food tastes different

Options
Since changing my eating habits I have started to notice that canned things (especially canned green beans and tuna fish) have a very "tinny" or metalic taste to me now -- I cant even stand to eat them anymore. Also, I have lived on chicken for the past few years - really the only "meat" that my husband I have eaten is boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts....but lately - when I try to eat them they taste very "gamey" and it has turned me off ...
any ideas as to why?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You could just be getting tired of it... try to switch things up. Eat frozen veggies & buy tuna in the pouch (may be a little more expensive but you shouldn't have the metallic taste) ... buy a different brand of chicken or lay off chicken for a week and then go back to it and see if that helps.
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    After years of indulging in fatty, high sugar and salt foods, your palate and taste buds have been trained that these tastes are good and non-fat foods are bad. As you eat better, you retrain your taste buds and many people who retrain their taste buds find that if they cheat with one of their old favorites, it tastes pretty awful. bottom line...by eating healthier and probably more clean, your taste buds follow suit, they are in fact stronger and can "taste" more...
  • wsucheergirl
    Options
    Although I'm no expert, I would agree that your body adjusts over time to your new habits. I know that if I eat something greasy now, after eating much much better for only a few weeks, my stomach will be upset.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with jmarie9, but its not your taste buds that are trained, its your brain. You're interpreting the taste, texture and the biochemical reaction the food causes in your body differently than you used to. Your body has become more attuned to itself.

Think of an old bomb car (maybe the first car you ever had). You treat it badly and no real difference right? Oil's low? Doesn't really matter. Compare that to a high performance vehicle like a formula 1 racing car. The slightest wear on one tire, a tiny imbalance in the steering - its gonna scream at you!

You're turning your body into the high performance vehicle. You're learning to listen to it. And its getting fussier. If you start treating it like **** again it isn't going to like you.
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    I pretty much agree with jmarie9, but its not your taste buds that are trained, its your brain. You're interpreting the taste, texture and the biochemical reaction the food causes in your body differently than you used to. Your body has become more attuned to itself.

Think of an old bomb car (maybe the first car you ever had). You treat it badly and no real difference right? Oil's low? Doesn't really matter. Compare that to a high performance vehicle like a formula 1 racing car. The slightest wear on one tire, a tiny imbalance in the steering - its gonna scream at you!

You're turning your body into the high performance vehicle. You're learning to listen to it. And its getting fussier. If you start treating it like **** again it isn't going to like you.

i like your car analogy :D
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Try M&M's. Hah. That's a HUGE joke.

Regarding tastebuds - they fall off and regrow approximately every 7 years (much like skin). All the stuff you couldn't stand as a kid but suddenly find you really enjoy as an adult... well, that's why. Pregnancy also causes similar changes, although I don't know if its by the same process. I also don't know if they take the entire 7 years (one here and there like teeth?) or if it's over the course of the 7th year, etc. I don't pay attention to the time lines, to be honest - but I know when one of mine is dying. They get kind of swollen and sore and then a few days later, it's gone. I don't know if everyone experiences that.

So, that's one possibility. I also agree with the retraining your brain analysis. You are getting the nutrients your body NATURALLY craves and needs and anything outside of the that range tastes exactly as foreign and toxic as it is. It is NOT natural for fish to come in a can or for chicken to be pre-frozen, no matter what they claim about how "natural" it is. If you didn't grow it..... Is there a butcher or farmers market near you? Or even an asian store. If so, I'd suggest getting whole tuna and packaging it yourself and freezing it in portions and doing the same with the chicken.

Oh yay.. I am so looking forward to this experience. NOT. Organic is so expensive. I swear, I'd raise my own if I could stomach the end result.