When you go out drinking how many calories do you save?

Options
Tonight I have a party to attend, so I ate lightly all day + got in a good elliptical workout this afternoon and now I have ~625 calories leftover just for drinks and a few munchies if I want. I'm wondering if this is too little calories, or just enough? What do you think? :)

I'm hoping it will be just enough. I am half asian and I think I have that weird 'alcohol flush' reaction or am just a bit of a lightweight. Compared to all my friends, even those who are skinnier than I am I seem to always be the first one to be wasted :/ literally, I'm gone by the time most people are just starting to get buzzed.

Replies

• GrandmaInTraining
    Options
    If you stick to lower calorie beverages that should be more than enough. I like a vodka and seltzer with a splash of juice... cut out the juice completely and the only calories you are getting are from the alcohol. Also, if you want to avoid being the first one with the room spinning, alternate your cocktails with a juice spritzer. No one would know if you don't want them to and you will probably feel better in the morning.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat something before you go out drinking. It's not good to be drinking on an empty stomach.

What do you like to drink? You could have two rum and diet cokes for about 150 cals. In between you can just drink diet coke or drink water between drinks and don't go overboard.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I drink at home. Alone. In the dark. Listening to Charlie Parker.
  • peanutbutterpretzels
    Options
    Don't worry I have something planned to eat! It's also a birthday party so there will be cake, and many trays of other foods (veggies, sushi, crisps, etc). I think I heard something about pizza as well.

I don't like to mix drinks typically, unless it's with diet soda. I LOVE to drink straight from the bottle.
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I tend to be pretty good! drinking with diet mixers, no beer.

Then I get smashed and buy a carry out or something. Pah!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Please heed the warning - eat something fatty and substantial before you drink. The fat helps slow down the alcohol from rushing into your bloodstream which could cause you to get nauseous or tipsy very fast.

Also, don't ever eat super light or only eat a salad on a day you know you'll be drinking.... I say this from my and my friend's experience. It's BAD NEWS.

Also having sips of water or a non-alcoholic drink between drinks/shots will help keep you on your toes and keep the calories down a bit. Have fun!
  • charl2712
    charl2712 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If i know I'm going out and will probably end up drinking, I try and save some of my daily calories, usually around 300 and then I make sure I go to the gym on the day and burn at least 900cals, usually try for 1100 cals, so that I can have a few decent drinks and munchines, but also still have a calorie defecit.
  • peanutbutterpretzels
    Options
    Auroranflash: ok I will. I didn't eat a salad, I actually hate lettuce to be honest so that wouldn't work lol. Sorry you and your friend had to find that out the hard way! :/
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Auroranflash: ok I will. I didn't eat a salad, I actually hate lettuce to be honest so that wouldn't work lol. Sorry you and your friend had to find that out the hard way! :/

In all fairness I just didn't eat enough - my friend knowingly ate a rotten salad. :laugh: So take that as you will...
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Drink beer if that is more your style.

I'm not sure where you are but here in Canada you can get decent beers for around 100 cals a bottle.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I drink at home. Alone. In the dark. Listening to Charlie Parker.

You're my hero.

OP, remember to drink water. Most hangovers are caused by dehydration.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Nice. Those who get drunk easy (you and me both, sister), can drink slower, spend less money, and save more calories. =)
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    About 200 for drinks and more like 500-750 for party snacks.

If you drink vodka or Rum with diet soda you can have 3-4 drinks throughout the night on 210 calories so that's what I stick with. Then just try to keep the snacks healthy if they have a veggie tray go there first. Pizza is okay if it's one slice on thin crust with only one meat topping....but if you wanna have cake you should pass on the pizza.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't usually save calories because I only "go out" a few times a month. I usually have a glass or two of wine and forego the snacks (I might have a few chips, or a handful of nuts...I try to keep it to one serving size or less).

I'm sure this might not be recommended since I don't "build it in" to my daily plan but I'm at 1200 calories a day and I certainly don't think I can meet my nutritional needs if I build alcohol in. I look at it as a once-in-a-while treat.

Hope this helps!
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Here is what my personal trainer gave me for advice on drinking, and she follows this as well.... Eat your normal food calories, and drink clear alcohol, pretty much that means vodka. She drinks vodka and water with lemon.. yeah gross I know. LOL but it keeps you from retaining water, and is low calorie.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    None. In my lifestyle calories aren't a worry because my weight/body composition is based on what I eat not how much I eat. Besides, a good portion of the protein (and we have more/better access to animal proteisn because our body loves it and it is complete protein) and fat we eat goes towards cellular and body maintenance (by the way, the body uses saturated fat for that cellular repair and maintenance. It's the most stable) and therefore cannot apply as/towards energy intake. It doesn't get used as energy so those calories can't count as calories.

If I want to drink I just go for it and enjoy myself. The only thing that might happen to me - if I'm not careful - is I'll forget about my lifestyle and go crazy on foods I normally don't eat. I might have some gut issues from the foods over the next couple of days and my gut might bloat up a bit and I might retain some water. But no harm done. My body rights itself much faster these days.

My drinking never involves alcohol and soda or fruit juice.
  • shandibrookee
    Options
    will you be dancing the night away? if so, dont worry to much! you'll burn lots! have fun :)
  • IGotUrPistola
    Options
    Am I the only one that lol'd at this question? haha
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    about half of my daily amount haha. Then again with all the weight loss 1 or 2 jameson on the rocks get me wasted
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i dont count my drinking days haha

i dont see any weight gain the next day so it doesnt bother me

i drink to drink and have a good time. it isnt any fun count calories all night...some people will hate that remark lol
    im a nazi regarding food, alcohol..not so much