sugar problems

Options
I have been doing great keeping at keeping my calorie intake right were I want it but when I changed my setting today i realized that I have been taking in an insane amount of sugar...... usually double what the guidelines tell me to take. I attribute most of this to fruits and yogurt and kashi granola bars. what is the danger of taking in that much sugar and any suggestions on keeping that number low?

Replies

• heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and have to watch my sugar! Not to mention that carbs can cause some people to gain weight more than others, I know it does for me. Diets like the atkins and south beach help you control your carbs, their sites would have a good list of low carb foods. Cut back on breads, sweets, soda, chips all that fun stuff. I like the kroger carb master yogert, and the fiber plus bars. If you need more ideas or help let me know!
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Some will say your dairy/fruit sugars are okay b/c they aren't processed sugars.... while true, it's still sugar. I broke out of being a slave to ANY sugar and it is AMAZING. Some days I will still go over when I'm craving/needing lots of dairy or bought some fresh fruits, but you will feel like a new person if you actually break off the sugar addiction, even with 'good' sugars.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you're not diabetic, then you should be o.k. at those levels. If most of the sugar comes from fruit, veges, and even yogurt. Though if you can find yogurt that is lower in sugar that you like, it would help.

If you're doing o.k. with what you're eating and are losing then continue and enjoy! If your sugar is coming from chocolate and candy and baked goodies, you may want to cut down :flowerforyou: Make sure your total carbs are in a proper range. Some here subtract their sugars from dairy, fruit, and veges to get their "added sugar" and try to keep that lower.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
  • ktbeth29
    ktbeth29 Posts: 1
    Options
    I really am no nutrition expert, but I have always had problems with sugar, I grew up on a ton of it. And I want to be a pastry chef. My dad is a diabetic and decided he wanted to get off his meds. He is still off off them, the reason is, is he eats tons of fresh fruits like berries, bananas, apples any great fruit you can think of and he eats veggies as well. He is also a big steak guy so he eats his meat. He eats nuts and oatmeal and eggs. He stays away from fast dissolving sugars such as processed food and like russet type potatoes to name a couple.
    I just started trying this and I have dropped weight, I feel so much better and I am more full and satisfied than before. I was told sugar is fine in moderation, but I didn't realize how much I was actually having. It wasn't as moderate as I thought. Instead of whole grain or whole wheat bread I eat sprouted bread, you can find it at Trader Joes or Whole Foods. I get 7 sprouted grain it's brand is Food For Life. I also cut out crackers and any kind of chips for right now. I try to substitute sweet potatoes for regular ones. I started with a personal trainer and he told me some of the substitutions such as the bread and the potatoes. I also use all natural Peanut Butter if you like Peanut Butter. Whole Foods has a 36 oz jar for like 3 bucks and make sure when you get it there is oil separation and there is just salt and peanuts in the peanut butter, no sugar. I also love chocolate so my trainer told me to make a mix of nuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Aldi and Trader Joes has great deals on nuts and chocolate. I normally due a tablespoon of chips per 3/4 cup nuts. I also substituted white rice for brown rice and Steel Cut Oats from Regular Oats just because they keep me fuller longer and I feel I am getting more out of my meal.
    Oh and if you are really craving sugar, my trainer told me to make something homemade that way you see how much sugar you are putting in such as cookies or a mini apple crisp or whatever you like. Also, I have found Agave Nectar is is pretty good and it is all natural as well as Stevia for a substitution for sugar.
    I hope this isn't confusing and it helps.
    Oh and one more thing, defiantly check with other people and see what is working for them, I just have a hard time keeping my sugar in moderation so I am cutting back as much as possible.
    Also, this was a saying I heard on a TV show one time, when shopping stay to the outside of the grocery store. That is where you will find (most) things that are good for you.
    Again, I am not a nutrition expert, this is just what seems to be working for me, I get to eat more and feel more satisfied.