Lose my belly fat and neck, college student, diet?

Options
So I was pretty good at working out over the summer, I went from hovering around 195 pounds at the beginning of June to hovering between 175-180 pounds, pretty happy with my results scale wise. Would still like to improve my body, though, which is all that really matters when you think about it.
My neck still looks kind of fat (not that bad though) but my main concern is my belly. I lost some of my love handles, but I still have a decent sized gut, not close to having a flat stomach (let alone abs).

My friends tell me I need to do more weight training but our schedules are so different it is hard to workout with them sometimes. Over the summer, I did a lot of cardio and did part of the Insanity workout (didn’t really do much of month two, but I’m still fairly happy with my results).

I’m still biased towards cardio, I enjoy seeing the progress I make running, how much better my endurance is. Trying to do more core exercises as well, but I know you can’t really spot target fat.

I try to workout 3 times a week, usually doing about half weights and half cardio (running mostly)

Diet…I’m ok for a college kid. Eat pretty healthy during the week, try to stick to chicken or turkey, fruits, yogurt. Weekend…ugh those liquid calories.

Should I try to cut back on carbs? I heard high protein-low carb is good for cutting stomach fat. I think what I really need to do is go hardcore healthy during the week and then try to limit my liquid on the weekends.

Any tips? Thanks

Replies

• exWHYzee1337
    Options
    eat clean and train dirty. You should count your calories to know how much your intaking. A lot of times we think we dont eat much and eat "healthy" when in reality we're not eating well at all.

and the weekends will kill you, depending on how hard you party. Not the drinkin on its own.... but the late night eats afterwards.

Good luck!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    you are about to turn into a dull college student... eat clean and no drinking
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Weight training is what tones and blasts body fat. Eventually you will enjoy it more.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    My friends tell me I need to do more weight training but our schedules are so different it is hard to workout with them sometimes.

My tip is get over the fact that you want to work out with your friends. Your friends are right, you need to be strength training.
  • Soxiez
    Soxiez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Drinking wise, I'm the same.. my friends absolutely love a night out, and I do too. I hate to feel like the boring one, but the weight comes off so much easier when i abstain from wine, boo!
  • AddisonandClark
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys.

Honestly, I'd actually prefer to work out on my own, I can tend to do things a lot quicker without having to wait. But it is nice to have someone that somewhat knows what they are doing.

I guess I will scale back on the cardio and ramp up some weight training.

Eh, I hate being the boring college kid, but if it is the best way to get results, ugh. I have break coming up starting like December 10. I can probably hold off drinking for that month, and maybe limit drinking to one night a week once I'm back in school in January, and still cut back from there. I'm finally developing somewhat of a discipline when it comes to food, but that will be tested over Thanksgiving break and Christmas break with all of the holiday food.

Thanks!!!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    eat clean and train dirty.

I love it!!!
  • Soxiez
    Soxiez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eh, I hate being the boring college kid, but if it is the best way to get results, ugh. I have break coming up starting like December 10. I can probably hold off drinking for that month, and maybe limit drinking to one night a week once I'm back in school in January, and still cut back from there. I'm finally developing somewhat of a discipline when it comes to food, but that will be tested over Thanksgiving break and Christmas break with all of the holiday food.

Sounds like you have it all under control :) I'm exactly the same.. only allow myself to drink once a weekish cause it's just not worth the calories I have to sacrifice haha. Will all be worth it in the end! Good luck!
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys.

Honestly, I'd actually prefer to work out on my own, I can tend to do things a lot quicker without having to wait. But it is nice to have someone that somewhat knows what they are doing.

If your school is anything like mine, there are a ton of bros by the weights lmao. I'm sure someone is willing to help (maybe not spot, but give a quick run-down).