teach?

Options
What is the best way to teach ones self how to portion control meals so I dont eat alot?

and what are some tricks you use to portion control?

Replies

• EHeadings
    EHeadings Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    a food scale. Easiest way to watch portion sizes- it seriously changed my life! Invest in one and you will not be sorry.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Start with leaner foods like skinless chicken breasts and steamed veggies can not over eat calories with them.:happy:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The first week I started here, I just weighted and measured everything I was normally eating. I didn't make any changes to how I ate - just logged what I normally did.

It was eye-opening - it was really easy to see from that where I could make improvements and changes.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's simple but drink a glass of water before meals..
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Well only after having my babies to lose the weight I would use a gerber baby bowl and what fit in that bowl would be what I ate!:bigsmile:
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Seconding a food scale. They are cheap and will surprise you when you see how much a serving really is.
  • BrotherJosephBlake2013
    Options
    What are good portion Sizes to eat?
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    For most lunches and dinners I usually do four to five ounce piece of meat and 2 cups of veggies. For breakfast a couple eggs and a few slices of turkey bacon or 1/2 cup of yogurt. I find I control my portions best when I

-Use my food scale and measuring cups/spoons
    -Plan my meals out ahead of time.
    -Bring snacks and lunch with me instead of buying when Im out
  • BrotherJosephBlake2013
    Options
    the weird thing is I never eat breakfast I Haven't since high school and that was 9 years ago.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Smaller meals more often works for me. If I go too long without eating, I'm so hungry when I do eat that I sometimes eat too much. Even when I don't over eat, when I get that hungry, I sometimes feel that out of control eating machine I used to be, welling up inside of me. Not good...
  • mariarose88
    Options
    smaller plates! it tricks your eyes into thinking you're eating more!
  • Water before the meal, smaller plates and filling your plate up with low-calorie vegetables.

Also, exercise! I'm much less inclined to overeat if I have some good work I don't want to undo. :smile:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    What are good portion Sizes to eat?

I highly suggest pre-planning your meals. Enter them into your food diary at the beginning of the day so you know exactly how much everything you can have and then just use whatever measurements make that happen.

Also, you're best bet is to cook at home as much as you can. You can eat a LOT more volume of food for the same calorie value as out-to-eat food, plus you have a lot more control over your portions.

I also second the food scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons, etc. Labels will tell you what the serving size is for each item also.
  • wluck
    wluck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Whenever i buy a large quantity of food, i immediately weight it and separate it into individual servings....ziploc bags are great and i put one serving into each ziploc bag. then when it comes time to cook or eat, everything is already measured out for me
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to eat breakfast either. Now it's my favorite meal of the day!

As to what portion sizes are good for you, I'd start by looking at your overall calorie allowance and divide up your day. For example, I eat about 1700 calories a day. And I like to snack, so I don't want to use up all my calories on meals. I eat about 450 calories at breakfast, 400 at lunch, 400 at dinner, and 450 throughut the day in snacks. Then I make sure in each of those meals/snacks, I have a well rounded representation of protein, healthy carbs, and fats. And I try to get in veggies and fruit wherever possible.

Your are welcome to friend me if you want to look at my food diaries for ideas! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (I don't claim to be an expert, but I think I eat pretty healthy, and not crazy restrictive by any means).
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As you work with the food tracker you will learn what a normal portion is. It's different for different foods. Also read the nutrition labels on foods that have them. eg; cold cereals. Measure out the serving amount stated and see what it looks like in your bowl. I use smaller bowls and plates so it looks like I have a full plate.

This is a learning process.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes depend on what you need to fit your calories for the day. For example if I eat a higher calorie lunch and don't have a lot left for supper, I would need smaller portions than normal
  • gkershner
    Options
    I agree with the food scale and measuring cups. I also will cook a week's worth of boneless, skinless chicken or pork chops on the weekend to take for lunch during the week so it is all ready to go and add frozen veggies to the lunch container the night before since I have a microwave at work.
  • blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    instead of eating 3 big meals eat 5 to 6 small meals what I heard is you never should eat til your full but to eat enough that your ok like i.e I ate a six sub but I could eat the rest of my sub
  • BrotherJosephBlake2013
    Options
    I didn't used to eat breakfast either. Now it's my favorite meal of the day!

As to what portion sizes are good for you, I'd start by looking at your overall calorie allowance and divide up your day. For example, I eat about 1700 calories a day. And I like to snack, so I don't want to use up all my calories on meals. I eat about 450 calories at breakfast, 400 at lunch, 400 at dinner, and 450 throughut the day in snacks. Then I make sure in each of those meals/snacks, I have a well rounded representation of protein, healthy carbs, and fats. And I try to get in veggies and fruit wherever possible.

Your are welcome to friend me if you want to look at my food diaries for ideas! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have (I don't claim to be an expert, but I think I eat pretty healthy, and not crazy restrictive by any means).

My Calorie thing is at 2610