Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Average Calories from Thanksgiving - NY Times

Options
2»

Replies

• LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Nice informational post. I am going to try to get exercise that day and not pig out.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    idgaf >:)
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me I hate dark meat, stuffing, green bean casserole au gratin potatoes etc. Rolls and Broccoli cheddar and rice casserole will by my only temptation at Thanksgiving. Even if I did like that food there's no way I could stuff that much in my face in one day, especially now. I think they've overexaggerated it a bit.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am going to walk six miles in the morning and try to stay below 4,000 :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can beat that easy

I don't doubt that I have in years past! Three platefuls of mostly starchy carbs, plus three pieces of pie adds up real fast! :laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Uhh I bet 4500 cals is easy. In the OP you say 6oz turkey. Who in the hell only eats that little? Let's face it, everyone goes back for seconds.

Not me! I save my seconds for mashed potatoes loaded with gravy, home made bread, and an extra slice of pie because who can choose between pumpkin and apple?? :laugh:

I do think I'll log it this year just to see what I eat. I'm not going to freak out over any number, I hit 3500 calories on Halloween and lost weight the next weigh in. One bad day doesn't undo 29 good ones.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was curious so just entered a typical Christmas day and I hit over 10,000 cals and that was without adding in cheese and crackers and pate that I usually have too.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was curious so just entered a typical Christmas day and I hit over 10,000 cals

ya but Christmas doesn't count because of all that baby Jesus stuff
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Ok, I was curious so just entered a typical Christmas day and I hit over 10,000 cals

ya but Christmas doesn't count because of all that baby Jesus stuff

Yeah, that Figgy Pudding is a killer.

I am running a 5K on Thanksgiving morning. If I overeat, I will make up for it in the days to follow. My alcohol tolerance is laughable these days and I can only eat so much at a time. I should be fine, and again if I'm not, I will make it back in the days to follow.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Quote: For one thing most people would have a hard time eating that much. After about 1,500 calories in one sitting, the gut releases a hormone that causes nausea. Average stomach capacity is about 8 cups, although it can range from 4 to 12.
    Unfortunately that has never been a problem for me. I also must be lacking the "nausea hormone" because I have never felt sick after a 1500 calorie meal (angry, disappointed, disgusted at myself, maybe, but never nauseated.) Also I think my stomach must be made of rubber because the amount of food plus fluids (I would frequently drink 4 or more glasses of iced tea with a big meal) that I could consume without feeling full probably could break records. This Thanksgiving I am eating turkey--white meat no skin-- and steamed carrots. There will be other Thanksgivings after I reach goal weight.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    4500? **** i probably ate 10 x that last thanksgiving.

that would be 12.8 pounds of food

possible I suppose but kind of proves the point of the OP.....that everyone exaggerates

Not really that hard, thanksgiving is an all day event, not just a meal. 4lbs of PB has about 24000 calories...
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm going to workout in the morning. But I'll be over fit sure, I don't care....it's one day. And I'll be lifting hard too, put those extra cals to good use :)
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    It's funny...all the comments prove that the AVERAGE truly is most likely 4500 calories. Lol

Here on a fitness site...quite a few people are saying they don't eat that much. Well...everyone else is eating double. Thus the average.

I know I didn't get fat on 2000 calories a day...so double that for a holiday....pretty easy.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Main meal is not the problem,
    dessert has high calorie & too many alchohol.