Warm Orange Beet Salad

Options
KimAggie04
KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
This is my new favorite:

1 bunch of beets (cleaned with the root tails & stems removed)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons water
3 small blood oranges (or 2 large oranges)
1/4 cup toasted walnuts (chopped)

Place beets on foil, add the water & oil. Fold foil into a closed packet. Roast at 400 degrees F until tender, about 50 minutes. Peel the beets and cut into wedges. Segment 2 oranges and mix in a bowl with the beets and walnuts. Squeeze the remaining orange over the mixture and toss.

This salad tastes great when the beets are still warm and when it has been chilled. If I use organic beets, I don't peel off the skin, because it's also delicious and adds nutrients.

Replies

• melanogaster
    Options
    This sounds fantastic!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bump....will have to make this soon
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked beets! Maybe I should try fresh beets, I have had canned and they taste like dirt. But this recipe looks incredibly delicious! I may have to try it :D
  • enid42
    enid42 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That sounds delish.

Beets are very underrated, especially roasted beets. The are great by themselves, awesome added to normal salads. Grated raw beets are even good on salads. They are also great for juicing. The Mexican grocery store near me sells loose beets, no tops, for a buck a pound.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love fresh beets and have been looking for new ideas on how to prepare them so I'll try this. You've given me an idea too: I think I'll try raw beets and oranges together in a green salad with walnuts...maybe use a lime dressing.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love fresh beets and have been looking for new ideas on how to prepare them so I'll try this. You've given me an idea too: I think I'll try raw beets and oranges together in a green salad with walnuts...maybe use a lime dressing.

Lime Dressing? I am curious about that. I love anything citrus.

I love roasted beets, and they're really easy to cook. I'll have to tried them raw sometime soon.

ilovelucy - Besides my 5 year old daughter, no one else in my family (or friends) will touch them. I have heard the "dirt" comment before. :) That's alright... More for me!!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump