Is it realistic to be able to...

Options
I have a formal event to go to the second to last weekend in May. I have a dress that I already own, but the last time I wore it, I was about twenty five pounds lighter!
Is it realistic to be able to lose around twenty five pounds in two months? Or should I start dress shopping?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It could happen, but is not likely. That would be more than a 3 pound per week loss. It might be possible if you had a great great deal of weight to lose (in the 100's) but if not, I would start shopping.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    agreed, that's pretty aggressive, very few people can sustain that kind of weight loss, and over 2 months, that can be dangerous without doctor supervision. I wouldn't attempt it.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Not to burst your bubble, but not likely. At least not in a healthy way. That would be over 3 pounds in a week with NO setbacks. 1-2 pounds a week is the healthy way to lose weight. I hope you like shopping!! :) Maybe that can be a good goal dress for your next occasion!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Probably. But you wouldn't be doing it the healthy or safe way.

I would hold off from buying another dress until the end of April at least. I am fitting back into clothes I didn't expect to be at my current weight. It really depends on the individual, but if you lose inches in the right places it'll fit. I'm currently fitting in pants I last wore when I weighed 10 pounds less. No way did I expect them to fit now, but it's because I lost several inches off my waist. Just exercise and eat right and evaluate your progress in about 6 weeks! Good luck!
  • erinm
    erinm Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I lost 26 pounds in about 11 weeks. It is possible, but takes an enormous amount of dedication and commitment. I work out
    1 1/2 to 2 hours a day. I keep my calorie count to around 1500. I don't drink alcohol right now, and keep the carbs minimal. You can do it though. Good luck!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    It does depend on how much you have to lose, lighter people tend to lose less... while bigger people can lose more weight in a short amount of time. I've been losing about 20 pounds a month, but it's tappering off as I get closer to my goal weight. You can do it, but make sure you do it in a safe fashion.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    While the 25 lbs may be a bit of a stretch, 10-15 lbs may be doable. And then would alterations or different undergarments help the dress to fit more comfortably? Formal dresses can be expensive and alterations and a body shaper may be more affordable.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Depending on your circumstances when you fit in to the dress, you may not NEED to lose that much in order for it to fit again. If you are working out, doing toning and strength training in addition to cardio, you will lose lbs, but more importantly INCHES, so it is possible you could lose within the safe range and still be down enough to fit. 11 weeks from today, Mar 15th is May 31st, and at 1.5 to 1.75 lbs. per week, you could be down 16-20 lbs. It might work. I agree with the others to hold off on dress shopping until the end of April. By that time you will have a better idea of where you are.

And look at it this way. If you shoot for wearing that dress and are not able to make it work, look how much progress you will have made in the process, and the worst that could happen is you will end up with a new dress in the process, or a "new" old dress that now fits you!!
  • Ninaad
    Ninaad Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responces! I will keep working at it and see where I stand mid/end April. Then I will have to see about a new dress or not.
  • ngm1692
    ngm1692 Posts: 55
    Options
    while it may not be realistic to lose 25 pounds in 2 months, it is possible, if you've been eating well and working out, that you can still fit in the dress. size doesn't care so much about how much you weigh. have you tried it on?

i have a dress that i made when i weighed 25 pounds less than i currently am (about 10 years ago). it's now loose on me.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I would say do your best and have a b ack up dress that way if you can't get into your old dress u have something to wear and don't have to look for one at the last minute.

in the mean time watch what you eat, drink water, WATER, WATER AND MORE WATER.
    forget about ice tea, fruit punch, diet coke, anything that isnt water.
    change all your bread/ pasta to wheat
    eat tons of fruits and veggies
    and do lots of cardio to shrink your body.

the scale sometimes is not the best indicator of what size clothes will fit.
    try doing the 30 day shred, its intense and a lot of people have been successful at loses inches around their waist, hips, thighs, etc.

thats my advice. I'm doing the shred now. in 2 weeks I ave lost 2lbs (while not watching my diet) and a half inch all over my body (@ each part like waist, hips, thighs, etc)

GOOD LUCK!