Tofurkey

Options
13»

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Tofu is nasty, in my opinion. The real thing is SO healthy that I can't imagine trying to substitute it for any reason.

(1) Tofu is not nasty, perhaps you've never had well-prepared tofu and that is the issue.
    (2) How can a food that grows up in disgustingly filthy conditions, being fed god-knows-what, be considered "SO healthy."
    (3) Perhaps you should consider ethics as a reason--from the treatment of animals to the enviroment. If you don't get this, I'd suggest reading about large-scale industrial farming.
    Yeah, the consumption of brutally murdered bloody animal corpse is SO much healthier than the more compassionate "lower food chain" options. That's what the majority of the research says-lol. I've yet to find an MFP veg thread that omnis don't tell us we eat nasty things, we don't get the right vitamins, we're al unhealthy because we only eat sugar and carbs, we're all going to die because we can't possibly get enough protein ugh...
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Tofu is nasty, in my opinion. The real thing is SO healthy that I can't imagine trying to substitute it for any reason.

You've never eaten Tofurky,,,why are you commenting?...One of many good reason is this: Turkeys beaks are cut off with a 400 degree electric knife so a forced-feeding tube can be shoved in their face and down their throat...

It remains there for months, until the day they are killed for Thanksgiving.

....just eat turkey...But don't pretend there's no reason to substitute.
    Yes this, there are a lot of reasons to subsitute. In addition to ethical reasons, some people just don't like meat.

I have not tried it, but I have wondered about it. Maybe I will give it a go this year.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like it! I haven't eaten meat in a long time though, so I don't think of it as fake turkey... it's just tofurkey.
    Also, I double the basting liquid, otherwise it gets dried out.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    It's horribly gross. I used to eat strict vegetarian and I wanted to like it but.... GROSS

IT follows my rule. If vegetarian food is trying to taste like meat IT IS GOING TO SUCK. [...] The only exception is the "Chick" pattys from Morningstar farms. They actually taste like chicken. What sort of wizardy is this?

Yes! more like chicken than some "real" nuggets -- and no salmonella!! Morningstar definitely has wizards on staff.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love it. I should point out, however, that my wife is an excellent cook and we don't just do it right out of the box. She adds and herb rub and then slow cooks it in some orange juice with mushrooms and veggies.

We also like enjoy their pizza, cold cuts, and sausages (although, to be honest, Lightline sausages are a little better).

Years ago their was another turkey substitute called "Now and Zen" which we actually preferred, but they went out of business. Tofurkey is a close second, though.

I remember Now and Zen. It was delicious!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I worked in a Natural Food store and they had this thing called Celebration Loaf it is really good and acceptable for Thanksgiving

I will look for this! Does Whole Foods carry this?

Whole Foods does carry it. It is made by Field Roast. They have a lot of good products.

CR-both-10-11.jpg
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    My cousin is a vegetarian and she makes it every year for Thanksgiving. I tried a bite and thought it was okay, but I prefer to eat the real thing. What she does that is really good is make a gravy that has rosemary and mushrooms. It makes it so much better.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The Tofurkey deli slices are soooooo good. I get the kind that's supposed to taste like ham and it actually tastes just like it on a sandwich. I don't know about the other varieties though.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

You've never eaten Tofurky,,,why are you commenting?...One of many good reason is this: Turkeys beaks are cut off with a 400 degree electric knife so a forced-feeding tube can be shoved in their face and down their throat...

Wow I don't think that is all turkeys man I have been to turkey farms before and it was nothing like that

Most turkey's in the US live in horrible factory farming conditions. I can't speak to the force feeding specifically, but I do know that the beaks of chicks are routinely cut off to keep them from pecking at each other in stressful, overcrowded conditions. In general, even a little research will show horrible living conditions and systematic maltreatment.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I must have made it wrong! My son is a vegetarian and we try to accommodate him. I don't think anyone that has tasted it, my son included, enjoys it.

So, what would a vegetarian prefer for Thanksgiving?

Obviously I cannot speak for all vegetarians, but every year I make myself and my husband (who is an omni) a lovely Thanksgiving dinner of foods we enjoy. His favorite food, hands down, is asparagus sauteed with shallots, so I always make that. I also always make mashed potatoes, because I consider them a hassle to make, and hence they are a rare treat. Some years I also make bread, or squash, or whatever else seems yummy at the time. I always make some sort of pie, depending on what we feel like that year. The last few years Thanksgiving has been vegan, and just as enjoyable. Really, isn't it about being with someone you love and spending time together, not gnawing on a cadaver?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and thought it was pretty awful! I've since been using the Thanksgiving recipes from the Post Punk Kitchen: http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/holiday-thanksgiving/. The chickpea cutlets and gravy are fantastic, and so easy to make. I know to make extras for my non-veg family members!!
    That's one awsome website!
    I have to try chickpea cutlets this week.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Went to a friends last year who made it. I actually really liked it. It was stuffed with wild rice and he had marinaded it in some sort of soy type sauce. It was really good. The texture is a bit of a stretch and it definately did not taste like turkey...but overall it was enjoyable. must all be in the prep!
  • shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love the Tofurky Deli Slices! I haven't tried the large Tofurky stuffed with rice/breadcrumbs but plan on trying it soon.
    The deli slices took a bit of time to get used to but I eat them a few times a week now and I love them!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Really, isn't it about being with someone you love and spending time together, not gnawing on a cadaver?

You get the best of both worlds if you are a cannibal!

I keed I keed I keed ...
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options

Wow I don't think that is all turkeys man I have been to turkey farms before and it was nothing like that

PM me...I'll send ya the links....I'll warn you, tho...You might change your mind about eating turkey.