Who wants to help me recover?

Options
Alright guys. Going to ask a (probably) dumb request and most likely get chewed out by some people, but oh well. I am on this site for support in recovering from anorexia. I have had an eating disorder since I was 6 (I am now 20) and grew up in the house of a recovering anorexic....so the world has become slightly new to me. Example---had never had frosted mini wheats till a month or so ago, or prepackaged rice krispies. We were never allowed these things.
Well now my nutritionist has me on nightly sweet treats I like to call my Triumph Treats. Due to some complications from a gallbladder surgery as well as a slight lactose intolerance there are a lot of things my body just doesn't tolerate, but seeing as I really don't know what sweet things are (and she isn't letting me count my mini wheats and dessert flavored yogurts any more) I was wondering what kinds of things you all know. Let's not go crazy and throw me insane challenge foods because I do have a fear of fat intake, but the only way to get over fear is to face it. So I am here asking for some ideas. Thanks everyone :) Happy holidays.

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am not really supposed to have any real sweets but I break my doctors rules and have some dark chocolate occasionally. I also have a power crunch protein bar regularly. Again, NOT recommended by my dr. but I dont care. They tasted like a cookie. You could try baking some desserts. That way you can control ingredients and limit processed foods(if that is something you try to limit).
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Although I havn't made much from the following website, I love dreaming about it! Lots of single serving or small quantity recipies that are made with healthier ingredients! Yumm!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
  • bgraz1994
    bgraz1994 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Start simple and healthy, say with dark chocolate covered almond, frozen yogurt topped with fruit
    I would defiently look into taking up baking if I were you, homemade treats are always healthier than pre packaged ones! (You control what goes into them, no preservatives, etc)

Try making oatmeal chocalate chip cookies or muffins :)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Do you have a trader Joes nearby? If so, grab a tub of their Ultimate Vanilla Wafers and a jar of their lemon curd. Happy dipping!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have an insane sweet tooth and could give you ideas for days! Lol. I like orange smore's pic! Ever try plush puffs? They are gourmet marshmallows that come in different flavors. For a great candy selections try Cost Plus World Market. I'm a chocolate person myself, but that's really high fat so you might need to work up to it.

Good for you for putting yourself outside your comfort zone. Don't worry about the treats being healthy or not healthy... I think that defeats the purpose of the exercise.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain or lose weight?your profile says you want to lose 20 lbs and you've lost 9 so far.I thought you were trying to gain weight.I must of read it wrong.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate, home made. 3 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cocoa powder, 1 cup milk (I use nonfat, but whatever you prefer, can tolerate). Sweet, but not ridiculous and if made with nonfat milk, very low fat.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain or lose weight?your profile says you want to lose 20 lbs and you've lost 9 so far.I thought you were trying to gain weight.I must of read it wrong.
    I have lost since joining and am trying to gain back. The ticker thing doesn't work but basically I need to gain 30 lbs to get to a normal weight.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's ice cream in Phish Food. God. In. A. Cup.
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Honey on toast...total melted heaven (good fat too). :flowerforyou:
  • ersulas
    ersulas Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations to you on taking steps to improve your health!! ♥
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to try a s'more. I can't imagine a childhood without those. This is the time of the year for caramel covered apples, yum. You can get them without the nuts so they are lower in fat.

So happy for you getting healthy, makes my heart smile. You are worth it.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I love pudding - either the quick kind from a box, or the old fashioned boil it on a stove-top.

I did discover a great pudding to make at home, it is simple purreed avocados, some almond butter, honey and cocoa powder put in a blender/food processor until it is smooth. It has healthy fats in it and is not overly sweet but satisfies the desert craving.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know this may have seemed like such a silly question. Even got some pm about things I had never thought of eating. Like swedish fish, ginger snaps, something called s'mores oatmeal. World of possibilities.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats about going into recovery! You're really, really brave.

How about this: Next time you're at the supermarket, pick a food that you've never tried before, and try it! It could end up your new favourite ;)