no weight training, cardio only?

Options
I recently had reconstructive shoulder surgery, and my doctor said I should avoid even basic strength training with 5-10 lb weights. I'm kind of bummed, since he said it should be another 6 months until I can start up again with my normal weight routine, and until then do the lowest impact that I possibly can.
Since I'm still trying to lose weight, I've been doing abdominal workouts 3-4 days a week and the Precor AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer) 5-6 days a week for an hour, raising the resistance level up 1 when I feel like I'm moving too easily on the machine. When I started, I had the resistance at 10, and now I'm at 14, probably going up to 15 in a day or two. My doctor said that I can keep my hands on the poles, as that back and forth motion helps with my recovery.
Will this help with my weight loss at all? I've lost 20 pounds so far, then the last month I hit a plateau. I don't want this plateau to last any longer, but almost everything I've read has emphasized weight training! If I hadn't had surgery, I would have upped my weights by another 5 pounds or so, but now I'm farther back than when I started (2 lb dumbells! Only twice a week! Gah!) I really want to finally be done with this plateau and continue my weight loss, but now I just don't know what to do. Is my cardio/ab workout routine okay or will I stay stuck like I already am? Or is there anything else I could be doing? I don't want to cut back on anymore calories or I'd be waaaayy under what I need for 20 years old, 5'7" and 150 lbs.
So, any ideas or help?

Replies

• Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know everyone seems to think that you absolutely MUST do strength training to lose it all.
    But I didn't do it. And I lost it all. So don't worry. Most important part is the food anyway :-)
    I only did and still do cardio, 3-4 times per week. Sessions between 45-60 minutes these last couple of months.
    Good luck, and good recovery.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If your body is healing, the best advice I can give is to be patient. The healing process takes a lot of energy both mentally and calorically, and also naturally uses inflammation in a healthy way - your body reacts with inflammation for a reason sometimes, and it can be a huge part of the healing process. Keep up lots of water and focus on eating healthy, whole foods (whole grains, unprocessed meats, less sugar and less processed foods, more veggies and fruits), and focus on healing and general health. Your body will thank you! Weight will come off later once your body is more healed!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think listening to your doctor for recovery from your surgery is your best bet right now. Keep on with your diet and your cardio. You will continue to drop weight.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I think it's ideal to do both. Lots of folks do one or the other exclusively. Since this is only a short term thing, I don't see how you have a problem.
    Do what you can. Get rehabbed and DON'T rush your recovery. I've had shoulder problems since I was your age (30 years--oh he!!) and they really get in the way. So take the time to get healthy.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Strength training isnt important to lose weight, but you will lose about 28% more lean muscle on average while eating at a deficit than a person that implements a strength training program durng their weight loss.
  • zumbagada
    zumbagada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight doing cardio. Although strength training is in very important, and it can increase your metabolism, cardio actually usually burns way more calories than strength training. The only thing I would suggest is that to the extent that you could switch up the cardio you are doing, that could help (i.e. elliptical, treadmill, a workout class like Zumba or Kickboxing).
  • puddy29
    Options
    I know everyone seems to think that you absolutely MUST do strength training to lose it all.
    But I didn't do it. And I lost it all. So don't worry. Most important part is the food anyway :-)
    I only did and still do cardio, 3-4 times per week. Sessions between 45-60 minutes these last couple of months.
    Good luck, and good recovery.

i am so glad someone else says this works like you said everyone thinks you have to strenght train to lose weight. you can lose weight with just cardio. you can lose lots of weight that way
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Doctor! And remember - weight loss can be achieved through calorie deficit alone.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The absolute priority to is to rehab from your operation properly.
    You are young and when you can start doing strength training again you will quickly get back to where you were.
    In the meantime cardio will burn the calories and keep your CV system in good shape.

This time last year I had such bad elbow tendonitis I couldn't even hold a bottle of wine (that was desperate!!).
    As soon as I recovered and could train the strength returned with no real problem within a few months - and I'm twice your age (plus...).

Be patient.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    abdominal workouts 3-4 days a week and the Precor AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer) 5-6 days a week for an hour
    I don't want to cut back on anymore calories or I'd be waaaayy under what I need for 20 years old, 5'7" and 150 lbs.

What's your calorie goal? There's always the chance you aren't eating *enough* for the amount of cardio you are doing. Just another angle to consider.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That sucks! :frown:

But like the others said, you can still stay on track with the weight loss. Just keep to your calorie goals, getting as much nutrition as you can, and be sure to do low-impact cardio. I have done a lot of speed-walking and such myself. :flowerforyou: