LOW CARB MACRO'S + FAT INTAKE :/

Options
13»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    This is true. It can similarly cause ketosis. I tried to lower my carbs while pregnant because a friend of mine did this and said it was okay and healthy, but my dr ended up telling me I was experiencing a release and increase of ketones in my system and ketosis. It depends, but for some people it doesn't work out.

you say "can cause ketosis" like that's a bad thing. It's not. It's not harmful in any way.
    It can be dangerous for some people and if extreme can lead to kidney failure. And No, I don't mean ketoacidosis, a similar issue related to diabetics. It would take an extreme amount, but even without something that extreme ketosis can cause unpleasant symptoms for some people.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Your body uses carbohydrates to produce glucose, a type of sugar that serves as your body's primary energy source. Your muscles also store it in the form of glycogen. Exercise physiologist Greg Landry notes that high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets deplete your muscle's stores, leading to muscle loss. This loss of muscle usually accounts for the rapid weight loss that usually occurs in the beginning stages of these diets. Additionally, this process also leads to dehydration, the other big factor in reducing the number on the scale, particularly early on.

Inadequate glycogen increases muscle fatigue, making it more difficult to exercise. It can also lead to difficulty maintaining muscle tone.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/290839-high-protein-low-carb-diet-problems/#ixzz2CPHNHn8A

You really would be better off, healthier in the long run, if you ate a more balanced diet. Who wants to lose 20 lbs if 19 of it is muscle mass?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Your body uses carbohydrates to produce glucose, a type of sugar that serves as your body's primary energy source. Your muscles also store it in the form of glycogen. Exercise physiologist Greg Landry notes that high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets deplete your muscle's stores, leading to muscle loss. This loss of muscle usually accounts for the rapid weight loss that usually occurs in the beginning stages of these diets. Additionally, this process also leads to dehydration, the other big factor in reducing the number on the scale, particularly early on.

Inadequate glycogen increases muscle fatigue, making it more difficult to exercise. It can also lead to difficulty maintaining muscle tone.

Which is why High Fat, Mod Protein, and Low Carb diets generally follow these macros: 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carb. Your body can also run on fat. It's not a one trick pony.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Eating 100g of carbs a day is much different than eating 20g.

I know and have seen several people who've had success eating at such low carbs... but you need to take into account long term effects on your body.
    People are capable of adapting to and thriving on a very low carb diets. The Inuits did it and diabetics and people with seizures were treated with ketogenic diets for their entire lives -- if you want to look at the "goddamned science" those would be good places to start.

Maybe you could try... understanding science? I mean, you're seriously pointing out people that are not physically able to follow normal diets as signs of "adaptation"?

Inuits took several generations of people (think: thousands, if not hundreds of thousands years) to adapt.

The human body's a great thing, but because ONE or a handful of human bodies you "happen to know on forums" have one thing, does not refute more science.

Sigh.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if you're very concerned about saturated fat, don't be. its trans fat that are bad.

that said, a low carb diet doesn't necessarily have to be a very high fat diet, or a high in "bad" fat diet.

i live low carb (40-90 net a day depending on the day, but usually about 50 a day) and i get most my fat calories from nuts, fish, avocado, olive oil, and the rest of it is from the so-called "bad" sources such as cheese, eggs and red meat. i average about 60g of fat a day, which is actually the standard recommended daily allowance for fat intake for a normal adult diet anyway!

i am currently eating 1200-1500 calories a day.
  • cthon98
    Options
    You really would be better off, healthier in the long run, if you ate a more balanced diet. Who wants to lose 20 lbs if 19 of it is muscle mass?

Lost 33 pounds, actually gained muscle in the process. What now?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Eating 100g of carbs a day is much different than eating 20g.

I know and have seen several people who've had success eating at such low carbs... but you need to take into account long term effects on your body.
    People are capable of adapting to and thriving on a very low carb diets. The Inuits did it and diabetics and people with seizures were treated with ketogenic diets for their entire lives -- if you want to look at the "goddamned science" those would be good places to start.

Maybe you could try... understanding science? I mean, you're seriously pointing out people that are not physically able to follow normal diets as signs of "adaptation"?

Inuits took several generations of people (think: thousands, if not hundreds of thousands years) to adapt.

The human body's a great thing, but because ONE or a handful of human bodies you "happen to know on forums" have one thing, does not refute more science.

Sigh.
    I'm sorry but you're just wrong. Humans are amazingly adaptable and can thrive both in the absence of carbs and with a diet that contains up to 90% carbs in a matter of weeks -- not hudreds of thousands of years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilhjalmur_Stefansson
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rodhands
    Options
    A good example is I know someone who is addicted to drugs, pills. He eventually took high dosages because he "adapted." You know what happens now when he doesn't take them? He hears voices, and has some degree of psychosis because he has "adapted" to these drugs.

If someone has adapted to a specific environment/food/drug/whatever. Put them back in to a standard environment. They won't do well.

That is a ridiculous, and frankly DISGUSTING equivalency and you should be ashmed of yourself for referencing drug addicts to carb-lite people.

I am perfectly content on my ultra-low carb diet and have suffered no side effects bar the initial period of adaptation. As it happens I have more energy and vibrancy in my life now than I ever did when I was eating "standard". What you seem unable to grasp is that the way you lost weight isnt the way everyone should, weight loss is NOT a one size fits all process.

I have read your views in other threads and have been continually frustrated by your utter lack of willingness to see other points of view so I wont be continuing this debate with you, I just thoughtn you needed to know how disgusting that statement was.

TO the OP

I eat 5%/35%/60% carbs/fats/proteins for someone of my weight (101kg) that means ~20g/115g/118g each day as I am aiming for a calorific intake of 1570 a day before exercise.

these are the harsh outer limits of Keto mind so you dont NEED to go this low, a low carb diet is realistically anything under 50g a day, I know many people that have eaten at 10% or even 15% carbs on a low carb diet and done fine. of you are going to go upto 15% then try 15%/30%/55%.

Note if you are just starting expect your body to reject the change initially, you are teaching your body to accept different energy sources and like anything it is not going to be happy moving from the norm. However 2 weeks on from that things will get better, if they dont then maybe Keto isn't for you, if thats the case I recommend looking at another diet that may fit your needs better