When is the best time to exercise?

Options
Hi, When is the best time to exercise, morning or after dinner? I like to do it after dinner, but a lot of people do it in the morning? Please help, thank you!

Replies

• naegs58
    naegs58 Posts: 2
    Options
    Morning....It gets your Metabolism going for the whole day...Plus its better to work out before you eat....
  • chickylet
    chickylet Posts: 76
    Options
    The best time to work out is when it's the best time for you. If you prefer to do it at night, that's great. I used to work out after dinner but I was finding that I was having a hard time getting to sleep. I work out in the morning now, get up at 3:30am and work out for a hour. It gives me all the energy I need to get through the day. I also find that I stick to my workout plan alot easier if I do it in the morning, too easy to say I'm too tired at night. Hope this helps.
  • jajastrunk6
    Options
    Morning before you eat is definitely better. And it gets your day started right! But if you cant exercise is still great anytime of the day as long as you are getting it!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning now, get up at 3:30am and work out for a hour.

If someone is waking me up at 3:30 am, the place better be on fire...or they better be wearing a helmet.
  • inkprincess
    Options
    I do it whenever I can, but i do like it better in the morning. Not before i eat though....between breakfast and lunch. It's easier to get it done early, if i wait til afternoon i'm much more tired.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is when you are most likely to do it and maintain it, it doesn't matter when you do it, sometimes I exercise in the morning..as I did today, tomorrow it will be in the evening....I don't like too uch of a routine because my body adapts very quickly. As long as you're exercising the time of day really means squat :happy: :tongue:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning now, get up at 3:30am and work out for a hour.

If someone is waking me up at 3:30 am, the place better be on fire...or they better be wearing a helmet.

lol Me too!! The earliest I can be troubled to wake up is 6 on an early workday. Oie, have one of those Thursday. :\ Bleh.

I work out after work, about 2 hours after my snack, and then eat a light dinner when I get home so I'm full enough to fall asleep but still a few hours before bed so as not to screw up my digestive tract and metabolism, blah blah.

I'd rather work out in the morning for the energy but only late workdays allow that and I get 2 this week! Whoop!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is when it's the best time for you.

Agreed. I'm a researcher by training, so my instinct is to delve into all the intricacies of everything that I do. Weight loss is no exception. There are definitely a lot of opinions out there regarding when to exercise and how timing relates to your metabolism. However, I think the most important thing to do is EXERCISE and do it consistently.

I am such a perfectionist that when I started to research all the different studies related to weight loss (when is best to exercise?, cardio or weights first?, empty stomach or no?, what to eat after workout?) I started to get overwhelmed. Unfortunately, the result was that, subconsciously, I guess i figured that if I couldn't do it "perfectly" then it wasn't worth doing. The result was that I gained back at least half of what I had lost.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is when it's the best time for you.

Agreed. I'm a researcher by training, so my instinct is to delve into all the intricacies of everything that I do. Weight loss is no exception. There are definitely a lot of opinions out there regarding when to exercise and how timing relates to your metabolism. However, I think the most important thing to do is EXERCISE and do it consistently.

I am such a perfectionist that when I started to research all the different studies related to weight loss (when is best to exercise?, cardio or weights first?, empty stomach or no?, what to eat after workout?) I started to get overwhelmed. Unfortunately, the result was that, subconsciously, I guess i figured that if I couldn't do it "perfectly" then it wasn't worth doing. The result was that I gained back at least half of what I had lost.

I agree with you, if you're not consistent, it measures up to nothing. I'm a mom to 6 kids, I exercise everyday, always at a different time, and it's working for me, because i'm consistent, that with a clean diet, you have success.