NROLFW V P90X

Options
I'm completing Insanity at the moment and although I'm really enjoying it, I think I would like to move on to a program more strength than cardio based next.

I'm thinking either P90X because I enjoy the convenience of working out at home or joining a gym and starting New Rules of Lifting for Women which I actually bought a couple of months ago. The plus with NROLFW is that I won't have to buy a variety of dumbells to store at home and given I can get a gym membership for £12 a month, may work out cheaper but I don't particularly enjoying going to the gym and it would take more times in terms of commuting there and back etc.

But really, I just want to go with the most effective program. Can anyone give me some advice?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    One teaches all you need to know about building an effective workout and progression plan tailored to your abilities, the other is a workout DVD.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    but I don't particularly enjoying going to the gym and it would take more times in terms of commuting there and back etc.

But really, I just want to go with the most effective program. Can anyone give me some advice?

the most effective one is the one you will actually do

if you dont enjoy going to the gym and dont have the time for the commute, then the choice is pretty clear
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    the most effective one is the one you will actually do

if you dont enjoy going to the gym and dont have the time for the commute, then the choice is pretty clear

THIS. I know for me at least I have to do what works for ME, my schedule, and my life (time, finances, etc). Plus, I've learned if I start a workout, give it a week, and still hate it, I move on.

Does your gym offer a trial membership? Like, just 2 weeks or a month with no commitment? If so, maybe try that first with NROLFW. I like P90X, but it's a HUGE time commitment (60-90 minutes/day), and expensive to start (cost of the DVD's plus weights and such). If the gym thing doesn't work for you, don't do it, but don't knock it if you haven't tried it yet!

Good luck!
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had great success with P90x. Lost 34lbs and put on 6lbs of muscle. Check out my YouTube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf8S7-kmfhI&feature=g-crec-u
  • Nicolao2762
    Nicolao2762 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some really helpful points! The gym does offer a trial membership so I reckon I'll give NROLFW a go and if it doesn't work out there's always P90x.
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    Options
    I did Insanity for 2 weeks and it killed my knee. I have to wear a brace for protection just a bit to much on it. I do put it in my mix of routines now for the hardcore cardio.. I just finished my P90X Classic and results were great. Im a Graduate BRING IT!! I would say try it out I use bands on the door didnt have a pull up bar dont need one and used only light 8 pound dumbbells. Next journey waiting for my Chalean X to come in. She is like Jillian Michaels which who I started out with and LOVE that woman and the results were crazy.. Now lets see what Chalean can do for me she lights heavier weights which I want. Hope you find out what you would like to do.. P90X is AMAZING.. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    P90X is a workout program, and the thing is, it doesn't really teach you much. The whole thing about books like NROLFW is that they're not so much about putting you on a specific program as they are teaching you what you need to to be able to put your own strength workout together, and if you actually pay attention to it, and learn to apply it, it's possible for you to be able to put together your own program better than P90X.