I'm interested in trying out Martial Arts - any info?

Options
Does anyone have any information to share?

When I was a kid my brother did Seikeido(sp?) and I used to love going to watch the tournaments. My Dad is a bit old school so never offered to let me take the classes as it was a "boy thing".

I think it is something I would like. I've been looking at some karate classes, someone else recommended Capoeira. I thought I'd hit up the MFP boards to hear from anyone who has some experience in the martial arts.

Sidenote: I'm into the fitness, art, and ability to defend myself. I'd prefer not to get hurt on a regular basis, I'm not sure how that works with different types.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I did aikido as a kid and loved it. I have been thinking of looking back into it. I say go for it. See what is offered around you. A lot of places offer one class free or a discounted first few classes. Try a few styles out until you can find an instructor and style you enjoy.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ^solid advice trying out few free classes to see if you like the teacher/art/class-mates.

There'll be a few bumps and bruises especially as a beginner! As your skill level (and that of your opponents/class-mates) rises, there tends to be a greater sense of control (both over your body and your emotions) and training accidents tend to lessen. You can't really do a martial art without hitting/being hit though - it's kind of part of it!

It's a mindset though..... you'll either find you have it or you don't...
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I did karate for five years as a teenager. It was great. Find an instructor that motivates you. I did a class which had ages 6 through adult at all levels and then once I reached a certain grade I got additional 'senior' classes which were all higher belts.

I would say - don't be put off by a class with a lot of kids. Their energy is catching and a good instructor should have no problem keeping order.

My group was fab, really supportive and a really great work out. I'm dying to go back but I'm in a different area now so it wouldn't be the same group.

Oh and I rarely got hurt, beyond sore muscles from a hard workout. You will get the odd stray punch but with karate at least a lot of what they teach is control so you don't hurt each other when sparring.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I got up to my purple belt in japanese jiu jitsu before I quit for long distance running (it was giving me vertigo from all the rolls). There are a ton of great martial arts out there, (my dad is a tae kwon do instructor and the patterns are phenomenal) all you can really do is try one out (hopefully one that doesn't want you to buy a gi upfront) for a couple days and see how you like it. At the very least most dojos will allow you to sit and watch a class so you get an idea about the discipline.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    What's your priority? Do you want to be able to beat people up, move like a dancer, or get more fit?
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    What's your priority? Do you want to be able to beat people up, move like a dancer, or get more fit?

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the responses.

My interests/priorities are fitness, being able to protect myself, and I like the discipline/mindset...I'm not sure of the word for it, of many martial arts.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I would ask this same question. You said in your original post you wanted all 3, but you typically cant do all 3.

For self-defense I highly recommend Krav Maga...I dont think there is ANYTHING better then Krav for practical street defense...I'm sure people will argue this, but in my opinion it is the best.

For Art you could take alot of the styles which are more "competition" based and rely on style and art rather then practical defense

For Fitness you just need something aggressive, I would recommend either plain boxing or once again Krav Maga for this one.

**EDIT: And just to add, you will get bruised in each one...I mean, this is fighting you are learning...you cant expect to fight and not get bruised.....A good rule to remember when you train fighting is, There is always someone better then you. I am reminded of this frequently when I train.

- I have been doing Krav Maga for a little over 4 years now
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For self defence I'd well recommend 'Krav Maga'.
    It's purely designed as an effective form of self defence, rather than an 'art form'.
    Also made so it's easy to learn the basics.

However, certainly less, or at least a rather different 'art form' to something like Capoeira which can be very beautiful (as opposed to practicing repeatedly kneeing something in the crotch until they are "no longer a threat" :) ).
    But the art is going to be, like any art, the one you like the look of.

As far as fitness goes - most will involve a good bit of activity.
    Something like boxing/kick boxing is generally best for fitness though and won't be too bad in a real world situation, though I'd still take Krav over boxing any day for 'real world'.
  • ephraimgatsby
    Options
    I would echo what others have said, try out different classes and instructors until you find the right fit. Also, when we think of martial arts we think Asian but there is a long tradition of western martial arts as well. You might want to explore that as well.

I studied iaido for a time while in high school but had to drop it due to logistics. I have been thinking I might reacquaint myself and see if I would like to continue to study.
  • AddieOverhaul
    Options

**EDIT: And just to add, you will get bruised in each one...I mean, this is fighting you are learning...you cant expect to fight and not get bruised.....A good rule to remember when you train fighting is, There is always someone better then you. I am reminded of this frequently when I train.

- I have been doing Krav Maga for a little over 4 years now

Ha ha, I don't mind a few bruises, I just don't want to be in major pain or incapacitated on a regular basis! Thanks for all the recommendations!
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hello Addie, There is a Martial arts group on here. You should join and ask any questions you may have it's a wide array of arts and styles in this group. Good luck on your journey..

I've done Krav Maga and I really enjoyed it. It's a nice self-defense system and you will certainly get in shape because that's a large part of the training program is fighting under stressful conditions. So, conditioning is a huge focal point. It's easy to learn and covers all the basics of self defense. Just check out the school to make sure it's a good fit for you.
  • JBuck1914
    Options
    The group is called Martial Arts and Sports fighting.
  • JBuck1914
    Options
    I got up to my purple belt in japanese jiu jitsu before I quit for long distance running (it was giving me vertigo from all the rolls). There are a ton of great martial arts out there, (my dad is a tae kwon do instructor and the patterns are phenomenal) all you can really do is try one out (hopefully one that doesn't want you to buy a gi upfront) for a couple days and see how you like it. At the very least most dojos will allow you to sit and watch a class so you get an idea about the discipline.

Great advice by this person ^^^^^^ I've tried different styles over the years and it's all about what's a good fit for you...It's not the style as much as it is the person using the style..
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Martial arts is a great fitness activity because there are a lot of things to choose from and it's something you can do your entire life. Personally, I have a blackbelt in traditional Japanese karate and a 6-0 amateur kickboxing (Muay Thai) record. Currently, I teach fitness kickboxing--total of almost 20 years experience. I'd suggest you go watch some classes and find a place where you think you'd feel at home--if you think you'll be pursuing a black belt, you'll be there for a long time :) I'm personally fond of Shotokan forms, but I'm sure it's just what I'm used to. The other thing to check out before you sign up is the school's competition record, better business bureau complaints, and how long they've been around (it would be a shame to pay for a 2 year contract and the school go under two months later). If you happen to be in the southeastern US, message me. I know a lot of schools in the region and would be happy to put my two cents in.
  • AddieOverhaul
    Options
    Martial arts is a great fitness activity because there are a lot of things to choose from and it's something you can do your entire life. Personally, I have a blackbelt in traditional Japanese karate and a 6-0 amateur kickboxing (Muay Thai) record. Currently, I teach fitness kickboxing--total of almost 20 years experience. I'd suggest you go watch some classes and find a place where you think you'd feel at home--if you think you'll be pursuing a black belt, you'll be there for a long time :) I'm personally fond of Shotokan forms, but I'm sure it's just what I'm used to. The other thing to check out before you sign up is the school's competition record, better business bureau complaints, and how long they've been around (it would be a shame to pay for a 2 year contract and the school go under two months later). If you happen to be in the southeastern US, message me. I know a lot of schools in the region and would be happy to put my two cents in.

Thanks for the tips. I'm in Canada so you probably can't help with that!
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    I've done Taekwondo for four years and I love it. The best advice is to get to know the studios in your area and pick one based off of the style of instruction as well as what is being taught. Even within the same discipline there is a lot of variation that's entirely dependent on who is teaching and who they learned from.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i vote capoeira! it's so fun, you get to learn portuguese. another brazilians are so much fun. plus you get a cool new name and will elarn how to play an instrument and sing songs

the only downside is the uniform. it's hard keeping white stuff white