So much effort and my body fat reading has gone up?

Options
Not quite sure what is happening but been on MFP for 2 weeks now. MFP set me up on 1200 calories a day but I've been having more than that most days but it is always way below 2000 (2000 is what I was eating before joining MFP).

In the last 3 weeks with MFP I've lost 4lbs and then today (Friday is my weigh in day) I get on the scales and my body fat reading has gone up slightly. But get this: In the last 4 days I have walked 12 miles and swum 2 miles (128 lengths of 25 metre pool!). Let me just say here that I don't generally do much exercise, maybe 5 miles walking a week but thought I would go for it this week!. So I was shocked to see that after 12 miles walking and 2 miles of swimming in the last 4 days that my weight, BMI and body fat reading are all up slightly.

I would really appreciate some advice on why this is happening.I feel like throwing the towel in (to the pool lol!) but I really do want to lose weight/get fit. By the way, I'm 5ft 4" and weight 146lbs.

Many thanks :)

Replies

• IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you eating too much (although 2000 is not very high at al) and what you are eating is not the correct balance?
    Did you check out your TDEE and BMR?

I personally have an old dial scale so don't know about my fat %. I'm happy that I've lost weight and I feel healthier. Don't throw in the towel, you'll regret it longterm.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Dont throw the towel, throw the scales! The ones that give you a BF reading are guesstimates at best, they can make you 'fatter' if you are dehydrated. You can get a set of body fat calipers for £2.99 on amazon :flowerforyou:
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Scales are not all that accurate when it comes to body fat %. I dont even look at what mine says anymore, its just one more number to worry about. Check your weight on the scale once a week or so (which can still fluctuate based on sodium intake the day before, water retention, TOM, muscle gain. But best way to tell what you're doing is working is through inches lost and the way your clothes fit.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Dont throw the towel, throw the scales! The ones that give you a BF reading are guesstimates at best, they can make you 'fatter' if you are dehydrated. You can get a set of body fat calipers for £2.99 on amazon :flowerforyou:

Awesome! Ive had a gift card sitting on my amazon for so long, earlier today I was looking at all the cheaper fitness and health stuff to spend it on (cuz I only have like 15$ left). Thats a perfect suggestion for me.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The gym i do my pt in they bought new scales the were expensive £700 my other mate who i train with just competed in the nabba worlds he was water tested at 3.9%bf but recken hes about 6% now as it been pigging out abit. the scale said one day he was 24% and the next day 19% the scales dont take alot of things into account like muscle mass.

NEVER USE SCALES TO TO MEASURE BF EVEN CALIPERS CAN BE UPTO 8%OUT

Mirror is best always
  • Whammers2902
    Options
    Yeah you are all right. The scales arent always spot on and the mirror is the key! Im feeling better and looking better so I guess that is good enough for me. I'm still going for it on the exercise front, it can't be doing me any harm. Thanks for feedback guys, appreciated it :)