How to log P90X strength workouts on MFP

Options
How do those of you doing P90X log your workouts? Do you think the MFP weight training category provides a good estimate for P90X strength sessions?

For P90X strength workouts (Legs & Back, etc.), I usually do ab work during the breaks between sets to keep my heart rate up and to avoid the extra time it takes to to Ab Ripper at the end. I am not sure if the MFP weight training category of circuit training makes more sense. MFP says calories burned for 50 mins of weight training are only 187 but circuit training is a whopping 500. There is clearly huge variation here. What method do you think makes the most sense?

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
  • pat_asai
    pat_asai Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I normally log it as strength training. Yesterday I logged 242 for Back and Biceps, under strength training. It's not laborous rapid breathing or anything so I think this is accurate. The beauty of P90X is it's not just weight lifting, its a lot of calisthenincs too. All those push ups and pull ups are calisthenics and they are a major burner!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I use the site mentioned above.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor to see how many calories I'm burning. PolarFT7
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    HRM is crucial to accurate logging.
    We have a great P90X support group on MFP if you'd like to join.
    Click Community
    Click Groups and click “P90X/Insanity the Game Changers”

Really supportive group. I've learned so much from my fellow P90xers in the group.

Good luck
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Nice calc. How do you put in your minutes? If you are following the DVD, do you match the length of the DVD workout or do you split it out by subtracting the warm up/cool down and water breaks? Thanks.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Nice calc. How do you put in your minutes? If you are following the DVD, do you match the length of the DVD workout or do you split it out by subtracting the warm up/cool down and water breaks? Thanks.

Wow. Don't overcomplicate things. LOL. I just enter 1 hour.
  • momma_hotness
    momma_hotness Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website! My husband and I just started doing P90X this week and were trying to figure out how to calculate the calories burned. This site is a huge help!
  • maepinder87
    Options
    Whenever I did P90X I wore a heart rate monitor and it tells you exactly how may calories you burn. You can gt one pretty much anywhere like Walmart or Target or fitness stores :)