Walkers of the world UNITE!

Options
I saw threads for running and yoga and just about everything else. But no walking!

So here it is.

Today I did one mile. I'm doing the Walk Away the Pounds videos (have toddler and can't go outside due to snake infestation of area during summer :angry: ). It was pretty easy, but I definitely worked up a sweat!

Replies

• mrflibbleisvryx
    mrflibbleisvryx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I saw threads for running and yoga and just about everything else. But no walking!

So here it is.

Today I did one mile. I'm doing the Walk Away the Pounds videos (have toddler and can't go outside due to snake infestation of area during summer :angry: ). It was pretty easy, but I definitely worked up a sweat!
  • chrissy8382015
    Options
    hey there, i love to power walk - it sometimes turns into a jog / walk but I love the power of walking with a purpose. How do you stay motivatied to walk inside. I went outside to day and did about 4.5- 5 miles. Inside I can barely do 2 miles. Way to go keep it up.
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'ma walker.. my boobs are to big to be running anywhere.. lol

I walk on the treadmill at the gym, I do about 2 to 3 miles a day..

Yaya walkers! lol Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    hey there, i love to power walk - it sometimes turns into a jog / walk but I love the power of walking with a purpose. How do you stay motivatied to walk inside. I went outside to day and did about 4.5- 5 miles. Inside I can barely do 2 miles. Way to go keep it up.

Well, I'm just starting out with the walking inside routine. But I really don't have much choice. It's walk inside or go outside and risk the wilderness and/or possible heat stroke. It's so hot out here from May through most of October. The only reason to be outside during the summer in FL is if you're going to the pool.
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    I'ma walker.. my boobs are to big to be running anywhere.. lol

I walk on the treadmill at the gym, I do about 2 to 3 miles a day..

Yaya walkers! lol Good Luck! :flowerforyou:

Oh I can relate there! And even when I walk or dance or whatnot, I always have to wear a super tight sports bra (which is not easy to get in and out of) so as not to encounter the jiggle.
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah walkers!!!!!
    I love to walk. It doesn't cost anything and you can do it anywhere also even FAT people can do it.
    Started 6 months ago with barely able to walk a 1/4 mile at a slow speed now I do 3-4 miles a day and once a week (twice if I overate) I do a 8-10 mile walk. I try to keep to a 3.5 mile speed but on the longer walks I do 3 miles/hour. I asked for a IPod for christmas and just love it. I downloaded all kinds of songs (country, disco, 50s to 80s) and just bebop along. I am lucky that I live in New York there are a million different places to walk - the beach, the park and just through the streets. I've walked in the cold and the heat just not snow or rain. Then I am indoors on the threadmill or I have a trampoline. I put on some music and go or I put on a TV show to watch to keep me going. I tried jogging and the boob problem is true but also I got too out of breathe and had to quit early.

HAPPY WALKING ALL!!!!!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am a walker. Tried running and made it 1/4th way around the track. I've had more sprained ankles than I can count (started in snow covered ditches in Missouri waiting for the schoolbus out in the country). I just cannot run. But, I can powerwalk! My husband can barely keep up with me (hope he doesn't see this), and he has long legs!:laugh: :laugh: (he does pass me sometimes)
  • nytoaz
    nytoaz Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm a walker too ~ I love walking :heart: My Yorkie takes me out for walks at least once a day. He's a wonderful and very dependable walking partner :smile: . I have the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs too ~ and recently dusted them off. This week, I got through the 2 mile, but haven't tried the 3 mile yet! It's a great workout.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Walker and a runner but can't seem to find time to hop on the treadmill or go outside for my usual morning runs.
    Shall we set a goal?????

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Another walker here! I have walked forty pounds off so far, and still going! I *love* walking. It is the one cardio that I actually tolerate well, and when I walk outside (which is a rare treat) I really enjoy it. I found some good ideas on this thread, I think I will try to get outside for a long walk maybe every other week. I will have to get DH to watch the baby.

I have a 2 1/2 yr. old, so I walk every day at naptime on my treadmil. Right now I do 63 mins. a day, 6 days a week. I burn 400 cals, walk at 3.6 speed, and max out at 5.5% hills. When I first started walking I only did 20 minutes at a time. I just added a few minutes at a time, little by little till my endurance built up.

I am about to add a body scuplting routine three days a week.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hey walkers - I am not huge on walking (TN = cold and rainy, or hot and rainy, or hot and humid since it just rained...) but my mom is a HUGE walker and lives in IL - She does this thing where you log your miles and it shows how far across the state you have walked.

I dont know if other states have something similar, but here is the link for IL:

http://standingupforillinois.org/walk/
  • chrissy8382015
    Options
    Well, I'm just starting out with the walking inside routine. But I really don't have much choice. It's walk inside or go outside and risk the wilderness and/or possible heat stroke. It's so hot out here from May through most of October. The only reason to be outside during the summer in FL is if you're going to the pool.
    [/quote]

I quess we have to do what we have to do. Here in Northern Canada May to Oct. are the only times of the year that we can go out side. Nov to April are icey and snowy. So I either cross country ski or I do the threadmil
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    Walker and a runner but can't seem to find time to hop on the treadmill or go outside for my usual morning runs.
    Shall we set a goal?????

Sounds good to me. What kind of goal did you have in mind?
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Another walker here! I have walked forty pounds off so far, and still going! I *love* walking. It is the one cardio that I actually tolerate well, and when I walk outside (which is a rare treat) I really enjoy it. I found some good ideas on this thread, I think I will try to get outside for a long walk maybe every other week. I will have to get DH to watch the baby.

I have a 2 1/2 yr. old, so I walk every day at naptime on my treadmil. Right now I do 63 mins. a day, 6 days a week. I burn 400 cals, walk at 3.6 speed, and max out at 5.5% hills. When I first started walking I only did 20 minutes at a time. I just added a few minutes at a time, little by little till my endurance built up.

I am about to add a body scuplting routine three days a week.

I will be sooooooooo happy to get to the day when I can say "I have walked forty pounds off" !! Good for you, Girl. Adding a body sculpting routine will really help in the fat loss too. It really needs to be a combo. I'm going to do the same really soon.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Well I am also a walker..I don't walk all that far..lol It's about 1 mile from here to my mom's house, so I have been trying to do that walk almost everyday with my baby girl in the stroller. Some days I walk both ways, and other days I get a ride home..lol I'm so lazy!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Shall we set a goal?????

Sounds good to me. What kind of goal did you have in mind?

Me too.
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    Well I am also a walker..I don't walk all that far..lol It's about 1 mile from here to my mom's house, so I have been trying to do that walk almost everyday with my baby girl in the stroller. Some days I walk both ways, and other days I get a ride home..lol I'm so lazy!

That's OK. It's a start and that's what counts!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    Options
    Checking in...

Did my one mile walk. Just finished actually and I feel great! I've never felt good after a workout before. I'm usually just exhausted and sore. But this routine is so gentle! After two days I think I'm converted!
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I feel I started to gain most of my weight when I stopped walking years ago. When my kids were little I put them in the carriage and walked and walked and walked. For exercise and my sanity! In the carriage they were quiet and even fell asleep. I would stop at the park and have them run around when they could walk and I even moved too. I also did my errands walking.
    When they started school I stopped walking and drove. I was always in a rush. I had to get things done in a hurry. It was drive here and then there be back for dismissal and off to practice etc. Slowly the pounds came on. I had no time for "formal exercise" and no time to eat like a "human".
    Now I am trying to drive less and walk more. With the price of gas there is an extra bonus.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love to walk. Especially where there are hills. I do about 5 a day. 3 with the kids and dogs in the stroller and than another 2 with the kids "on our own feets mom" with the dogs. They are nature lovers, so we look at leaves and flowers and the ducks and clouds and count cars and what color stuff is and sign shapes. So, it is educational and beneficial. All three of us are healthy. Now that the rains are starting to stop, I want to get back up to 8 or so a day.