My first 5K

So I am in training for my first 5K in February. I am doing good so far and have plenty of time to be ready. Any pointers from veterans for a newbie???

Replies

• falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Just realize that some days will suck and you will begin to doubt yourself. It happens to all of us, just push through the self doubt, you will be fine.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Just realize that some days will suck and you will begin to doubt yourself. It happens to all of us, just push through the self doubt, you will be fine.

Ditto. You'll have fun and that's all that matters. Listen to your body and take rest days. I did my first 5K in September and have done 2 more with another one coming up on Thanksgiving, I definitely got addicted after my first run!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Its natural to be nervous before a race, I have done more 5ks than I can count and I still get the nerve when the starter pistol is ready to go off. Just get in your zone and remember three things. First, don't wear anything new the day of the race! Second, crowds are crazy at races, and it's easy to get caught up in the momentum, but set YOUR pace, you'll be happier for it. Third, races are SO MUCH FUN!
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    Its natural to be nervous before a race, I have done more 5ks than I can count and I still get the nerve when the starter pistol is ready to go off. Just get in your zone and remember three things. First, don't wear anything new the day of the race! Second, crowds are crazy at races, and it's easy to get caught up in the momentum, but set YOUR pace, you'll be happier for it. Third, races are SO MUCH FUN!

I totally agree with everything you just said!

I try to talk myself outta the race every time....Its too early....it might rain.....etc..........but as soon as the pistol goes off I lose all self doubt. The crowd running with you will be so motivating. Everyone (almost) is so polite and encourages each other. I love it!!!!!!!! I am addicted to it!
    I haven't got to run much lately due to a knee injury a few months ago, but all it good now and I am doing my first race since March tomorrow. Girls on the Run 5K. I am super pumped. I know that I will not PR but I am just excited to be out there running with the crowd again!

Just remember you are a winner as long as you finish the race.....even IF you have to walk.

Good Luck! and have fun!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Thanks everyone! This is a major thing on my list of things I want to accomplish and this particular race goes to benefit a friend of mine's daughter who has stage 4 melanoma and her mother died last February from it. Just a major accomplishment if I don't chicken out.
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    It will will be major accomplishment! You won't chicken out. Let us know how it goes :)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Good luck!!! I have been meaning to schedule my first one too. I just got to where i can run 3.5 miles straight, so i have no excuses!!! Good luck!!
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Thanks everyone! This is a major thing on my list of things I want to accomplish and this particular race goes to benefit a friend of mine's daughter who has stage 4 melanoma and her mother died last February from it. Just a major accomplishment if I don't chicken out.

That is so awesome! I'm sure you will do great and just remember that it's not the end of the world if you don't run the whole thing. Plenty of people take breaks during the 5k so run at your own pace and just have a blast. :)
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Ditto to what everyone said, and good luck!!!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    I've only ran one 5k so far and the advice I can give for specifically race day is; don't psych yourself out. It's just a different route and you've got it down.

I am preparing for my next 5k in December and I've started to incorporate interval training 2-3 times a week. This is going to help me improve my speed so it's what I'm really focusing on this time around.

Be sure to drink plenty of water and go to the bathroom before the race starts, don't eat too soon before the race, but try to give your body some energy. Wear something comfortable that you are used to running in. Don't use a new pair of shoes on the race day, make sure you use your regular, broken in running shoes.

Most of all, have fun! It's such an awesome experience!