Peek at my diary please...what am I doing wrong?

Options
So, I lose weight fairly easily with just diet. I lost 60 pounds through mostly diet back in 2011 after I had my son. Then I was lazy for about 8 months and gained back 10-15. I joined MFP and decided that I was going to exercise this time. I noticed a real change in my body when I was exercise back in 2011 toward the end of my weight loss. Anyway...For a month, I have done Zumba 4-5 days a week. I also lift free weights 3 times a week. I borrowed a friends HRM for a few sessions and it seemed like the zumba online calculator was pretty close, but I usually log it as a little less than what it gives me. I experimented with not eating back calories and then eating back some of them. I did lose 1.5lbs the first week I ate back some calories, so I was excited by that, since I went several weeks with no loss and even some small gains. I have lost a few inches here and there, but not really much weight (2lbs in a month). Anyway...here I am nearing the end of another week, and I am up 2.5lbs! I am hoping that it is just water weight, because even if I wasn't losing, I can't imagine I would be gaining. Can someone peek at my diary and offer some thoughts?

Replies

• plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    i would lower your carbs and raise protein. Carbs are my problem too even though you are under for the day a lower carb diet is usually about 30 or so a day. this is just what works for me,i am definately no expert. carbs turn in to sugar
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration!!!! The last two weeks, I had been doing fairly well but put ON 6 pounds!! Part of it was TOM and the other part was sodium. Thankfully, 3 of those pounds were gone this morning.

As far as your diary, I might start also tracking sugar and sodium. Those are two of my biggest "triggers," so it's really important for me to keep those numbers in check.
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    I agree w/curvygirl76. Change your goals to about 100 carbs. Then eat complex carbs. MFP gives too many carbs,:smile:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Track sodium and drink some water. According to your diary, you don't drink any water. You don't have to drink a ton of water, but try even just two cups a day. Also, could be TOM is here or approaching, that usually causes some water retention.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It looks pretty good to me! Like another poster said, I would maybe start tracking sodium. When you have a lot of it, it kind of gives the illusion that you're not losing weight (fat) but it's just making you retain water. I know that if I have more than about 2,000mg of sodium in a day, my body will hold onto everything. It's kind of hard to tell if the candy and chocolate is hurting your progress since it fits into your calories for the day, but maybe try cutting it down a little. It will certainly help you crave it less.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Looks like you love candy! Some days you're eating ~30% of your total calories in candy bars. That sugar will kick your butt! Higher protein, lower refined sugar & carbs will almost certainly help. Good luck! ;c)
  • titusr0881
    titusr0881 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are gaining muscle :) So don't worry about what the scale says about your body. If you feel healthy and in better shape that is the best reward, not just some number on the scale.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Add more weight to your lifting sessions.

Although as long as you remain in caloric deficit you will lose weight - you may want to watch what you eat as far as sugar. You seem to work out plenty but the weight you could be holding on to could be glycogen storage. If you really want to lose weight start by turning 1-3 days out of the weeks calories from sugar to calories in sugar from fruit, or better yet from proteins or healthy fats (nuts, avocado, omega-3). You dont have to cut candy completely, just skip a day or two, you may enjoy it more!
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've just started---Don't give up---it takes consistency (in your diet) and patience. Everyone is different but you with be rewarded if you stay the course. Make sure you are eating enough calories, watch all added sugars (they make you crave) and pay attention that you are always eating good "real food" as much as possible and eliminate processed, or junk from a box. Planning is key at the beginning---then it all becomes automatic once you have established "your formula" for handling things. The first thing I did was "dejunk" my kitchen and restock with healthy and healthier alternatives. Eventually I revamped some of my favorites into lower calorie/lower fat that satisfied all my needs. Good luck with your journey---this site has been a "life saver" for me and has kept me on track. :smile:
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I would start tracking sodium and sugar. Processed foods contain a ton of both, the deli meats, the packaged foods, try unsalted butter.

There does seem to be quite a bit of calories in candy. Do you have a major sweet tooth? I did! I cut out all processed sugar (did you know canned kidney beans have sugar added? What's the point in that??! There are a lot of products that contain suger that you wouldn't think would have it). Anyway, I cut out all processed sugar for about 2 weeks and the sugar cravings were gone before my 2 weeks were up.

If you're having the candy as a filler because you're getting hungry during the day, I would swap out the low fat or 'light' stuff, especially the low fat breakfast stuff for the full fat version. I know it sounds counter-intuitive to losing weight, but it will keep you full longer and you won't need the snack. Since I've switched to full fat milk and full fat yogurt (I never could get into the light cheeses) my cholesterol numbers have been improving as well.
  • kilav79
    kilav79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are great! Great suggestions! I know the candy is a problem. I was great about the Halloween candy, but then as it continues to sit on my counter it became a problem. So yesterday, I hid the bowl in the cupboard and had a candy-free day! :)
    I do drink quite a bit of water (probably 70oz), I just don't track it. I will definitely start watching my sodium and carbs. It hadn't really occurred to be to that specific, if I was still under the calorie goal, but I am sure it will help!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I agree that it might help you to start cutting down the sugar. It also looks like you could increase your fruit and vegetable intake. Fruit has natural sugars; it might be a great substitute for some of the candy.

But you have been under your calorie count, so keep it up and have patience. It takes time for the body to switch over from storing fat to burning fat. Some of us aren't very efficient at that, but it gets better.