Love the treadmill, hate running outside

Options
2»

Replies

• tinajackson1387
    Options
    I feel the same as the original poster. Love the treadmill, hate running outside. And why is it SO MUCH harder to run outside? I understand that it should be a little harder because the impact is a little harder and the ground isn't completely level... but for me, it seems like 10 times harder!
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about wHY you hate running outside? I use to hate it. but i realized its because the pavement is hard on my knees. i got better shoes, and would run on hiking trails instead. i love it now.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth with which one I like more.

Right now I'm on the treadmill because I hate the cold with a passion!! I hate that burning feeling in my lungs and my runny nose. UHG.

I like to treadmill when I'm training for pace but it does hinder me when I switch to outdoors. If this is something that concerns you just bump up the incline to give it a more "road like" feel.

If you don't HAVE to run outside and you DON'T like it then don't! Do what you enjoy :)
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as the original poster. Love the treadmill, hate running outside. And why is it SO MUCH harder to run outside? I understand that it should be a little harder because the impact is a little harder and the ground isn't completely level... but for me, it seems like 10 times harder!

Because some of the forward motion is done by the belt. Up the incline to 1% to simulate flat outdoor running.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth with which one I like more.

Right now I'm on the treadmill because I hate the cold with a passion!! I hate that burning feeling in my lungs and my runny nose. UHG.

I like to treadmill when I'm training for pace but it does hinder me when I switch to outdoors. If this is something that concerns you just bump up the incline to give it a more "road like" feel.

If you don't HAVE to run outside and you DON'T like it then don't! Do what you enjoy :)

Totally agree with bolded. Just wanted to comment on the cold-lungs and runny nose- like running in heat, it's something you acclimate to (should you choose to do so) it only takes a handful of cold runs to get used to more moderate-cold temperatures. When it's really cold, you can use a scarf or mask to pre-warm and moisten the air you breathe in. As for runny nose? You can get gloves that have a snot pad, or I use a hairtie to put a folded washcloth on my wrist to wipe snot. But like you said, do what you enjoy- just wanted to offer some solutions if you want to get outside.

To all the folks who basically say running on the treadmill is stupid, there are some really real reasons to do so. Off the top of my head:

1) Personal safety- running in winter is not only cold but oftentimes dark. Not everyone lives in a neighborhood they want to be outside alone in the dark.
    2) Convenience- It sure is nice to be able to stop for a bathroom and have accessible water you don't have to carry
    3) People watching at the gym can be fun.
    4) Ice, snow, fallen wet leaves, cracked sidewalks, dog poop, are all less visible in the dark.
    5) The soft surface is easier for people with joint injuries or who are prone to joint injuries
    6) You can watch football and run at the same time. Or listen to an audiobook and give it almost full attention. Podcasts, spanish lessons, whatever.
    7) Reduced allergens- I have REALLY bad seasonal allergies, and run indoors during nasty pollen conditions, and try to avoid when tons of people are cutting grass.
    8) Some people are sensitive about running around other people- especially new and/or heavier runners.
    9) Sometimes interval training is easier to do on a treadmill with the numbers right in front of you.
    10) Just liking it is reason enough!

I'm not for OR against treadmill running. I like both. I'm just against people discouraging others from a form of exercise that they enjoy or can easily fit in to their lives.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    When I first started training I preferred the treadmill. Now that I am a better runner, being on the treadmill isn't interesting enough for me to do a long run and I prefer to be outside. I can only be on one for 25ish minutes before I start staring at the time.
  • gurssy
    gurssy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like running outside however I don't like it when it is too cold or too hot... So then I prefer the treadmill... I use the treadmill more though cause it is easier on my joints and my home gym area is climate controlled.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm the complete opposite.. I cannot run on a treadmill.. I've tried on like 3 separate occasions after I did C25K, and each time I quit with in like 10 minutes... Put me outside, and I'll run for an hour.

Outdoor running is so much nicer... I'm actually accomplishing something instead of running like a hamster on a wheel.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and has their reasons for what works best for them. If you like the treadmill that's fantastic, personally I would rather run outside in the rain or snow than do the treadmill. But just remember do what makes you comfortable and feels right for your situation because if you don't enjoy it you won't do it! Good luck. :-)
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Exactly - the great thing is that we're all running and enjoying it!
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I have to run outside! On a treadmill I feel wobbly and I can't control my pace. Outside I am in complete control. I am blessed to live in a city that has some fabulous bike trails which are great for running. I also live quite close to a city park with a lighted, two mile track around a lake. It is very safe to run there in the evening. I run in heat. I run in cold, wind, and rain. In the very near future I will run in snow. A simple base layer, jacket, gloves and hat allows me to stay quite warm after the first half mile. In my mind there's just no substitute for fresh air and wind in my face. I love my gym for weights and cardio machines but my mileage requires asphalt.
  • missmaex
    missmaex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've always loved the treadmill - hated outside. But my reasons are because I like seeing the numbers. I like how I can say 'I'm going to run __ speed for __ time', and see it happen.
    Although recently I've found an app for my phone that I can set to tell me all that stuff (plays my playlist, but interrupts it for updates) and time me etc. Giving that a go - seems to have made outdoors a bit better now.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been on a trail in the woods when the first snow of the season is glistening on the pines, and the leaves from fall are still wet on the ground, and geese are honking overhead, and all you can smell is the musky piney smell of the woods, and a deer runs by, and OMG you are missing so much in life. GET OUTSIDE.

THIS!!! I miss living by the woods, but I'm glad to have a very hilly and forest-like city park close by. Yes, it can be cold and dark and hard to get out the door, but once you're out in the fresh air and really get going - WOW! I'm addicted!