Eggplant Parmesan Bites - YUM!

Options
triskele
triskele Posts: 26 Member
I found this recipe in the newspaper recently, made a couple of modifications, and wow is it good! Can be eaten as a main dish or side. Enjoy!

8 oz. Japanese eggplant (the slender, longish kind), ends trimmed, cut into 12 3/4 inch slices
3 Tbsp. olive oil + more for drizzling
3 small roma tomatoes, cut into 12 1/2 inch slices
1 polenta log (I used Frieda's organic basil and garlic), cut into 12 1/2 inch slices
1/4 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
salt, pepper, italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 425
Toss eggplant slices with 2 Tbsp olive oil, then generously salt and pepper.
Arrange in 1 layer on a baking sheet and bake 15 min.
Meanwhile, heat 1Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Brown the polenta slices (about 5 minutes each side).
Mix the cheese together.
Take eggplant out of oven; top each with a slice of tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with italian seasoning. Add a little pile of cheese to the top of each. Put back into the oven under broiler until cheese is bubbly and a little brown.
Place each eggplant tower onto a polenta slice and serve!

Makes 12 eggplant parmesan bites
Nutrition for each: 113 calories, 13 g carb, 5 g fat, 3 g protein, 148mg sodium.

I made a meal out of 4 and it came to 452 calories. This is going in my regular dinner rotation now :tongue:

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    this sounds really yummy. i think i would use homemade polenta though. :D
  • triskele
    Options
    Homemade polenta would definitely work, but I like the way the polenta tube lets you slice nice round disks that stay together. When I make it from scratch, I always end up with something like mashed potatoes. :ohwell:
  • fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    this sounds so yummy, I need to try this for sure!! Also, has anyone have any polents recipes too? Polenta and eggplant sounds so good. Thanks
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Homemade polenta would definitely work, but I like the way the polenta tube lets you slice nice round disks that stay together. When I make it from scratch, I always end up with something like mashed potatoes. :ohwell:

You just need to let it set and it will solidify like the packaged stuff :) Spread it out in a cookie sheet and let it cool and you'll be able to cut it into round discs with a biscuit cutter or a glass.

This pic shows some that I made in that way:

7546822056_e8b344bdf1_z.jpg
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • triskele
    Options
    Great idea! I guess I have been too impatient with my polenta. I will definitely give the "cooling" method a try. Thanks for the tip!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sounds great - I'm going to try it...
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    looks yummy! I will make these tonight, thanks!
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yum! Eggplant Parm!
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This sounds wonderful!!
  • cfc32flvrs
    cfc32flvrs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Man, I should not have looked at this before lunch... now I want some!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I haven't had polenta for years, but I used some in a meal this week and it got raves, now I have something else to try
  • lovewish
    lovewish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump..thanks
  • jeannate52
    jeannate52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for sharing
  • SilentJo
    Options
    Sounds great! Will be trying this very soon!

jo
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Found this after searching for polenta ideas and want to copy down later. I wonder if my anti-eggplant husband might even be interested...
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    this looks fabulous!!!