feel so out of control, drinking?

Options
ok. this probably isn't the right place to talk about this, but i got no where else to turn. I had a problem in the past with alcohol. was an alcoholic. drank almost every night, very heavily. i was doing so good for so long. was dieting very strictly, no drinking. and now in the past couple weeks, i think i'm relapsing. i find myself drinking very heavily almost nightly. i don't know what to do, to stop myself. i feel so out of control. any advice?

Replies

• Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am no expert on addiction, but maybe you should attend an AA meeting or confide in someone close to you. Whatever you do, don't try to go it alone. Please get the help you need; there is no shame in asking for it :-)

Sooze
  • friloux88
    friloux88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't relate well to your situation, but I've been known to drink a lot when I'm in the mood for it (in the past) - but with my diet I can't afford to spend the calories on drinks, and I feel badly about myself when I do so I try to avoid it alltogether. same thing with binge eating - its another thing I just need to keep under control because I can let it spiral out of control... :(
    But I think you need to address why this is a recurring issue for you, and ask your friends and family for support, its never an easy road to walk, especially by yourself.
    xoxo
  • Carol_123
    Carol_123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I haven't really checked it out but there is a website called Moderate Drinking, kind of a pre-AA thing to see if you can have a healthy relationship with alcohol. I know for myself I can be good with drinking until I tell myself I can never have it, then I am more likely to binge on something. I also find that I tend to drink when I am not really facing the emotions I have going on. I tend to be an avoider and alcohol does 2 things for me... initially it frees me from negativity but then eventually makes me face what is really bothering me. Don't label yourself or beat yourself up too badly because that can spiral too, just think about your health. You can have a drink if you want but ask yourself why do you want it ,or ten of them, and is it really worth being hungover or so tired you don't enjoy your day tomorrow with your children and hate yourself for today's decision.

There was a great South Park episode on drinking I wish I knew the name of. Only you know how serious of a problem this is for you but at your age, when most 20 year olds are partying, you probably just need to take some time to think about your underlying reasons for going too far sometimes. -xx

I
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Go to AA now, NOW !! Please, don't think about it, just go. I can relate. BTW, you can't say WAS an alcoholic. Once you are an alcoholic, you will always be an alcoholic. It's just that when you quit drinking, you are a recovering alcoholic. You need help before you go down that slippery slope again, you know what I"m talking about.
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    I'm a little in the same boat. I have never been to AA but I have woken up days where the first thing I think about is fixing a drink. Its a hard road. Everyday is different. Just keep your head up and believe that you can do it!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Very heavy drinker here. Join my board http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7328-staying-sober

Stopped July 28, 2012. Staying strong. Don't fall into it. Hit a meeting or call a friend. Do something, don't leave us.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not an expert here, but I'd say if you feel out of control then that's a sign you have a problem.

As with all negative habits, I'm into replacing them. If you have a desire to drink go to an AA meeting, take a walk, go workout, call a friend, go to a movie, do anything but drink.
  • Lcam510
    Lcam510 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you recognize that you are feeling out of control then now is the time to get help. My Dad just got out of a 28 day inpatient rehab program for alcoholism. He said when he first realized he had a problem he was too embarassed to ask for help and it just got worse and worse. Go to a meeting, talk to someone.

Sorry, if I sound preachy but we literally just picked my Dad up last Saturday so this is till very fresh.

Good luck!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No expert on abstinence, but I am sat here with a pint of cider & a bottle of Famous Grouse crying out to me, first time in two weeks

It is a problem I am not sure AA is the answer, never been, and I suspect it depends where you live, may be good in towns & cities, how about in rural areas?

I slip off, no I fall, off the wagon sometimes, like today, but will just get back on tomorrow

I know it is not good, but same must apply to those who just desire a choc bar, or burger, bag of chips etc, we just have to survive our cravings and move on to tomorrow

Neverstray, thanks, I will check it out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7328-staying-sober
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a little in the same boat. I have never been to AA but I have woken up days where the first thing I think about is fixing a drink. Its a hard road. Everyday is different. Just keep your head up and believe that you can do it!
    If you want to go, they will welcome you with open arms. I know from experience that the first meeting is hard to walk into. But once you walk in, you will be welcomed, not judged, just welcomed. They have meeting in every town, rural, city, everywhere. Good luck.
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it but I know I have a problem with alcohol, need to have a drink everyday majority of the time more....would be nothing for me to finish of a bottle of wine, 1/2 a bottle or a bunch of beer. At the time I think I'm not to drunk but wake up the next morning with the evening before being a blur (depending on my work schedule this could be 3-5 days a week. So I guess I'm what they call a "functioning" alcoholic. Part of me wants to change it but the other part still enjoys it so for me it's not the time. You can add me if you need someone to talk to.
  • jrdeal
    jrdeal Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One of the real issues with alcohol is that it is a progressive disease. It will not get better from here unless you learn how to deal with it. You have a disease and it's just going to get worse unless you admit it and stop drinking. It is difficult to admit hat you have an issue - mine isn't alcohol but I have my own. Admitting it is the first step. Your next step is to get help. I wish you the best.