Doing P90X and have some questions...

Options
for all of you that have done p90x. Is it normal to feel hungry all the time? I am working so hard at make good choices and it is getting hard on my wallet to do that. Is it possible to get good nutrition (for doing p90x) and stay full eating lean meat and fruit and veggies only? I have some protein bars but don't get much choice in those as my daughter is so allergic to any nut that I can't eat them. Where can I get a recovery drink (other then p90x)? Also how can I motivate myself to want to work out that hard for an hour? Have not missed a day and don't plan too just having a hard time getting myself to WANT to do like I have wanted to with other programs.

Thanks for the advice in advance :0)

Amanda

Replies

• Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's a great sign if you are hungry - that means your metablism is cranked up. So, fuel it, eat something! You don't have to eat only protein bars/shakes, yogurt with fruit & some almonds is a great snack, try to keep it around 200 calories, more protein than carbs. Don't short yourself on the carbs, either, if you are bonking during your workouts, add in a 100 calorie carb to your day, it's not uncommon to need to do that when you are mid-way through the first month. Your body needs you to have some complex carbs for fuel. Stick with the workouts, it takes time to get into P90X - you'll "love it, but I hate it" at the same time. I don't know of another recovery drink, guess I haven't looked because I love the P90X recovery drink. I typically only use a single scoop rather than 2 scoops, unless I've just done plyo or legs & back, then I need both!

Good luck, and keep pushing play!

Stephanie
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    I USE ACCELERADE FOR MY RECOVERY DRINK. VERY GOOD! I ALSO USE SUPERPUMP 250 AS A PRE WORKOUT SUPP THAT REALLY HELPS GET YOU GOING. THEY MAKE MANY DIFFERENT PRE WORKOUT SUPPS, BUT I FIND SUPERPUMP TO BE MY #1 CHOICE. I ONLY TAKE IT WHEN I DO STRENGTH TRAINING AND NOT WHEN I DO PLYO, KEMPO OR YOGA.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    each workout burns about 600 calories, so yeah you definitley will be hungry! Eat lots of protein!
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    a good recovery drink would be a perfect water and bananas. and if you have nutrilite twist tube sport, put it in the perfect water and thats a great recovery drink :)

cause it has extra oxygen that your body needs and the banana is good cause of the possum and the twist tube is good on the work out. <3
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    a good recovery drink would be a perfect water and bananas. and if you have nutrilite twist tube sport, put it in the perfect water and thats a great recovery drink :)

cause it has extra oxygen that your body needs and the banana is good cause of the possum and the twist tube is good on the work out. <3

Extra oxygen in something you are eating isn't going to do a damn thing fyi. A good recovery drink would be something that has a mix of carbs and protein in it to help replenish glycogen stores and to help rebuild muscle tissue.

I also use super pump every now and then. I like the little boost it gives you.
  • rschwa
    rschwa Posts: 27
    Options
    Yeah, you don't have to spend a lot for recovery drinks, but they are very important in order to not feel sore the next day. I use Ovaltine.

Google 'Chocolate Milk Recovery Drink'. You can spend 3x as much for some scientific handwaving, but the important part is just having something between 3:1 and 5:1 carb:protein within the first 30 or 40 minutes after working out.

As far as feeling hungry all the time, when I started the low-carb part of the diet, the challenge of trying to eat 300 grams of protein a day meant I was essentially full all the time eating meat, eggs, protein powder,etc - and I never did manage to get as much food as I was supposed to. Now that I'm shifting into phase 2, it's a little easier to get the calories without filling up, so I'm actually hungry on occasion, but I also have more energy which is nice.