TMI, sorry! Female question?

Options
Ok so I was on the Depo Provera shot, for as long as I can remember. I stopped taking it a few months back and am not on anything so I don't gain any BC weight. I barely had a period for years. Occasionally I would have a one day light cycle, but that is it. For two days now, I am going through super absorbant tampons every TWO hours. It is heavy and BAD. Is this normal? I am also losing weight (about 3 pounds) and I heard it's normal to GAIN during your TOM. Am I losing so much blood that I am losing weight? I am a little worried! No health insurance either. Thanks!

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Honestly, the best advise would be to at least call your doctor. However, I will say that while that is a heavy flow, it doesn't seem alarming. I've always heard not to be concerned unless you are completely soaking a think, heavy pad every 45 minutes. I also know some ladies gain and some loose during their TOM.
  • cmcinty1
    cmcinty1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you had a period since stopping the Depo shot? It sounds to me like your hormones are out of whack still from having the shot for years. It takes time for your body to regulate after stopping BC. I used to take it too, years ago and it made me extremely moody. If you are concerned, could you go see a doctor? I know you have no insurance, but isn't there anybody you can see to make sure all is okay? I live in Canada so I have no idea how it all works for you in the US without insurance.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor if you're going through tampons that quickly. And do it now, before they close for the day. Seriously, that isn't good.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    your body is changing now that you came off the shot. Fear not there. Any type of hormone change will affect your period. As far as the nature of the flow... I would wear feminine napkins because tampons weer a joke. Even wearing NIGHT TIME napkins, I would soak through and over a napkin in less than 2 hours. My doctor was not the least bit concerned. Now that I've lost all the weight, cycles are shorter, lighter, and have way fewer cramps. stick with the loss and see what changes in a couple more months after the bc is completely out of your system.
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Since you've not had a period in a while, it could just be heavier this time since theoretically the uterus has had more time to build up a lining (thus more is coming out)?

Maybe see if there's a planned parenthood somewhere nearby? I know they tend to be less expensive (really depends on the branch you go to), and they might have experience with something like that or at least be able to help you figure out what to do?
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor or a clinic if you are worried. If you start to feel weak and light headed see a doctor asap.

If you recently came off BC than your body is out of whack which explains the heavy flow.

All women don't gain when it's TOM. Some gain, some stay the same and some lose weight. I tend to lose weight. Most do tend togain but that's not something ot be alarmed about if you are losing.

Just ensure you are eating enough and ensure you eat things with iron in them. Women with heavy TOMs can become anemic.
  • ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    once i didnt get my period for a long time then one day i had it and it lasted about a month and for 2 weeks it was a heavy flow and it was so painful. i went to my doctor and all she said that it was the body getting rid of all the built up tissue. so no not really normal but it might not be harmful... i still would say see a doctor.
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That's actually normal for me, but I can't say for you. I always gain the week before and lose once I start. I also use one super+ every two hours for the first couple days.

And if you are just coming of depo (I did not see how long you were on it), your body has some major adjusting to do.
  • jacqui250
    Options
    I was on the depo for 6 months and when I came off I had really heavy periods when I went to the doc she told me it was my hormones adjusting. If I was you I would get it checked out just to be sure, take care x
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Why do people consistently ask questions on a public forum that is better suited for a doctor? I mean seriously.:noway:
  • hullchris
    hullchris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have not been on BC for a few years now because the last pill I was on casued major headaches. I started on BC as a teenager to control my period, for me normal was once every 3 months. Most was normal on the pill and after I went off the pill I went back to every three months which I was okay with....

Since August I've lost like 15 pounds or so ( I was on vacaion I've not weighed in yet) and every since I lost I've been back to a normal 28 day schedule however my flow has been very heavy. Very similar to what you've described. When I spoke with my doctor she said it's normal because of the weight change and basically because hormones haven't caught up to everything else yet. So take that for what its worth to you in your situation. That being said you should at least call your doctor just to ask questions (even talking to a PA) or call a free clinic in you area.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    in regards to simply managing a heavy period, i suggest the diva cup. you dont have to worry nearly so much about leakage/smell/waste.
  • zinfull
    zinfull Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a couple years. I was hungry ALL THE TIME. Some unusual hair growth as well. It turns out its a male hormone. As soon as I stopped the weight literly melted off. Warning Depo Prevara is linked to bone loss. Lucky me I now have ostopenia.
    With heavy bleading call your doctor ASAP
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Why do people consistently ask questions on a public forum that is better suited for a doctor? I mean seriously.:noway:

I don't know. Maybe you should call your doctor and ask.

To the OP. I wouldn't worry too much. The same thing happened to me when I got off the Depo shot. That was years ago, but from what I can remember, I was told not to worry unless I was soaking one pad/tampon per hour or if I was having big clots. And it took me AWHILE for my body to get back to normal. I'd say a good couple of months. The Depo is horrible. Ugh.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    First and foremost I always suggest at least calling the Dr. office for questions like this.

Now as far as my opinion...I have been on the shot for about 9 years. keep in mind the shot tends to be more potent than the pill which is why you don't take it as often and it often keeps women from having their periods. Just last month I couldn't afford my refill (gotta love catholic insurance that doesn't cover BC :-/) and went off of it for 3 weeks. Just in those few weeks I had the WORST pms and cramps I have EVER experienced. I even told someone (jokingly of course) that I think I know what it's like for people in rehab only instead of coming off of narcotics I was coming off hormones.

That being said I would say you are probably ok, but you may need to take estrogen or something to help you out. My doc had me take some because I had some break through bleeding and it's basically because the shot is all progestren and sometimes with the hormone levels you need the estrogen boost to get back to normal again.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The planned parenthood in your area should see you at no cost the first time. They'll try to get you on a women's program to pay for the first visit but won't charge you anything til way later, if at all. I'd go see them if I were you, just in case. I got a year's supply of free birth control plus my gyno visit including pap and mammogram for free to me (charged women's health program). Couple years ago I got the same thing, and they didn't charge me a penny either time. Not sure though, don't work there or anything. But call & find out.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    in regards to simply managing a heavy period, i suggest the diva cup. you dont have to worry nearly so much about leakage/smell/waste.

Oh, and this. The diva cup is wonderful. It has lines on the inside of the cup to measure your flow, lol. Some may find that useful, I thought it was cool.
  • ForTheSmile
    ForTheSmile Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and when I haven't had my period in a few months, it tends to barge in like invading Huns when it does finally arrive. :noway: Super plus tampon every 2 hours? Been there, done that. I survived, and I think you will too. :wink:
  • almalaurathomas
    Options
    Thank you for your replies everyone! I really appreciate it. I do have a primary care doctor, but no insurance. I'm sorry I forgot to mention, I did call them! However, they didn't give me a very detailed answer over the phone and suggested I make an appointment with the doctor that costs $75 bucks I did not have off hand. I had also called a free hotline at the hospital that answers medical questions. However, it is always nice to get an opinion from other women who may have experienced the same thing, that is why I posted! I was never aware of the planned parenthood clinics and free checkups, etc. Thank you for that helpful information! I have also never heard of a diva cup, I will have to look into that!

These forums are a support system of people who are going through the same journey as you, who have similiar problems, as well as goals. Who better to ask?!
  • almalaurathomas
    Options

Of course I called the doctor, and they told me to make an appointment. I would rather ask on a forum first before wasting $75 for the doctor to tell me it's normal. :noway: