Getting Things Under Control

Options
I posted something in Introduce Yourself which I am thinking it is the wrong one being I need HELP….
I am 5’2, 172lbs and tired of being overweight, tired of making excuses, clothes not fitting right, cannot find the right thing to fit, tired of crying over the same spilled milk, the list can go on and on…. I will post my food log & exercise here hoping to get some help from others as to what I am doing wrong. I am open to critique to help me with my nutrition and exercise. Thanks
Breakfast
3 boiled egg whites
Oatmeal

Snack
1 Sugar Free Jello
1 Apple

Lunch
Chinese Sweet n’ Sour Pork
Chinese mixed vegetables

Replies

• suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Probably not eating enough. Yep, you read that right. You need to eat enough calories to keep your matabalism up. I'm sure you will get a more in-debt response from somebody who knows more about this than me.

GOOD LUCK and DONT GIVE UP!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. it looks like you have not had dinner yet, but the chinese for lunch is a big red flag! Do you log your calories on this site to see where your at on calories everyday?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    It might be best if you make your food diary public so that we can see the quantity of what you're eating as well as the nutrition data for each item and your totals for the day.
  • kltobin2010
    kltobin2010 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? How much do you exercise? Those are huge when it comes to weight-loss. It's def is hard work and a struggle! Also, if you're not eating enough, especially the right kinds of foods, your body is going to hold on to the weight. Like someone suggested, log your cals and make sure you are eating the required cals that MFP suggest.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I agree w/prior posters that you need to log a complete day to see where you are, also make sure you are eating enough. One other point, regarding snacks. In order to keep your blood sugar stable, to forestall hunger and keep your metabolism steady, snacks should have protein, fat and carbs. Jello and an apple don't fill that requirement. If you did the apple with some cheese, there would be protein and fat in the cheese. The apple gives you carbs and fiber--another important component of an effective snack. Sugar free jello might be ok as a dessert or to help you forestall an attack of the sweet tooth, but as a snack, it really doesn't do much toward nourishment or making you feel full.

Good luck. Use the tools on this site. Be consistent. Start exercising, even if it is just a 30 minute walk every day, and you WILL see results, and keep asking questions. As you can see, people read and respond, and as a result, you learn, and increase your chances of success. Good luck!!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Would imagine you have already set your goals on this site, which should provide you with your recommended calorie intake per day to lost weight. Just by what you listed, that is not enough food/calories!!!!!!!! And chinese food is a boat load of sodium, which also is not good. I am 5'7" and started out at 180 and have lost 25 pounds since January 4 eating just under 1400 calories a day and working out 2 times a week (either an elliptical of just fast paced walking). I am religious about entering every morsel of food I eat, even teaspoons of condiments and drink lots of water. I have reached a plateau it seems, but truly believe you have to lose weight if you eat at or just below the MFP recommend daily calorie intake based on your current weight and height and activity level. So if you have not used the MFP site to establish your HRM and set your goals, you need to do so and also feel free to look at other folks food diaries to get an idea of some healthier food choices you could make to help you on this endeavor.
  • burgessg
    burgessg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much this has been a great help and encouragement. I will keep the Chinese food out of my diet.... Ladies reading your responses put a smile on my face.... BELIEVE ME!!! It feel good to have someone encourage you and point you in the right direction.
    @Weaklink109 - I did not know about having fat, pro, & carbs in every meal. I was thinking as long as I eat 5 - 6 small meals a day was good enough... thanks
    @Holton, KLT2010, Kelynn, faerie88 - yes I log my food on this site - I just made it public.... thanks for the pointers.
  • babybefit38
    Options
    Gloria I told you this was a great site. You are well on your way my friend.
  • burgessg
    Options
    I know right thanks dear... :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Regarding the chinese food--you don't have to give it up--just be smart about what you order. Stay away from breaded/fried items. Shirmp, chicken or bean curd (aka tofu) and lots of veggies. Easy on the sauce....ask for it on the side. and ask them to prepare your food w/o salt or msg. I am fortunate to have a restaurant near my home that will do that on request, so there a lots of things on their menu I can enjoy without overloading on calories or salt.

You can also ask for made to order soup entrees without salt or msg. And as for rice vs noodles--go for the rice--brown if they have it. Otherwise, the white is ok, but go easy, a cup of cooked rice has about 200 calories in it. And pan fried noodles--ya DON"T wanna know!!!:huh: :frown: :wink:

Another secret about Chinese, or any other restaurant meal is since they usually give you way more than you should eat in one meal, ask for the take out box when the food is served, and immediately divide up what you have been given, so you can have a reasonable amount on your plate. It is much easier to control your portions this way than to leave it there and pick away, and pretty soon you have eaten the whole thing!!

Good luck.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Since I have joined this site I have found one thing that really helps me is to plan my meals for the next day. I add in my food ahead of time to try to get it balanced out as much as I can. Then the next day I know exactly what I'm going to be eating so that I'm not way over on something like carbs but under on protein.
  • burgessg
    Options
    @weaklink109 - you so correct if I do not ask for a to go tray I will try to eat more than a normal portion. Thansk for the heads-up and suggestions.

@aawh - thanks it is a change I am making now.... Planning ahead is the key.
  • burgessg
    Options
    Question???? - When I exercise do I have to eat the additional calories recommended? If so, I do not know how to incoporate it into my diet. I think I am already eating a lot. Thanks
  • burgessg
    Options
    Posting my food & exercise journal on here has really kept me focus - still learning how to go to other journals to reply to their...
  • burgessg
    Options
    Starting Tuesday I walked to the 9th floor and down and really feeling it today. My legs and calves are SORE.... lol I am feeling good becasue I am staying on target with my eating and workouts.
  • burgessg
    Options
    I'm feeling depressed and out of it today.... I know its not fault I GAINED all this weight back... I am struggling to refocus to get the weight off. One day I am like I can do this and there are other days where I feel like I am a failure.......