1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. meat tenderizer
1/2 tsp. paprika
4 generous dashes of frank's hot sauce
3 eggs
1 package Saltine Crackers, crushed
deli deluxe American cheese slices
toast or hamburger buns
Mix together well everything but cheese slices and bread. Patty up hamburgers to your liking and fry with lid on pan. Reduce heat when hamburgers are done and add cheese slices on top of hamburgers.
Replace lid until cheese is well melted. Drain on paper towel and serve on toast or buns.

what would best to make this recipe healthy? its a good recipe and I like it but want to make it healthy

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions.

Seriously, there's no such thing as "healthy" and "unhealthy". If it fits within your calorie goals, meets your macros, and you're getting enough vitamins in the day, you're fine.

Wanna eat **** like this? Have a salad for one of your other meals.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What kinda burger you using?
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's not unhealthy... perhaps you mean lower calorie? You could always trade out the hamburger for ground turkey or chicken, maybe leave out the saltines? Oh and broil them in the oven instead of frying. That'll cut out the extra grease and fry oil.
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    OMG GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!
  • BrotherJosephBlake2013
    Options
    i just need that much I was making it for like 4-6 people. and I was using ground chuck the normal burger stuff.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd use a lean meat, 90/10 or so. I saute a bunch of diced onions until they are caramellized, saute some diced mushrooms, let both cool off very well before adding it to the meat. It adds moisture to the drier, leaner meat and adds bulk, thus giving you more for fewer calories and being slightly cheaper than just using all meat.

Sounds yummy. :)
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    3 lbs hamburger
    1/2 c. ketchup
    1/4 c. mustard
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. meat tenderizer
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    4 generous dashes of frank's hot sauce
    3 eggs
    toast or hamburger buns
    Mix together well everything but cheese slices and bread. Patty up hamburgers to your liking and fry with lid on pan. Reduce heat when hamburgers are done and add cheese slices on top of hamburgers.
    Replace lid until cheese is well melted. Drain on paper towel and serve on toast or buns.

what would best to make this recipe healthy? its a good recipe and I like it but want to make it healthy

3 lbs hamburger
    3lbs of lean ground turkey
    1/2 c. ketchup
    1/4 cup of tomato paste with 1 tlb of Honey

1/4 c. mustard
    1tsp of mustard powder

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    ???? no Idea what this is 1/2 tsp. meat tenderizer
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    ---- 4 generous dashes of frank's hot sauce
    1 Tbls of Cayenne pepper

3 eggs
    crushed nuts

Greek Yogurt

toast or hamburger buns
    MINI Whole wheat buns. NOT LARGE BUNS .. keep portion small

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Some easy swaps would be egg beaters for the eggs, a splash of milk, plain breadcrumbs or oatmeal for the saltines (you're already adding salt plus ketchup has salt), broil or grill instead of fry, make them smaller, and maybe use less cheese on each piece.
  • spencer7593
    Options

1. use lean beef. The healthiest choice (in terms of nutrients, such as CLA) is grass fed beef. Barring that, the next best choice is ground round. At a minimum, you want "ground chuck". Avoid anything labeled "hamburger". The USDA regulations allow meat labeled as "hamburger" to contain fat from other cuts, which means it can contain upwards of 30% fat. (yikes!) The lower fat content in the ground round means the burgers will shrink less during cooking.) As another option, you might also consider using 2/3 beef, and 1/3 lean ground turkey, or even just ground turkey in place of the beef.

2. in place of the saltine crackers, use 100% whole wheat bread crumbs. (The saltines, or bread crumbs, should contain NO artificial ingredients, NO high fructose corn syrup, NO hydrogenated oil. At least consider adding a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ, for the nutrients missing from the bleached white flour commonly used in saltines. Consider reduced sodium saltines, to reduce the sodium content of the recipe.

3. consider using "reduced fat" cheese, made from 2% milk rather than whole milk.

4. use 100% whole wheat buns, again, containing NO high fructose corn syrup, and NO hydrogenated fat. or, skip the buns altogether.

5. although it's a small part of the recipe, the ketchup should be 100% natural, with NO high fructose corn syrup, and reduced sodium is a plus as well.

6. cut down the portion size

7. as a side dish, serve vegetables: raw sliced carrots, raw sliced red bell pepper, steamed fresh broccoli, sauteed asparagus, cauliflower broiled with light olive oil. Balance out the meat and bread with some brightly-colored antioxidant veggies.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You can even use instant oats in place of the saltines (not sure if it's 'healthier' - but definitely lower sodium).