Do you eat the same things everyday to stay on track?

Options
Do you eat the same things everday while trying to lose weight or do you change it up? I think part of my 'not being able to stay on plan' is because there are SO many food choices and I get overwhelmed. I know it's not ideal for long term (boredom) but I think I might try making a week or two meal plan and just have the same things everyday. Might allow me to stick to my calorie goal better without impluse choices ...

Replies

• StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same breakfast and snacks everyday. I do however have the same menu for lunch and dinner every week. It does help me stay on track. Might be a good option for you.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Try something like having 75% of your calories planned, and 25% whatever you decide to have that day. Or use whatever ratio you need to keep you both sane and on track.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch most days. I'm a creature of habit... I give variety to my lunch by swapping out the protein with leftovers from supper (so, instead of hummus, I might have leftover fish, for example).

Makes it simpler for me. I leave the 'thinking' for supper time, hahaha!

ETA: If I can't decide on supper, I'll go through my recipes that I've already entered in MFP, and pick one from that list.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    No, that would make me so bored. I like to eat different things and things I love. So I do.
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes I try to eat the same things every day as well. Making a week or two meal plan is a great idea!
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It seems to work well for me if I eat the same stuff all the time...I need to not have to " think " about what I'm eating. Just put it in front of me and it's done lol...
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have most of my food planned during the week. Breakfast and lunches. I go on auto-pilot in the morning making my eggs and bacon, or protein shake and grapefruit. Lunch/snacks are salad, yogurt with berries and almonds or ground flaxseed. Apple with AB. Done and done!

I also like to be consistent because it's easier to "copy from date" than inputting it all in. I haz a lazy.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do stick to some basics when it's just me, it's easier when my partner's out of town - I can make several meals ahead & just heat them up later, as well as keeping the tempting stuff out of sight!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Do you eat the same things everday while trying to lose weight or do you change it up? I think part of my 'not being able to stay on plan' is because there are SO many food choices and I get overwhelmed. I know it's not ideal for long term (boredom) but I think I might try making a week or two meal plan and just have the same things everyday. Might allow me to stick to my calorie goal better without impluse choices ...

I usually eat the same breakfast during the work week, then have fun on weekends. Also, to save time and effort, I'll make a big recipe of something healthy that I can eat at work for lunch all week. Let's me experiment each week, but stay on track.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    During the work week, I eat almost the same thing every morning for breakfast. I have about three items I rotate between because they are fast, easy, and nutitionaly sound. If I start the day of right it helps me make better choices for the rest of the day.
  • techie30
    techie30 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to pretty much the same foods every day just so I don't have to think about it. I do oatmeal or Jimmy Dean delight sandwich for 1st meal, Ezekiel bread and peanut butter for 2nd meal, soup or such for 3rd meal, then a lean protein and veggie for 4th meal. Same snacks every day. I mix it up a little, but I don't have the time or energy to put that much thought into what I eat every day. I know almost exactly what's going in my body, so it takes the guesswork out (hmmm, can I eat this and still come in under my calories???).

It's not for everyone, I've been told that people would get bored doing it like that. I don't usually, but when I do I go ahead and mix it up. Not the end of the world :)
  • eskimite
    Options
    I use Mon-Fri menus, for sake of time and also b/c it relieves me of having to figure out what to eat for lunch/dinner during the week (both for myself and for family). So, I generally eat the same thing for lunch during the week and it's something I prepare and then freeze on Sunday. Dinner is diff every night, but the menu is planned out on Sunday. My snacks generally don't vary too much during the week. Sat/Sun, since I am not as pressed for time, are more flexible and I don't plan ahead (unless I have brunch/dinner plans).
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Instead of planning to eat the same thing everyday (boring) just pre plan a week or two of meals and make a few of them in advance and either refrigerate (and label) or freeze.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things every day for weeks at a time, not to keep me on track, but because it's what I do. I always considered it some kind of OCD/mental quirk.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you. Yes, it's great to get a variety of foods to get a mix of nutrients. However, if consistency makes it easier to stick to your goals, do that! Many fitness professionals eat the same old chicken breast and steamed broccoli for multiple meals in a day just to make it easier to plan and food prep!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my foods are the same, but that's just due to buying bulk at the store. I don't make it a point to eat the same thing every day. I think I would go mad if I lost the element of surprise with my food
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things for breakfast. Either oatmeal or a half a bagel with PB. Weekends I sometimes mix it up.

Dinner is where I am creative, usually based on the ingredients that were on sale at the store that week. I have a really easy standby dinner in case I can't think of anything else - protein (usually chicken) + veggie (lots of frozen veggies in my house, or whatever was on sale that week at the grocery store) + starch (quinoa, rice, pasta, more veggies - depends on what else I ate that day). Lunch is usually leftovers of dinner the night before.

It might not be a bad idea to create yourself 3-5 standby meals that are easy, and can be adjusted for what you have on hand. Having go-to meals might make it easier.

Also the 2 week meal plan is helpful in the grocery store! It might also get you on track to take a few weeks to settle into a routine with food, then you can always create a new 2 week meal plan when you get bored with what you have.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I tend to eat lots of left overs from supper but I've always done that
    I eat exactly the same as I did before but I have cut pizza out
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I plan on my dinners on a bi-weekly basis, but not anything else. Breakfast is usually pretty similar from day to day. And lunch I try to keep as left overs or sandwiches.
  • wholelottarosa
    Options
    I usually eat bread for breakfast and lunch and just vary with spreads.

For dinner I eat something different every day, depending on my mood or how many calories I have left.
    If I'm low on calories, I'll probably make soup. If I have more I'll make rice (or pasta or quinoa or cous cous or bulghur) with whatever veggies come to mind.