busy mom>>new to exercise>>>want to start again

Options
Hi All:

I used to fit, played all kinds of sports, danced...well that was over 15 years ago...now I am a 37 year old mom of two young boys, working full time, busy busy in all aspect of life which I am sure we are...so ...what kind of exercise do you do and when? and how do you start again? I don't have $ or time for gym. When I wake up its still dark, when I put the kids to bed its already dark, by 9:00pm I am so pooped I could just fall asleep myslef (and usually do)...ideas appreciated

Replies

• IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    No time huh? Tell that to the girl who woke up at 4am to get in a workout.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any home fitness dvds? I, personally, love the beachbody programs. I am currently doing Insanity and Turbo Fire. However, if you haven't exercised for a while, I would suggest Turbo Jam (if you are looking for something fun from beachbody). Also, I admit that their stuff is pretty expensive, but in comparison to the gym, it certainly makes up for it.

Quite a while ago, I had some success with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, which is much cheaper, but I got bored. There are lots of other good ones out there.

The only other suggestion I have is to actually schedule working out on your calendar. If you wait to do it when you "have time," you will never find time! Also, I don't know how old your kids are, but I have a 4 yr old that loves to jump around and dance and show me up when im doing Insanity and Turbo Fire.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Oh, and something else to consider is checking out the other threads on this board. After closing your question, I noticed there are a lot of different challenges going on. There is also someone saying, "I am starting XXXXXX program on Monday, who is with me?" You get the program and then you have a group to be accountable to.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use DVD's from home with a 4 and 3 year old. Wake up at 4:30am to get it done otherwise I will make excuses and procrastinate. I lost 95lbs using Turbo Fire and loved it! Look for a video that works for you, some of the videos are about 30 minutes.
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    agreed you need to make the time to exercise ... if you really want to you will find the time .. home dvd's are great for exercising around times that suit you. Personally im better in a gym but its what ever works for you :)
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I play Wii boxing and Michael Jackson "the Experience" for home time workouts
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar position. I have to literally put exercise into my schedule. When I just started re-exercising again I only booked in 10 minutes at a time! I picked 10 exercises and did those for 1 minute each. Such as lunges, crunches, Squats, pushups, planks, if I couldn't complete the entire minute I would come back to that exercise at the end and finish the 20 seconds or whatever.

Make the commitment and then make it work :)
  • jamie_maddox
    jamie_maddox Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am also a mom to 2 kiddos and I also work outside of the home full-time. I drag my butt up at 4:20 every morning to get my workout in. The first few times are rough, but then you get used to it. You can do it!!
  • seashellmoore
    Options
    Walk at lunch time. Walking is great exercise. Although it may not burn as many calories as a fitness DVD type workout, at least you are doing exercise. Even if you can only fit in 20 minutes a day, during your lunch, it's still a start! Once you get started, exercise will become more of a priority in your daily schedule. Maybe even get the kids involved. Do a daily dance party where they can jump and dance and sing along with you! Don't underestimate fitting in 10 minutes here and there all through the day.
  • jmmoiadams
    Options
    i love the walking videos, the go from 1 mile to 5, you can do whatever mile fits your time for that day. and they are cheap, walmart has them for $10
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am in the same position as you, single Mum of two young boys and working. I get up at 6am and do Jillian Michaels DVD, also bought a cheap treadmill from ebay which I use when the kids are settled infront of TV after homework time...
    It's not easy but every little helps and all that cleaning, cooking ironing etc adds extra cals to eat back...
    Jules xx
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Look into High Intensity Interval Training workout videos on Youtube, You can get a great workout in 20-30 minutes. I also do a dumbbell strength workout three days a week. It takes about 30 minute0, and I do it while watching TV with my husband after the baby is in bed.
  • Ewa101975
    Ewa101975 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh now that is dedication...:)
  • Ewa101975
    Ewa101975 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much. Very good ideas....I thought getting up at 5:30am was early..;) Wow...I really have to dedicate 20 minutes a day early in the morning to do a dvd or something. I will also try walking 10 min at lunch..I only get 30 minutes and often don't take an acutal break just eat at my desk so I can pick up my kids asap as my daycare is not very flexible. All good valid points. Thanks again so much!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Two words: Shake Weight.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Right there with you!
    37, mom, busy, no money for gym...

Free 20-min workouts on YouTube.
    Look for Hasfit workouts.
    There are some really great beginner videos.
    Do it a couple of times. Learn the moves. Make your own circuit training routine.
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I am a busy mom of 4 kids and I feel the same way. I used to work out in the morning but that was when I had only 2 kids. Now when I wake up its dark and I don't want to get out of bed. So what has been working for me is I start getting the kids in bed by 7:30 so that they are actually in bed by latest 8:30pm. However, one of my daughters doesn't go to sleep she just watches me work out and when I do push ups she gets on my back and makes it difficult for me to continue but I continue. So I give her a little time to giggle and play with her then she falls asleep. I continue. I continue until I am done which is sometimes until 10:30pm. I sleep like a baby.

That's how I do it. Try it.

Oopps forgot to add I don't go to the gym and I just buy DVD's and do them from home. You can always rewind and forward any time you want.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    first off, good health begins in the kitchen. Take the time to prepare a healthy menu and healthy meals and your health will improve (including the weight loss you are looking for).

as far as exercise, there are a lot of do-it-at home options. There are bodyweight routines that you can put together. You can go to bodyrock.tv and try those amazing 12 minute high intensity workouts. Notably, a lot of the current bodyrock routines use weights...but a lot of the routines that are archived do not.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am before everyone else. I currently use Insanity, the only thing required is a DVD player and your own body weight. It is awesome and produces results if you follow it. My husband and I have both lost over 25 pounds each in the last 3 months doing this. It is awesome and challenging but worth every drop of sweat and dollar for the system. Good luck, I always say if you want something "BAD ENOUGH" you will make time!
  • liltpot78
    liltpot78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really feel your pain! My baby is a year now, and I am just trying to get back into working out! Because my time is soooo limited, I try to workout throughout the day. For example taking stairs at work, parking far away, doing crunches in the morning before the baby wakes, or walking at mall at lunch. Although this is the way I started, I just had to break down and make time for myself!! Don't feel guilty to take the time yourself.