Have Thanksgiving Day Eating Habits Changed?

Options
mfpcopine
mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
I'm dreading Thanksgiving. I love food, but the reality is that I have to watch what I eat. There are a number of foodies in my family, all of whom are overweight or obese with the accompanying serious medical problems, which I'm trying to avoid. I think I will be the only normal-weight person this year. I also have a tendency to binge when I'm around wall-to-wall great food. I don't torture myself by counting calories -- it is Thanksgiving, after all -- but I wish there were less excess.

When I grew up, after the Meal, you were supposed to be barely unable to move from the table. You crawled to the living room, where you hibernated in front of the TV for several hours. That scenario is incredibly depressing to me.

Do you think the approach to the holiday is changing anywhere in the U.S?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I think I eat more
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I think I eat more
    ^This. I now have to make up for the fact I'm not shoveling mass quantities of food into my mouth regularly.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Lift more eat more
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Dreading is a shame.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the family, but I like to think that it has changed a little. But again it all depends on the family. There's only about 5-7 of us depending. I always think about lots of things to make, but the reality is that it wouldn't get eaten because there's so few of us and my sister in law eats like a bird so she doesn't even make a dent. We aren't together hours before the meal so loading up on appetizers doesn't occur. The meal is like any other dinner for me...well maybe a tad more but nothing extreme to where I'm so incredibly full I can't move or feel sick. We sit a little while and talk while our meal is resting and then have dessert. There is a little of sitting by the tv but we aren't together a really long time so doesn't encompass the whole day.

I would stick to your guns and instead of overindulging in everything just have smaller tastes of the fabulous dishes and don't crumple under the pier pressure to plop on the couch afterwards. Go for a walk after the food has settled and enjoy the fresh air. I would think that if you have family members that are obese and they can obviously see that you are losing weight maybe you'll inspire them and you'll get a walking partner.

Unforunately our friends and family don't always want the best for us. If they see us changing and they aren't but want to but are too afraid to try, then they are going to try to pull us back down. If they are afraid of change they will poo, poo at things that you are doing to better yourself. If they aren't good influences, it's sad but we have to move away from them and find people that are positive and will support us. Do what you feel is right for you, not what they want you to do.

Haha, I think you just got me to make a change for my day. I believe I'll be taking a walk afterwards. Think about that when you are with your family. We can be walking partners in spirit.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I remember plenty of Thanksgivings where it was heavy eating followed by hours of football but everyone seems to be trying to "lighten up" these days.

If you need any tips, I noticed I eat substantially less during the cocktail hour(s) if I hang out with the "standing group" instead of sitting at the appetizer table because I can only reasonably hold either a drink or an appetizer plate. You might try that! And not eating all those appetizers leaves more room for some of the healthier stuff at dinner (turkey, vegetables that aren't cooked in oil or canned soup--if there are any!).

Good luck!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The only thing thats changed is my family all grew up, got married, and had kids. We see each other much less. I also now have my moms family, dads family, and fiances family on the same day.

we still graze until someone declares, "dinners ready!"

we still watch football.

we still have 50+ tupperware containers to haul home.

when we roll in at midnight or later, im still always hungry again. i always have pumpkin pie before i crash.

my dad always roasts turkey on thanksgiving and freezes the leftovers for turkey gumbo on christmas.

my memaw always makes papaws (and my) favorite choccolate pie.

my fiance always says how much he hates turkey-but always eats as much as we do.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The only thing thats changed is my family all grew up, got married, and had kids. We see each other much less. I also now have my moms family, dads family, and fiances family on the same day.

we still graze until someone declares, "dinners ready!"

we still watch football.

we still have 50+ tupperware containers to haul home.

when we roll in at midnight or later, im still always hungry again. i always have pumpkin pie before i crash.

my dad always roasts turkey on thanksgiving and freezes the leftovers for turkey gumbo on christmas.

my memaw always makes papaws (and my) favorite choccolate pie.

my fiance always says how much he hates turkey-but always eats as much as we do.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No. While my portions might be smaller (or if not I just eat less of it) I am going to indulge in the yumminess that is Thanksgiving and all the stuff it brings.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My perfect T-day includes:
    1. Stove Top stuffing: 4 servings
    2. Canned Cranberry sauce without the cranberries and with the ridges, thank you very much: 4 servings
    3. Egg Custard pie: 1/2 pie, maybe more if no one's looking.
    4. Regret: loads

Yes, I plan on the regret as much as I plan on the other 3 things.