First timer at jogging/running, tips please :)

Options
Hi there,

I have signed up for a 10k run/jog/walk :) in January of next year and being a first timer I was looking for the best way
of going about this..I have started back in the gym doing cardio/weights etc
I know getting up to 10k in a short time is a bit much but would appreciate any help/advice on the matter :)

E :)

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Jeff Galloway. Good program, doable in your time frame, and less likely to get you injured:

http://jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html#10k
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't try to go too fast. Find a pace that you're comfortable with, your speed and endurance will increase with time.

Programs like Couch to 5k get good reviews!
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    its all about pacing...if you try to run all out you will get tired quickly...walk breaks are your friend
  • maepinder87
    Options
    Pace yourself and take your time. If you keep a slower pace and breathe through your nose not your mouth you will be able to go further without stopping versus running faster and then having to stop more times for a breather. Good Luck!
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am currently using the C25K app by Zen Labs (available for Apple or Android). It has been a great tool in getting me closer to my goal of running a 5K. Other advice from a novice (I am going into week 4 of this)...compression tights help with cramping and pain, don't skimp on shoes, and if you have any issues with foot pain you may want to invest in some socks with a little padding in them. I haven't jogged or ran in 15+ years and have never been fond of running. I am now enjoying the challenge. Have a great run!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you've never run before I'd start with a plan like C25K. If you get through the first few weeks then you can start building distance a bit faster than the last weeks of the plan to get to 10 K. Lots of people do those kind of runs doing run/walk intervals and some actually have really good times doing that.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think its all been said before, but I'll reiterate:
    - Get fitted for proper shoes. Good shoes aren't necessarily expensive ones, and expensive shoes aren't necessarily good.
    - Pace yourself. On a scale from 1-10, 1 being sitting on the couch, and 10 being the most physical exertion you could imagine, a light run should be a 3 or 4, and your race day should only be a 5 or 6.
    - Don't get down on yourself if you have a bad day (or week!). We all have bad days sometimes, but just keep on going.
    - If you don't feel like running one day, start by putting on your running clothes. Just focus on that part, and nearly 9 out of 10 times, I go running after that.
    - HAVE FUN!
  • KayandBelle
    KayandBelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Consistency. That is important. Last May, I began running. My goal was a half marathon by this December. When I started, I could barely run a mile. I live in Florida so the heat and humidity were unbearable at first. I had to run at 5AM the coolest part of the day. Since May. I ran a 5K, and have run up to 14 miles, no walking. The Galloway is great for some people, but I prefer never to walk. My pace for 14 miles is around 11:30. Not real fast but not too bad for me, since I am 51 and did not exercise much for a decade. I hope this encourages you. My husband is a cancer survivor and is hoping to run his first 5K in February. He can only walk/jog a mile, but determination will get you far.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    Don't try to go too fast. Find a pace that you're comfortable with, your speed and endurance will increase with time.

Programs like Couch to 5k get good reviews!

A girlfriend just completed training & running her first 5K and she heard I was interested in running one next August and recommended a phone app Couch to 5K - Get Running - the reviews are good I haven't tried it yet. I'm a procrastinator. That's why I gave myself a long time to train. :o)