Anyone Come from Weight Watchers/WW Online..

Options
just wondering if anyone has been a WW in the past 2 years? Did you feel like you couldn't keep up with the changes.. or the price? What made you come to MFP?
Not that there is anything wrong with WW. I seriously think its one of the BEST weight loss programs out there. That is REAL and you actually HAVE to eat to lose weight.. much like this program.. anyways..
That is how I lost 44 lbs in 2010 but gained 20 of it back since then. Right now I cant afford WW but I may go back someday.

I am LOVING mfp and the app on my iphone. I have made some great friends and its only been a week. I guess my question is do you still have a WW mindset doing MFP?

Replies

• SarahL522
    SarahL522 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    HI, yes I came from WW online. havent cancelled yet.. I agree I absolutely loved it. It taught me to make better food choices, portion control and gave me great meal ideas. THe recipe section is actually the only reason why I havent cancelled yet. BUT I must say.. I like this just as much as WW. but I have pretty much memorized the WW program. THey are a great program, but really EVERYTHIGN here is the same as WW Online. I actually have WAYY better luck finding food here than on WW. the thing i DONT like about this is the Reports section. I LOVE WWs report section.. ticks off clearly the days you lost, with a graph at the bottom showing 5inches lost.. so.. if anyone knows how to tweak the reports section here I would beyond happy.
  • SarahL522
    Options
    and yes.. i still do have a WW mindset doing this. :)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I lost 67 pounds w Weight Watchers about 4 years ago. I gained back 30. The gain back just shows me I didn't change my lifestyle or mindset.

On ww, I found myself eating crap, low point food since protein is a lot of points. I remember being hungry A LOT while on ww. As a recovering bulimic, I really struggled with the urge to binge while on ww. I really liked it when they made fruit and veggies 0 points but that ain't realistic. I eat about 300 calories a day in fruits and veggies. Nowadays I eat mor meals and homemade stuff.

I think weight watchers works for those who make it lifelong. I am too poor for that, lol
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight on WW. The program is fantastic, and I can't say enough great things about it.

However, you have to follow it and incorporate it into your life in order for it to work. And like anything it, if you quit doing, the weight will come back.

It's very real world, and livable. I love the weekly point options too - if I go over my daily and dip into my weekly, I don't feel like I've failed.

And yes, I do eat a lot of fruit....
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I've been on WW online since February and I love it. I use MFP because I wanted to start tracking my sodium. I intend to be a WW for life.
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few years ago and I can still log in for the recipes I saved. I am doing WW again, got two cook books, digital WW magazine but I am still holding back to pay for subscription. Reason is that everyone says MFP is the same but free. I agree and I track all food including fruit and veggies.
    Still feel there is more 'control', program keeps track what you gain or loose, the marks on your way to your goal, yes the reports are better than here (you're right SarahL552), but is it worth it to pay $ 65 for three months? What would you do?
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on the old system. The new one I tried and didn't lose a thing.
  • shell22holmes
    Options
    I bought the WW program off eBay. It came with everything that I needed (calculator, food guide, dining out guide, food tracker) all for about $50. I couldn't afford to go to the weekly meetings, so I did it this way instead, I lost 35lbs in 8 months doing WW on my own.
    I gained it back, once I went off the program, and since then WW changed their point system. I downloaded an app (it was either free or 99cents) called MyScorePlus, and it's basically WW, with options for old points system and new points system, you can calculate the correct number of points you need, it also has a built in food guide, points calculator and tracker. If it cost anything, it it still way cheaper than joining WW. I also googled Weight Watcher food points guide and there is a generic food list and the assigned points for each food. It has a lot of food listed so that helped too.
    I use the MyScorePlus and MFP in conjunction. I like MFP for the social aspect and the many tools available on it, and the MyScorePlus as guidelines as another way to keep me on track.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The new plan just wasn't working for me.

I lost 30 lbs on the old plan a few years ago.
  • tigstoy
    Options
    I did WW meetings and lost 100lbs in 10 months. I was fantastic. I just made the mistake and went back to my old eatting habits after awhile and gained alot of it back. I like this app so much better than.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it works for some people but I'm a cheap *kitten*. I'm not paying anyone to lose weight. I have all the tools I need at home, and MFP is a great bonus because it makes doing the math (tracking cals) simple.
    As a matter of fact, I save money losing weight because I don't waste money on fast foods and beer and such. That's another incentive for me.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on the old system. The new one I tried and didn't lose a thing.

This is me. I lost 45lbs in 2005 and managed to keep it off until around 2010 and I've since gained it all back. I fought during 2010-2012 to get a grip on the new system, but it just does not work. I don't know what it is. There's just something about it that just doesn't work. I've heard this from a lot of people too.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've tried WW many times and twice in the last 2 years including this year. I just don't lose weight on counting points for some reason. I have been on this site for about 3 weeks or so and lost almost 5 pounds so counting everything helps keep me on track better.
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    The new plan didnt work well for me at all.
  • donnamariewilliams
    Options
    I did WW some time ago. I lost the weight and gained it back. While WW is good, it does not track individual items like protein, fiber, sodium, sugar, etc. I retain water. So tracking sodium has greatly helped me. So on WW, I could eat a bag of pretzels and still stay under my points. But on MFP, my sodium level would be way over. Both are good. This is just better for me! :bigsmile:
  • SarahL522
    Options
    No I dont think it is worth it just for the reports.. I was keeping it for the recipes... You can still log on to get them without paying? Ill cancel NOW!! :)
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No I dont think it is worth it just for the reports.. I was keeping it for the recipes... You can still log on to get them without paying? Ill cancel NOW!! :)

Yes it has been years ago, but logging in you can still go to all recipes that you saved, post messages and so. The only thing you cannot do is tracking food of course.
  • nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do both. Started WW online but may not keep it up. I have the app and can log my points so I will continue with that. At the same time I use MFP to keep track of calories and sodium. It works for me.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was on WW before Propoints was introduced. I was doing really well and was about 10-12 pounds lighter than I am now which was the lowest weight I had ever been as an adult. About a week before Propoints went Live, I went through a bad patch and stopped counting points and I told myself I would go back on WW and have a fresh start. But I just found Propoints so complicated and I lost my motivation. It didn't help that all the labels with the points had suddenly changed to Propoints and I felt like I was being forced to follow this new plan when I didn't feel there anything wrong with the old one.