Splenda? Not so sure anymore!

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
The couple other posts I just put up about Coke, Sugar, and Diet Sodas were found while I was attempting to find information about Splenda. Here's a breakdown that I found on a site that is against Splenda (they make that very clear) HOWEVER, this is also common information that I found on several other sites, including several articles by doctors and nutritionists.

As a Diabetic, I have used Splenda for years. However, in the last 2 months since changing my whole eating lifestyle, I have actually increased by use of Splenda, as I know drink only water or decaf tea--the tea I have been loading up with Splenda. I also use lots on my daily Cheerios, on my sugar-free jelly toast, etc. I have been going through a large bag of Splenda every week!

Anyway, also since changing my eating habits, I have noticed some unpleasant side effects. I have developed "bathroom" issues of "both kinds"--not going and too much going--(to put it nicely in polite company! :wink: ), and a rash of blisters on my legs. I attributed the bathroom issues to increased fiber intake but my doc said that should have the opposite effect given the amount of fluids I also take in! She asked about Splenda, and suggested i decrease my use of it.

Determined to find reasons to argue against her advice and hang onto my Splenda, I checked on the 'net--only to find out she might be right!

This stuff is made with chlorine!! Just like you put in a pool!!! :sick:

I have also been having some of the side effects of Splenda I found on the web as well.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo....

starting today, I'm decreasing my Splenda intake and see what happens. Maybe I can wean myself off it completely.

Some side-effects of Splenda

Observational evidence shows that there are side effects of Splenda, including skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain.

Is Splenda an all-natural product?

Absolutely not. The finished product contains no elements of natural sugar. It is made in a chemical plant, not in a sugar cane or beet field. Splenda is a highly processed chemical. Despite advertisements stating “Made from Sugar so it Tastes like Sugar”, which attempt to confuse consumers, Splenda is not natural.

What is Splenda made from?

Splenda is the trademarked name for sucralose, an artificial chlorinated sweetener that is formed when the hydroxyl groups in a sugar molecule are replaced with chlorine molecules. Sucralose is manufactured in a chemical plant in Alabama, and then a bulking agent is added to create Splenda. While the FDA has ruled that the chemical compound sucralose is not in itself toxic, there is no question that it is unnatural and is a highly-processed chemical artificial sweetener that depends on the presence of chlorine for its intense sweetness.

What is sucralose (Splenda)?

Sucralose is the final chemical compound created by the addition of chlorine atoms to sucrose molecules through a complex chemical reaction involving a number of highly toxic chemicals. Sucralose is not natural.

How is sucralose different from sucrose?

Sucrose is naturally produced from sugar beets or sugar cane. There is nothing natural or organic about sucralose. It is a chemical compound with a name similar to sucrose that helps to market the product. The similarity in names is extremely confusing to consumers.

Is the chlorine in Splenda any different than the chlorine used in swimming pools?

No. The same atoms of chlorine that are used in products to disinfect swimming pools are also found in Splenda. Those products are labeled as containing chlorine, and Splenda should be labeled as exactly what it is: a chlorinated artificial sweetener. Consumers have a right to know.

Is it safe for me to eat or drink a chlorinated product?

In the case of Splenda, we simply don’t know for certain what long-term consumption of this substance can do to people over their lifetimes. Some health professionals have expressed concern that Splenda may put the health of people who consume it at risk. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reviewed possible side-effects from consuming Splenda, including enlarged liver and kidneys, decreased white blood cell count, reduced growth rate and decreased fetal body weight. Source: FDA Final Rule on Sucralose

Who makes Splenda?

The pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson, through its subsidiary business McNeil Nutritionals.

Has Splenda been tested on humans?

The majority of studies conducted by Tate & Lyle were performed on lab animals, such as rats and rabbits, and no long-term tests have been conducted. In fact, much of the testing done to determine the safety of Splenda was conducted by its manufacturer, Tate & Lyle.

Have there been any long-term studies to identify possible side effects from eating Splenda?

No. There have been no long-term tests of Splenda to fully determine potential health effects on humans. We have no idea what the long-term consequences of eating this chlorinated artificial sweetener may be, and it is impossible to say with any certainty that Splenda is safe to eat over an extended period of time.

Why was Splenda approved for use in the U.S. if there are no human studies on its health effects?

The FDA approved Splenda for human consumption even though they acknowledge that it is a chemical compound containing chlorine even though there were no long-term tests conducted to fully determine potential health effects on humans; and despite concerns raised by consumer interest groups.

Is Splenda as safe for me as all natural, real sugar?

Because there have been no long-term studies performed on humans, it is unknown whether Splenda is as safe to use as all natural, real sugar. Sugar has been safely used by humans for more than 2,000 years.

How long has Splenda been available in stores?

Splenda has been on the market since 1998, and Johnson & Johnson has invested what is estimated by some industry experts to be about $40 million per year in advertising to convince consumers that Splenda is similar to sugar. One marketing ethics reporter has characterized Johnson & Johnson’s advertising campaign as “sleight of hand marketing.” No where on Splenda’s packaging is a label informing consumers that it contains chlorine or that it is an artificial sweetener.

Why isn’t chlorine listed as an ingredient on Splenda labels?

Sucralose, which is the basis of Splenda, is listed on all packaging for products that include Splenda. Sucralose is a chlorinated artificial sweetener that results when hydroxyl groups are replaced by chlorine molecules. So while chlorine is not listed, sucralose is, which contains chlorine and is not natural sugar.

Which products contain Splenda?

According to the manufacturers of Splenda, more than 3,500 products in your grocery store contain Splenda.

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    The couple other posts I just put up about Coke, Sugar, and Diet Sodas were found while I was attempting to find information about Splenda. Here's a breakdown that I found on a site that is against Splenda (they make that very clear) HOWEVER, this is also common information that I found on several other sites, including several articles by doctors and nutritionists.

As a Diabetic, I have used Splenda for years. However, in the last 2 months since changing my whole eating lifestyle, I have actually increased by use of Splenda, as I know drink only water or decaf tea--the tea I have been loading up with Splenda. I also use lots on my daily Cheerios, on my sugar-free jelly toast, etc. I have been going through a large bag of Splenda every week!

Anyway, also since changing my eating habits, I have noticed some unpleasant side effects. I have developed "bathroom" issues of "both kinds"--not going and too much going--(to put it nicely in polite company! :wink: ), and a rash of blisters on my legs. I attributed the bathroom issues to increased fiber intake but my doc said that should have the opposite effect given the amount of fluids I also take in! She asked about Splenda, and suggested i decrease my use of it.

Determined to find reasons to argue against her advice and hang onto my Splenda, I checked on the 'net--only to find out she might be right!

This stuff is made with chlorine!! Just like you put in a pool!!! :sick:

I have also been having some of the side effects of Splenda I found on the web as well.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo....

starting today, I'm decreasing my Splenda intake and see what happens. Maybe I can wean myself off it completely.

Some side-effects of Splenda

Observational evidence shows that there are side effects of Splenda, including skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain.

Is Splenda an all-natural product?

Absolutely not. The finished product contains no elements of natural sugar. It is made in a chemical plant, not in a sugar cane or beet field. Splenda is a highly processed chemical. Despite advertisements stating “Made from Sugar so it Tastes like Sugar”, which attempt to confuse consumers, Splenda is not natural.

What is Splenda made from?

Splenda is the trademarked name for sucralose, an artificial chlorinated sweetener that is formed when the hydroxyl groups in a sugar molecule are replaced with chlorine molecules. Sucralose is manufactured in a chemical plant in Alabama, and then a bulking agent is added to create Splenda. While the FDA has ruled that the chemical compound sucralose is not in itself toxic, there is no question that it is unnatural and is a highly-processed chemical artificial sweetener that depends on the presence of chlorine for its intense sweetness.

What is sucralose (Splenda)?

Sucralose is the final chemical compound created by the addition of chlorine atoms to sucrose molecules through a complex chemical reaction involving a number of highly toxic chemicals. Sucralose is not natural.

How is sucralose different from sucrose?

Sucrose is naturally produced from sugar beets or sugar cane. There is nothing natural or organic about sucralose. It is a chemical compound with a name similar to sucrose that helps to market the product. The similarity in names is extremely confusing to consumers.

Is the chlorine in Splenda any different than the chlorine used in swimming pools?

No. The same atoms of chlorine that are used in products to disinfect swimming pools are also found in Splenda. Those products are labeled as containing chlorine, and Splenda should be labeled as exactly what it is: a chlorinated artificial sweetener. Consumers have a right to know.

Is it safe for me to eat or drink a chlorinated product?

In the case of Splenda, we simply don’t know for certain what long-term consumption of this substance can do to people over their lifetimes. Some health professionals have expressed concern that Splenda may put the health of people who consume it at risk. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reviewed possible side-effects from consuming Splenda, including enlarged liver and kidneys, decreased white blood cell count, reduced growth rate and decreased fetal body weight. Source: FDA Final Rule on Sucralose

Who makes Splenda?

The pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson, through its subsidiary business McNeil Nutritionals.

Has Splenda been tested on humans?

The majority of studies conducted by Tate & Lyle were performed on lab animals, such as rats and rabbits, and no long-term tests have been conducted. In fact, much of the testing done to determine the safety of Splenda was conducted by its manufacturer, Tate & Lyle.

Have there been any long-term studies to identify possible side effects from eating Splenda?

No. There have been no long-term tests of Splenda to fully determine potential health effects on humans. We have no idea what the long-term consequences of eating this chlorinated artificial sweetener may be, and it is impossible to say with any certainty that Splenda is safe to eat over an extended period of time.

Why was Splenda approved for use in the U.S. if there are no human studies on its health effects?

The FDA approved Splenda for human consumption even though they acknowledge that it is a chemical compound containing chlorine even though there were no long-term tests conducted to fully determine potential health effects on humans; and despite concerns raised by consumer interest groups.

Is Splenda as safe for me as all natural, real sugar?

Because there have been no long-term studies performed on humans, it is unknown whether Splenda is as safe to use as all natural, real sugar. Sugar has been safely used by humans for more than 2,000 years.

How long has Splenda been available in stores?

Splenda has been on the market since 1998, and Johnson & Johnson has invested what is estimated by some industry experts to be about $40 million per year in advertising to convince consumers that Splenda is similar to sugar. One marketing ethics reporter has characterized Johnson & Johnson’s advertising campaign as “sleight of hand marketing.” No where on Splenda’s packaging is a label informing consumers that it contains chlorine or that it is an artificial sweetener.

Why isn’t chlorine listed as an ingredient on Splenda labels?

Sucralose, which is the basis of Splenda, is listed on all packaging for products that include Splenda. Sucralose is a chlorinated artificial sweetener that results when hydroxyl groups are replaced by chlorine molecules. So while chlorine is not listed, sucralose is, which contains chlorine and is not natural sugar.

Which products contain Splenda?

According to the manufacturers of Splenda, more than 3,500 products in your grocery store contain Splenda.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Shorerider is out to ensure we never eat or drink again! ~smiling~
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Haha! I liked this post... cause I also use Splenda (as well as diet soda)... Oops! :noway:

I grew up in Florida and I will go ahead and tell you that most florida water (from the faucet) has chlorine in it... you can actually slightly smell it. In fact, I don't know for sure but I would imagine all city/ county water in the U.S. is treated with chlorine to some degree. Plus, also being a florida kid I practically swam in pools year-round... there's no telling how much pool water (with pee in it too) that I swallowed!!! Haha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess what I am getting at is it is safe if used in SMALL amounts (once again moderation is KEY)... I mean, I'm still alive... and my health physical/ STATS usually come back GREAT each year!

Don't stress just use less! :flowerforyou: GREAT POST! Thanks for the info! :glasses:

:heart: KB
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Ok that's it.. I'm never eating or drinking again.. ( Yeah right..I wouldn't be here if that were the case hahaha!!) :tongue:
  • kalnfitz
    kalnfitz Posts: 8
    Options
    I have heard this about Splenda too, I primarily use it in my coffee, and not really anything else, so hopefully I am ok with my 2-4 packets a day! :smile:

Ugh the diet soda is a WHOLE different story for me though! :embarassed:
  • LML79
    Options
    Yes.. I know wht you mean Kalnfitz..The only time I use Splenda is in my coffee..which I have to have every day. I am a diet coke junkie though...
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Here's my thing...

Are we REALLY eating enough crap with sugar in it to warrant the risk/un-sur-ity (is that even a word?) to use Splenda?

I know nothing about it, but I guess that's how I have always felt about Splenda. What am I eating that is requiring the need for this item?

Sugar (Serving size) Calories
    Table Sugar 1 level teaspoon (4g) 15
    Table Sugar 1 heaped teaspoon (6g) 25
    Table Sugar 1 cup 770
    Table Sugar average (1 cube) 25
    Icing Sugar 1 average tablespoon (12g) 48

As Tam would say...DISCUSS!!!

:laugh:

Seriously, learn me!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Double post...

::delete::
  • izzyandobo
    izzyandobo Posts: 41
    Options
    We started buying diet coke with Splenda because I was having problems with asparatame (face numbness) after having my last child. But since then my husband has been having stomach cramps - we finally figured out that the Splenda was bothering him. I think I would rather just have a real coke once or twice a week and forget about all the problems with artificial sweeteners.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day eating and drinking everything without splenda. Typically I use at least this much Splenda in one day:

2 pkts. on grapefruit
    2 pkts. coffee
    2 pkts. hot tea
    4 pkts iced tea

That is comparable to eating 10 tsp of sugar which totals 160 extra calories a day and this is just my minimum Splenda intake. For the sake of being healthy I think I will stop using splenda altogether and cut my sugar back by 50%.

Thanks shorerider for the heads up on Splenda! :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • kalnfitz
    kalnfitz Posts: 8
    Options
    That's what I worry about with using regular sugar, prior to discovering splenda, I used a LOT of sugar, just seems like you need a LOT more to achieve the same taste, kwim?
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    After reading Skinny B**ch... I only drink water... and milk... UGH its gross what they tell u in that book.. ON occasion i will have a crystal light or propel but i cant stand the fact that all the diet pop i drank could actually have hurt me.. and yes diet is worse than reg. IF i have pop i limit myself to like 1 a month..lol... I just gave it up all together.. it just makes so much more sense.... until that is water becomes unhealthy...:bigsmile:
  • ecabrera
    ecabrera Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Scary info on splenda. I have used for years with no side effects. Only 1-2 packets a day, though. Do not drink diet soda, just water or green tea which I do not sweeten. The two-three times a year I want soda, I drink a regular Coke instead. Thanks for the warning.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I'll let everyone know if my problems clear up by cutting down on Splenda.

I still need it in my coffee for sure!

Meanwhile, I think the key is definitely moderation in everything! A couple packs a day vs. cups of the stuff, right?
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I stopped using splenda, (there was a splenda-shut off post) in early may. I have lost weight more consistantly since stopping it and I was only using 2-4 packets a day in coffee.

I have swtiched to agave and the extra calories have not hurt me at all.

I didnt read your entire initial post because I have done my own research on splenda but it should be noted that I found research that said that ANY ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER can cause you to gain weight.

They say that when your body ingests things that taste really sweet, but have no calories, your body begins to think of all sweets as "free food" (fruit, sugar, ice cream, chocolate, donuts,etc.) meaning you crave them more and when you eat them you are less satisfied and they dont' make you full, because your body stops recognizing the sweet flavor as calorie-dense.

my weight loss is as follows.

Mid march: 152,
    April 9: 152
    April 24: 150
    May 4th: 149 (splenda stopped here)

May 14: 148
    May 24: 146
    May 27: 145

so I don't know.. It seems to me like it's coming off more easily now. Maybe that's just coincidence? Or maybe there's a reason for it

but my weight was STAGNANT for about 3 weeks at 152 (my starting weight) and then over the next 4 weeks I finally lost a total of 3 lbs. Then I stopped splenda, and over the last 3 weeks I have lost 4 lbs.

good luck! I say, go natural as much as possible!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    This makes me rethink the splenda thang..but I mostly use stevia it IS natural plant based kinda wierd after taste but in comparion to those nasty side effects Ill take it!!!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I think I would rather just have a real coke once or twice a week and forget about all the problems with artificial sweeteners.

I agree, but high fructose corn syrup isn't very good for you either. (It's always something!) Some people really blame HFCS for a lot of American's health and weight problems. Apparently your body doesn't recognize the calories in HFCS, and you are more likely to have food cravings. That's what I've heard anyway.

I try to stick to sugar, maple syrup, stevia, agave syrup, or honey in small doses. Good luck everyone, because some days I feel like artificial sweeteners or HFCS is in EVERYTHING!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ok that's it.. I'm never eating or drinking again.. ( Yeah right..I wouldn't be here if that were the case hahaha!!) :tongue:

~smiling at You~

I guess we could limit ourselves to water (but only 3 quarts a day, and properly spaced apart to not wash out all electrolytes), carrots (but only organic), and apples (but no bug spray, and make sure you dont eat too many or you will get cancer).
  • LML79
    Options
    :laugh: Yeah really...mind as well just grab a handful of dirt and grass for lunch..Yum..:wink: