Work out suggestions for a larger man?

Options

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I started walking 20 minutes a day, now I do 60 a day, and aim for 10,000 steps a day total (including just wandering around not exercising) - get a pedometer or a FitBit. 10,000 steps a day has health benefits besides weight loss.

I supplement that with weights (kettlebells), pushups, and using my own body as a weight,
  • speedracer2007
    speedracer2007 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Most here are suggesting walking however it depends how badly out of shape he truly is. Walking is very good, but its a bit more difficult to reach a heart rate that will put you into a cardio / fat burning zone because most can't walk fast enough at the start.

Swimmming is excellent because it's easy on the joints and you do have resistance working against the water. I too was over 300 lbs and found the statioery bike was the best...it was easy on the joints, and I was able to reach a target heart rate by cycling fast.

Weight lifting / free weights is also excellent just don't use an excessive amount to cause injury. Most gyms have resistance machines to work out on which will work different muscle griups, also good.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    At 6'3" 275lbs I had no limitations.

Start slowly if you plan running due to impact stresses (the same as anyone new to running), but other than that, his stats don'tmake him a special snowflake by anymeans.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I started out walking, then using the exercise bike and ellipse machine at the gym. I also started lifting weights right from the beginning. This will help him maintain muscle mass while losing weight. As I got fitter, I started adding more challenging cardio exercises like the stair stepper, and then running. I have kept up the weight lifting through out my weight loss.

While I'm nowhere where you are right now..this is pretty much the plan I'm following.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I will throw a slightly different pitch.. if hes 300lbs and has not worked out, I would advise seeing a GOOD personal trainer and a visit to his Dr.. get clearance from the doc to make sure there are no health issues to consider. seeing a qualified personal trainer that can perform an analysis specific to your husband (such as an FMS screen - http://www.functionalmovement.com/fms). In other words, ensure no health issues, then evaluate if he has any functional issues to be addressed. the workout program would start from there.. If this is not an option, look into Cosgrove's "New rules of lifting" or rippletoes book "starting strength"

the generic advice of "just walk" MAY be ok.. if he has good knees, etc. but cardio alone is not the answer to everyone. strength training will get him stronger and more able to move around his body mass as well as reduce the chances of injuries (if executed properly). if done as noted in cosgroves book, it will also have a big impact on cardiovascular fitness and burn more fat than cardio alone.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    In the kitchen.

and do what Mike in Little Rock said.
  • speedracer2007
    speedracer2007 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also checkout www.sparkpeople.com they have a lot of exercise you can do at home with a few hand weights or resistance bands...these can be printed out to use at home or the gym.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Is he 6'4 305 or 6'4 395? If he's around 300, at 6'4, that's not so big that we have to use the kid gloves so much. What's his background?
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/exercises-printable.asp these can be done at home and there are beginner nd advanced exercises.
  • JuliesZenpuppy7400
    JuliesZenpuppy7400 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For me when I started out I was 420 pounds and the best thing for me was water aerobics!!! There is stuff I could do in the water that I could not do on land. It was easier on my joints and I got a really good cardio workout.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was over 315 lbs when I joined the Y. They have classes for all fitness levels. My first class was adaptive yoga where they taught yoga basics from a chair. yep, over half the class were sitting in a chair and the other half were leaning on the chair. There are also machines he could do like recumbent bike, recumbent crosstrainer, and rowing that are also seated. When he's ready there is low impact machines like ellipticals that he can start at doing for 5-10 mins like I did. And strength training. Instead of free weights he might feel more comfortable sitting at the weight machines like the chest press, abductors, shoulder press, etc and work specific muscle groups. Strength training will not only help with weightloss and strength, but it also decreases the amount of excess skin he'll have. I also like walking around the track at the Y. The Y has great facilities, programs, classes, support, knowledgeable and compassionate staff, but it's for people of all fitness levels and ages. He might feel out of place going to a gym full of hard bodies but at the Y he'll fit right in. Also, I really recommend water aerobics.
    When I first started working out i couldn't work out a whole hour. Now I work out 4 hrs a day/6 days a week! It can definitely be done. I'm still 285 lbs but my fitness level is so much higher in just a few months time. Good luck! You guys can friend me on here if you want.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    At 6'3" 275lbs I had no limitations.

Start slowly if you plan running due to impact stresses (the same as anyone new to running), but other than that, his stats don'tmake him a special snowflake by anymeans.

LOL at special snowflake. I mighta been a special snowflake when I started but now I'm super
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Depends on over all condition and if there injuries or any other factors.

Certainly walking, some stretching and simple floor exercise is a start. if you can easily do that then go for more...

good luck !
  • jamaljohar
    Options
    My husband is 6 ft 4 and over 300 lbs. He would like to start working out but has no idea where to start. His work is sedentary and since he works from home he doesn't really get out much.

Does anyone have suggestion on where he could start?

i was in a similar position. I am 6' and i weight 350lbs, one day i just decided enough was enough. i jogged 20 minutes everyday, I had to battle shin splints after a month or so of doing that but they eventually went away, even with the shin splints i still jogged. when the weight started to come off i started to go to the gym and run and lift weights, i also bike ride about 20 miles to and from work, ( i usually do that on my off days from the gym). and my current weight is now 240
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I decided to change my lifestyle, approx 4 years ago, I was 326lbs, I am 6'4". I did P90X. I have an athletic background, but at that point I couldn't walk a flight of stairs without breathing heavy.
    I just worked my way into it slowly. I did it in my basement with a pull up bar and one 20lb dumbbell. I also changed my eating habits. I lost 60 lbs the first time through, then another 45 the second.
    It worked for me, and changed my life.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    As others have pretty much said..

Personally I went for walking (20 mins at a brisk pace), stationary bike and weights.

Now i'm at a good cardio level where I can manage a 60 min basketball game, 30 mins of rowing or a session of P90X etc.

You need to take the little steps and big diet changes to get you into a range where you can do some really fun cardio.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I see a lot of suggestions for walking but I'm going to plug the elliptical if you go the gym route. At my heaviest, before I even started logging, I came in at 6' tall 365lbs. The first time I got on the elliptical it was for a whopping 2 minutes before I was tired but after adding a minute or 2 each gym visit it got much better pretty quick. Just hit the treadmill after too. Also don't forget strength training. I didn't start lifting until 6ish months ago when I was 290lbs and I still kick myself I didn't start earlier. The weight has come off faster since then.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 320 (although I only wish I was > 6' :) ) Anyway at the time I was having some sciatic issues and started with walking. For the longest time that's what my wife and I did was walk. She was recovering from a stroke at the time (shingles sucks!) and we had to limit our distance due to her recovery but quickly we had to take it easy for my sciatic. Anyway we both got stronger and now walk between 3 and 4 miles at a time when we walk. We also got back on the tandem bike this past spring and started biking a lot more. I've added dumbells and kettlebell to my routine now and I'm really liking the changes it's making in my strength.

Basically I would tell him to do what he could now and always look to improve. Definitely ask his doctor what he thinks he should be doing and if there's any restrictions based on his situation. After the stroke we both decided it was time we did something about where our lives were headed and eventually we found MFP.
  • girlfighter1990
    Options
    Yeah he needs to start waling or biking to get the body moving into a direction of working out, then find a good cross training gym or mma fitness program..
  • sjiphone
    sjiphone Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Aquasize. especially deep water aquasize. You get a full cardio workout without gravity. Big guys (and gals) can experience a lot of hip and knee problems carrying that extra weight around. Burn off some of it in the pool where it isn't going to impact his joints. There is no use starting an exercise program if you are going to hurt yourself (knee pain, joint pain) and have to quit it. Start off slowly and as the pounds come off step up the intensity or the type of exercise. I stated with aquasize because I hurt my knees while jogging. It's good low impact cardio. I progressed to cycling, then the elliptical and then weight lifting. I've gone from 230 to 167 and feel great. Go slow. Don't overdo it. Take baby steps at first while you build up your strength and endurance.