there as an interesting thing that I had read about predicting marathon time.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that HIIT, hill work and sprint work is a good thing to include in training for endurance events. Obviously you need to do longer running, I'm not saying that isn't important.

Have a look at this page as a good summary of some studies

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/hiit-vs-continuous-endurance-training-battle-of-the-aerobic-titans

The conclusion

Final Verdict: And the Winner of the Battle of the Aerobic Titans is . . .
    The major goals of most endurance exercise programs are to improve cardiovascular, metabolic and skeletal-muscle function in the body. For years, continuous aerobic exercise has been the chosen method for achieving these goals. However, research shows that HIIT leads to similar and, in some cases, better improvements in less time for some physiological markers. Incorporating HIIT (with appropriate intensity and frequency) into your clients’ cardiovascular training gives them a time-efficient way to reach their goals.

And since both HIIT and continuous aerobic exercise programs improve all of these meaningful physiological and metabolic functions of the human body, incorporating a balance of both programs in clients’ training is clearly the “win-win” approach for successful cardiovascular exercise improvement and performance. Go HIIT and go endurance!
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite speed workouts is doing fartleks or speedplay all you do is find landmarks that are on your route for example telephone poles or mailboxes and you run fast in between one set, then slow down for the next, then speed up, etc.. I love doing these because they are fun and easy to work into any route, Adding speedwork to your shorter routes will help with endurance during your long runs.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My $.02: you don't speed, you need endurance. Work on running without walk breaks. Once you can run for 8 or 10 miles without stopping, then you can add in some speedwork.

+x

If you REALLY want to do "speedwork", do mile repeats, like 4x1mile. But upping your mileage (SLOWLY) to 50-70 mpw will help your speed quite a bit more.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The major goals of most endurance exercise programs are to improve cardiovascular, metabolic and skeletal-muscle function in the body. For years, continuous aerobic exercise has been the chosen method for achieving these goals. However, research shows that HIIT leads to similar and, in some cases, better improvements in less time for some physiological markers. Incorporating HIIT (with appropriate intensity and frequency) into your clients’ cardiovascular training gives them a time-efficient way to reach their goals.

And since both HIIT and continuous aerobic exercise programs improve all of these meaningful physiological and metabolic functions of the human body, incorporating a balance of both programs in clients’ training is clearly the “win-win” approach for successful cardiovascular exercise improvement and performance. Go HIIT and go endurance!

The OP didn't state that they were interested in the best endurance exercise program, but how to run a faster marathon. It's been proven time and again that a proper aerobic base is the key to improving marathon performance and the best way to build that base is to run lots of aerobic miles. If HIIT was the way to go Renato Canova's athletes would be doing it. They aren't.
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I tend to disagree with the posts in here. I'm training for a half marathon and think that sprint work is an important part of that training. I do minimum 2 sprint sessions a week and one long slower run on the weekend. This doesn't mean that you are focusing on speed but sprint work can increase your endurance. HIIT has been shown to be just as, or more effective for increasing endurance as longer steady state runs.

Just something interesting. Google 'Yasso's 800s'. It predicts that if you can run 10x800m in a certain time this will be your marathon time. I.e. 10x800m with each 800 done in 2min40sec would be a 2 hour 40second marathon time.

Doing the Yasso 800's are a great way to gauge what your predicted marathon time COULD be, BUT granted you have the long runs in and endurance levels up.
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Some good points to think about.

A little additional info: I can do a 5K without stopping, but that's about as much as I've tried. I've stuck with intervals on longer runs thus far to avoid knee injury (since I'm still pretty overweight) and to increase distance. I will definitely work on adding distance jogging, though. What many of you have said makes sense.

Also, where I live there are zero hills (literally I'm on the highest part of the island where I live - about 5' up :wink: ). I'd have to travel a few hours to get to hills, but I try to get in lots of strength training to help balance that problem. <-- other suggestions for this while I have your attention?

Firstly well done on your marathon.

I'm no expert (and I don't want to be) but I did start my running about 3 years back using run/walk. In my opinion the best way for you to go without risking injury is to slowly increase the running time between walk breaks before you jump straight into running non stop. This will allow you to build endurance without overdoing it. Then transition into running the full distance. That will improve your times.

It will also probably bring your running pace down (run/walkers tend to run at a higher pace than they should between walk breaks). I know I did. Don't get too disheartenend if the first few races when you run more and walk less are actually slower it will improve as you get stronger.

You know better than anyone else what your body can cope with. Again only my opinion, but the only pace predictor for a marathon is a marathon. I think we have all lost some of the respect this distance deserves (me included). So well done. You finished and you're alive. (the first guy didn't make it)

Pabs
  • kenleyj
    kenleyj Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing your first marathon. That in itself is very life changing. Now that you have done one, you probably want to do it faster. You always PB the first race. The question is, how many 5ks, 10ks, and half marathons have you done? You are using the Galloway method to do your marathon. nothing wrong with that. However, I would strongly recommend that you increase your endurance first. Not to say that you can not incorporate some speed work into your micro cycles, but I would focus on building up the endurance. Starting with some key strategies such as a good diet, good sleep, and consistency. Even in the Galloway method, you can do what are called strides to increase your leg turnover and time. Again, a big Congratulations and good luck.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    My $.02: you don't speed, you need endurance. Work on running without walk breaks. Once you can run for 8 or 10 miles without stopping, then you can add in some speedwork.

^ This. I don't think speed work would be beneficial much if at all until you build up your endurance anyways. You will also find your speed will naturally pick up just by adding mileage. Congrats on finishing your first marathon!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with most everyone about building your endurance and the speed will come after. Best of luck!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Try running 10 x 800M at a good hard pace without some mileage under your belt! You can do them, but they sure won't be fast, and neither will your marathon time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yep. The way to decrease your time is to run more miles. The marathon is between 97% and 99% aerobic, so that is the system that you need to develop. This is done by running lots of slow, easy, conversational pace miles over time.

I just finished my 3rd marathon last month. 85% of the miles I ran were at around a 9:30 pace. The other 15% were a combination of tempo runs that varied between 6:45 and 7:30 pace and once a week doing strides of 100 meters, usually 8 to 10. So, you can see, the vast majority of the mileage was done at an easy pace. Was this plan successful for me? I set a PR in the marathon by 14 minutes, running 3:12. I ran a 6:00 negative split. My overall pace was 7:17, right in the middle of where my tempo runs were. I ran the last 4 miles at 6:51 pace, right at the fastest end of my tempo runs.

So, my easy runs were about two minutes per mile slower than my marathon pace. I think this is a pretty good illustration that running more slow, easy miles will make you faster.

Good luck on your next one!

That's impressive! Awesome

As for the HIIT debate...my expirement of one showed HIIT was absolutley meaningless for my endurance. I was a sprinter in college, so obviously we did HIIT type workouts until the cows came home. Because my college was small I also did a little bit of XC just to keep in shape year round. I got absolutely annihilated by the distance runners even though I would destroy them during any "speed" workout we did in practice. hills, repeats, etc, I finsihed first. Come an actual 5 mile race, I finished near the very back end of the runners.
  • gmallan
    Options

The OP didn't state that they were interested in the best endurance exercise program, but how to run a faster marathon. It's been proven time and again that a proper aerobic base is the key to improving marathon performance and the best way to build that base is to run lots of aerobic miles. If HIIT was the way to go Renato Canova's athletes would be doing it. They aren't.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the OP isn't a professional marathon runner and possibly doesn't have limitless time to work out. As this article points out HIIT can give you good bang for your buck in terms of time spent and improvements in endurance. Tell me how improving endurance won't improve your time and how sprint work won't increase leg power which will also help speed.

For the record I've never said don't do longer steady runs. All my posts say that you should be doing at least one long steady per week. Just pointing out that there are other options for training and that I honestly don't think that all your training should be steady state.

I've been doing a combination of HIIT, interval sprints, hill work and longer runs and my longer run times are getting quicker per km even though I'm increasing the distance. Must be doing something right
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the OP isn't a professional marathon runner and possibly doesn't have limitless time to work out. As this article points out HIIT can give you good bang for your buck in terms of time spent and improvements in endurance. Tell me how improving endurance won't improve your time and how sprint work won't increase leg power which will also help speed.

For the record I've never said don't do longer steady runs. All my posts say that you should be doing at least one long steady per week. Just pointing out that there are other options for training and that I honestly don't think that all your training should be steady state.

I've been doing a combination of HIIT, interval sprints, hill work and longer runs and my longer run times are getting quicker per km even though I'm increasing the distance. Must be doing something right

never mind.
  • gmallan
    Options
    [/quote]

never mind.
    [/quote]

Great response
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

And up to a point, this may work for you. How are your 30km+ long runs going, and do you think you can add another 12km on after that?

The OP wants a faster marathon, to do this they will need to be able to sustain faster effort over many hours. HIIT, speedwork etc... are all great ways to maximize speed at current endurance, but are not ways to truly improve distance running endurance. The OP is a beginner, the science on running (surprise, there is a lot of it.) is pretty clear, as a beginner, the biggest gains (outside of weight loss) come from increasing average weekly mileage. Taking shortcuts with the goal of getting the same benefit of base miles will usually result in a DNF at worst and a deathmarch finish at best.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

One of many priceless nuggets of advice that arc has passed on to me when I started c25k and culminated with a faster than expected first marathon time, all inside of a year.

I am comfortable in knowing I won't win races, but as a long distance runner, the distance comes before my speed.

However, the more miles you run and log, the faster in time you will become. I have never done any sort of dedicated speed work/fartleks/HIIT types of runs...I max out my ' long runs' and make sure I benefit from what they are there for..to build ENDURANCE...everything else is secondary to me.

Congratulations on completing your marathon and have a very long,healthy,happy and rewarding running career!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I also say Yassos are a 100% accurate predictor of one's ability to run Yassos...

That was clever.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

That was clever.

And quite true.