P90X - Calories Burned??

Options
Does anyone know how many calories are burned during any of the Lean P90X workouts? Beachbody.com indicates a good estimate of 600 calories per workout. That seems like alot!

Replies

• trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's true! I wear a heart rate monitor during my P90X workouts and average around 600 - sometimes more if I stay strong and don't skip any exercises (like resting and drinking water and watching them do 2 or 3 different exercises before jumping back in) :) If you stay consistent and don't miss more than a day here or there for those 90 days you WILL see a difference!!
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I burn 400-450 when I wear my HRM but I don't do it exactly like they do. I have to take breaks occasionally and I'm sure my form isn't as good when I start to get tired. If you do the moves exactly like they do in the video I could see it burning 600 :)
  • TheYankeeBelle
    Options
    I've been doing P90X, but I use a really good heart rate monitor. Depending on the workout, like Core Synergistics or Shoulders & Arms, it varies. But I've definitely hit over 600 calories on Core and Cardio. I would invest in a simple heart rate monitor; Polar makes a good, easy to use version.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You will not burn 600 per workout. It is best to use a heart rate monitor.
  • RaniGhandi
    RaniGhandi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how many calories I lose a workout, but in less than 4 months I lost 21 lbs from P90X and dieting. It was hard work but its really worth it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories are burned during any of the Lean P90X workouts? Beachbody.com indicates a good estimate of 600 calories per workout. That seems like alot!

Get an HRM. Depending on your body "make-up" and chemistry you can burn a lot. I just did the Plyometrix W/HRM for 30 minutes and burned over 400. Anything done without an HRM is an uneducated guess.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

You are mis-guided. Not everyone has your body "make-up"
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

You are mis-guided. Not everyone has your body "make-up"

Wait, are you saying that I am misguided?
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout for the day.

My HRM yesterday for Core Synergistics said I burned 530 calories. Since I worked out for an hour and would have burned about 80 calories during that time doing nothing anyway, I subtract those "maintenance calories" and put in 450 for what I burned.

But on some days like the weight lifting days, I don't usually burn more than 300.
  • spdevine
    Options
    What about for the Strength excercises? It doesn't give you an option to include Calories burned. For example, I did Shoulder & Arms, AB Ripper X this morning... I added it as a strength excercise and it only asked for Sets/Reps/Weight... no Calorie count?
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I used a heart rate monitor for my first round of p90x. Some workouts were easy 700 - 900 calories burned according to heart rate monitor.

And don't record them as strength exercises. Log them as cardio so you can include the calories burned.
  • ebsshassan
    ebsshassan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    try this site.....

http://p90xcalories.com/
  • tvesterso
    Options
    I burned well over 1200 calories doing plyometrics according to a brand new, top of the line polar heart rate monitor. I do not take breaks hardly at all, maybe stop once during the midway point. If you go hard you will burn serious calories. As far as strength workouts, I have been easily getting a thousand or more on my monitor if you include ab ripper x. Go hard baby!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would guess that how much you burn has a lot do with your own current physical fitness level and weight. I am in my second month and wear a HRM. Only one time have I burned more than 500 calories. Most often it is around 300-400 (and that is for both strength and cardio). The 500+ calorie burn was on a legs day.
  • DGHayden
    DGHayden Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I burned A LOT of calories doing P90X. I recorded all of the workouts as cardio so that I could include the calories. On days like Plyo I would sometimes burn up to 1200 calories. I wear a HRM. Unless you wear a HRM you will not get an accurate count for your calories, anything else is just an estimate and we are all different. My HRM was my best investment for my weight loss goals to date. It really helps you gauge what you are doing.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar ft 60. It gives me excellent data. Calories range depending on now how hard you bring it. I find the p90x web site over estimates a little. It's still really handy though.

Any one doing p90X is welcome to join an excellent group I belong to called P90X/Insanity The Game Changers

Click Community
    Click Groups and click “P90X/Insanity the Game Changers

Lots of helpful people that support each other on a daily basis.
  • OnlyOneOcean1
    Options
    It's approx. 765 or less, depending on your current muscle mass. More muscle, more cals burned.
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I tend to burn 300-500 tops... The high end is usually cardio days...I use a HRM so I don't have to guess...as stated before Polar makes a great one and it's cheap...I also think it depends on how much you weigh and how tall you are...I'm five feet tall and I'm sure someone who is six feet tall and weighs more than I do will burn more...get a HRM...it's a must have!!!
  • wp95jma
    wp95jma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 46 of P90X Lean, I feel like I must be a slacker - LOL. I always wear my HRM during workouts and I never burn over 400 calories. It depends on the day of the workout and how long that days program is but I'd say I average about 300 calories per workout. I'm 5'0" tall and weigh 142 (my goal is 125ish). I've only lost 7lbs since I started but I don't follow the diet program because it seemed too complicated to me. I just log all my food on myfitnesspal. I know that I've lost several inches in the first 30 days I lost 2" in my waist and 2" in my hips and I also lost 1% body fat according to my scale.
  • kowdung
    Options