Best Bread?

Options
One of my co-workers (a naturally skinny thing) makes toast every day for lunch and the smell is starting to kill me. If I don't find something to satiate this smell induced craving I'll totally bomb my diet. So I'm thinking I'll incorporate 1 piece of toast topped with a little bit of peanut butter and a fresh sliced apple on it.

But the question is, what bread? I was hoping for something multi-grain or whole wheat.

Suggestions?

(I grew up on Home Pride White bread, so I am bread naive. haha.)

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a multi grain 45 cal per slice bread :)
    Earthgrain & Oro Wheat both make "buns" that are 100 cals (50 for 2 slices)
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I like Natures Own, whitewheat, only 22 carbs for 2 peices. I don't know about the wheat but I know they have it. I LOVE TOAST TOO!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I personally think that the 45 calorie breads taste terrible and leave a lot to be desired :)

With that said, I really like Trader Joe's Soft 10 Grain Bread. It has 90 calories a slice and doesn't contain any enriched flour and is pretty tasty and filling!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I love Sara Lee's whole grain bread :D SOOO good. Get some!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I use pepperidge farms multigrain deli flats - 100 cal or Thomas everything bagel thins - 110 cals.- mmmmmmm they are both delish!
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Village Hearth Italian, Wheat, and a few other kinds. 1 piece - 40 calories. They also sell awesome hamburger buns, 1 bun = 80 calories. D'Italiano Light Italian is also good, 40 calories per slice, put I prefer Village Hearth.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like Arnold's 12 Grain. It's regular old bread with about 100 cal a slice, but if you're only having 1 piece, it shouldn't be a problem
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like Mrs. Baird's %100 whole wheat only 60 cal per slice
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I've become a big fan of Brownberry Grain Lover's bread. It's got sunflower seeds in it, which is hard to find, plus it's thin sliced so it toasts up gorgeously.
  • kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    Options
    I eat the Food for Life brand Ezekiel bread. It is a sprouted whole grain bread made from organic grains. It is also low glycemic and is a complete protein. It is 80 cals per slice and has three grams of fiber. You can find the bread in the freezer section of most stores. I also store it in my freezer.

Now, I must note that I try to be vegan and eat a somewhat raw diet and this may be too many whole grains at once!! I love mashing up 1/2 an avocado and adding tomato for an open face sandwich at lunch.

Good luck with your bread search!

Kristine
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I personally grew up on Roman Meal Wheat Bread, but have been eating either Nature's Own Double Fiber Whole Wheat or 100% Whole Wheat. It is only 50 calories a slice, and actually tastes like bread. :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I generally buy Dempster's flax or ancient grains bread. The ancient grains is my favorite. Look for a natural peanut butter too- the taste really grows on you once you give up the sweet stuff. :)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    http://www.daveskillerbread.com/

I don't know if you can find this bread where you live...Costco is usually the cheapest place to buy it. It is NOT cheap (between $4-$6 a loaf depending on the store) BUT it is hands down the most bestest bread I've ever had. Chewy, full of seeds and nuts and good stuff and just overall wondeful.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love the fresh baked bread from Whole Foods. They also carry local bakery breads as well. I am finding that I don't enjoy the processed bread companies as much as fresher bakery breads.

I have also been trying to learn to bake my own bread too. You can control the ingredients so much better that way. It's a learning process, but it can be fun. There are no-knead recipes, and I just made a whole grain version.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above and now only eat sprouted grain bread! It tastes sooooooo good and is so satisfying especially toasted. I have tried cinnamon raisin and sourdough. I don't like "diet" breads either, they are gross and all fake. The sprouted grain bread is so good for you, your body uses all of it!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I eat the Food for Life brand Ezekiel bread. It is a sprouted whole grain bread made from organic grains. It is also low glycemic and is a complete protein. It is 80 cals per slice and has three grams of fiber. You can find the bread in the freezer section of most stores. I also store it in my freezer.

Now, I must note that I try to be vegan and eat a somewhat raw diet and this may be too many whole grains at once!! I love mashing up 1/2 an avocado and adding tomato for an open face sandwich at lunch.

Good luck with your bread search!

Kristine

I also eat the Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 bread, the Low Sodium variety. It's good, the taste just takes a little getting used to. I also keep it in the freezer and prefer it toasted, rather than untoasted. It gets a great crunch around the outside, but isn't hard as a rock. I like it in the morning with a touch of Land 'O Lakes Light Butter and maybe some scrambled egg whites. I find that it's much more filling than a regular piece of bread and I rarely find myself hungry for more than one slice. They also make "hamburger buns" that are really good with a veggie patty and some sauteed spinach.

I am not vegan, or even vegetarian and I have no problem with it.
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    I agree.....Dave's killer bread is the best....it is dense and yummy with various seeds (flax, sunflower, poppy, sesame) and makes DELICIOUS toast with organic pnut butter. That being said, it is spendy, both with the pocketbook and calories at about 120 cal/slice. BUT, there is 5 g of Fiber and 5 or 6 g of Protein, at least in the green onw (21 whole grains).
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I like the Sara Lee 45 Calories/Slice Bread! I really don't taste a huge difference. I also like the regular Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat bread.