Eating all your Calories

Options
I'm finding that most days I'm having a really tough time reaching my calorie goal, or even reaching 1000 calories! I'll go a whole day running on 300 or 400 calories, and then at the end of the day binge a bunch of food down to try and reach 1000. Nooot good food either. Ideas?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pack snacks to be prepared. There are plenty of things you can make snack bags of like dry cereal, nuts/nut mix, dried fruit...or even mix the 3 and add a few dark chocolate chips for a trail mix type snack. Have one or two fresh fruits every day and maybe a protein and/or snack bar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Start bringing high calorie snacks (protein bars, protein shakes, veggies with peanut butter). Also start eating higher calorie foods; nuts, avocado, cooking meet in EVOO or eating peanut butter out of the jar. Or get a high calorie protein shake like muscle milk or even a "Weight gainer". Also, based on your ticker, you should probably be aiming for 1/2 - 1 lb per week. And if you exercise you need to eat more too.
  • sonshine9211
    Options
    What I have learned is to prepack/precook my meals on the weekends. I do a program called Favao which has taught me how to eat 5-6 times a day without going hungry, including exercising. This is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.
    I don't go hungry, I don't binge, I eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

My question for you: do you begin your day with breakfast?? If you don't your body thinks you are going to starve it and then begins the starvation mode. At night when you eat all your calories you don't burn them.

What kind of food do you actually eat?

Hope this helps.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I intentionally eat most of my intake towards the end of the day, and that in itself is not a problem. Bingeing, or feeling like you have to force food down, obviously is. Sometimes all it takes is a little more planning, to make sure you get more food earlier on in the day, and then you don't have to worry about it later on.

Also, if you feel like you're stuffing yourself, try to focus on more calorie-dense foods like nuts, nut butters, nut milks, seeds, cheese, eggs, oils added to cooking, full-fat dairy, smoothies, protein shakes etc. Often, when people are struggling to eat enough, it's because they've cut out all calorie-dense foods, thinking that they're "bad" foods, and only eat what they think of as "diet" food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What I have learned is to prepack/precook my meals on the weekends. I do a program called Favao which has taught me how to eat 5-6 times a day without going hungry, including exercising. This is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.
    I don't go hungry, I don't binge, I eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

My question for you: do you begin your day with breakfast?? If you don't your body thinks you are going to starve it and then begins the starvation mode. At night when you eat all your calories you don't burn them.

What kind of food do you actually eat?

Hope this helps.

This is false. You body will not starve if you skip breakfast. Nor will it prevent weight loss. It's all about calories. You can eat 10 meals or 1 meal, your body will metabolize the calories the same. It takes over 3 days of not eating to have metabolic adaptation.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • faireplay
    Options
    Why aren't you eating through out the day?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    peanut butter + spoon
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you know that you're going to get to the end of the night with a lot of calories left, start eating more during the daytime. Simple solution...
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Preplan your day.

You'll know what you will be eating and when.

The reason why you are binging is because you are not eating enough during the day. By the end of the day you are starving and eating whatever is in sight.

If you truly find it difficult to eat during the day, then make sure what you are eating at night is healthy.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't see how ANYONE can not reach 1200. I have a hard time not going over 1600. I plan my day and still I want more food. Eat people...it won't hurt you.
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    I'm really bad at getting breakfast in for sure! I don't normally find myself being hungry at all until probably 3pm or 4pm, when I finally snack on something. I don't binge at the end of the day because I'm starving, I eat a big dinner because I realise I haven't eaten through-out the day much!
    New goal: Pack lunches! Munch lots :3
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble even eating 1000 calories, sounds to me like you have an eating disorder.

To eat more, follow these steps...

1. Grab food. At this point, any should do.
    2. Place food in mouth.
    3. Begin chewing.
    4. Swallow.
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 as needed.

If you are unable to complete these steps, it may be reasonable to see a doctor and/or psychologist to discuss your impending, or perhaps fully arrived, anorexia.
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the very same problem. I try to keep food to snack on with me at all times and eat some here and there. I usually have roasted almonds and I always have a healthy protein bar on hand as well. I have almonds at home and in my car. I'll grab 5 at a time and if you that, with almonds or something you prefer, the calories do add up.

I hope this helps and good luck!
  • PHr34k0wt
    Options
    If you are having trouble even eating 1000 calories, sounds to me like you have an eating disorder.

2. Place food in mouth.
    3. Begin chewing.
    4. Swallow.

If you are unable to complete these steps, it may be reasonable to see a doctor and/or psychologist to discuss your impending, or perhaps fully arrived, anorexia.
    hahhahh. yeah.. okay..
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    peanut butter + spoon
    peanut butter + hand to scoop out peanut butter.*
  • PHr34k0wt
    Options
    peanut butter + spoon
    peanut butter + hand to scoop out peanut butter.*

Pure Brilliance. Totally keeping a jar of peanut butter with me at work.
  • Heather0123456789
    Options
    I honestly don't see how ANYONE can not reach 1200. I have a hard time not going over 1600. I plan my day and still I want more food. Eat people...it won't hurt you.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can always eat!!! I have to force myself not to go over! How did I get so unlucky???
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options

2. Place food in mouth.
    3. Begin chewing.
    4. Swallow.

No you do not have to have an ED be in your situation. I am in your exact situation. I am not one who thinks about food or craves it or overeats. But like you, I would go without (didn't feel like or think of it) until late afternoon and then I was hungry. In my case I just grabbed fast food and lots of candy and snacks. Now I still don't really crave foods (normally) but I make myself eat at regular times, plan what it will be for the day. I have trouble alot getting over a 1000 and if you count Net calories I barely make it 800. And then I start looking around for high calorie things to eat, not good either. No, your not alone and you do not have to have an ED to be like this.

But, like the others have told you that if you just plan ahead you might have a better chance to make it work.