BMR Test and respiratory coefficient

Options
Hi Everyone

I decided to have my BMR tested. I am 5,2'' tall, I weight 120 pounds, 26 years old. According to most bmr formulas, it should have been between 1250 - 1300, but it is a bit lower, near 1150.

I have already lost like 12 pounds eating near 1300 calories and excersise 2 times a week, so now I just want to loose 2 more vanity pounds and then I aiming for maintenance.

What worries me is that the respiratory coefficient for me is 0,99 .. which I understand means I'm only burning Carbs. I think normal people should get values between 0.7 and 0.8, which means you are also burning fat,

I have always felt tired and shaky when having low intake of carbs, that's the main reason why I wanted to get this test done... I felt like I had something not completely right, because I need to eat every 3-4 hours for me not to fill fatigued

I already have and hour scheueled with my doctor for next Wednesday, but wnated to know if anyone one here know something more about this. Is 0,99 a normal number ? Is there anyway I can change this... any treatment, so that my body starts burning fat ? I know just lowering carbs is not the answer for me cause I feel awfull when I do that.... tried Atkins one time and almost passed out

Thanks everyone in advance for your advice!

Replies

• alexapin
    alexapin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Any one ?????
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any one ?????

Stop worrying about weight. No one knows how much you weigh.. Start to exercise and worry about body composition (cutting fat). Pick up some heavy weights and do some moderate cardio and then you can eat another 400 calories a day. There is a strong possibility your body doesn't want to cut more.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I second picking up the weights.

Sometimes your body simply says "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" which is a good indication that you've reached a minimum weight your body will accept. It IS possible to pass sure, but extreme methods need to be taken.

This does not mean the body demands the weight all be X or Y. So, if you add on some muscle, your body may be willing to let go of some fat as you go.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posters. You are too fixated on a few pounds and other numbers (respiratory coefficient for me is 0,99???)...I'll admit I don't know what you're talking about. Did your Doctor give you a clean bill of heath? If yes....stop worrying about the minutiae and go out and enjoy life!
  • alexapin
    Options
    Ok, thanks for your answers

My worry is not because of weight, but health, that's what i meant to ask... All my life i have been dealing with carb related problembd, but my sugar level is ok, just wanted to know if someone knew something more about this, too high carb oxidation
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok, thanks for your answers

My worry is not because of weight, but health, that's what i meant to ask... All my life i have been dealing with carb related problembd, but my sugar level is ok, just wanted to know if someone knew something more about this, too high carb oxidation

Maybe consider reducing your carbs intake then and increase your protein... many women on this board have stuff like pcos or gluten intolerance (like myself) and require a higher protein (meat) diet.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I'm never had that done, I am also 5'2" and 120 lbs, but my body fat is 17% (calipers) but my BMR is anywhere from 1153-1344 depending which calculation you do. The carbs I eat are mainly vegetables and fruits and a limited amounts of whole grains. I have issues with sugar (high glycemic foods).

Don't know about carb oxidation.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, if that was the avg at rest RER or incorrectly called RQ (RQ is cellular level, RER is breath level), then that is not good at all.

Should be down around .7 to .72, showing that 95 - 99% of the energy used came from fat while at rest.

But, if you had anything to eat 4 hrs prior it messes that up. Now, perhaps it would be good to examine prior 6 hrs, just in case you digest slowly or settle back to normal after longer time.

Having worked out well the night before can cause problems like that, as well as slightly sick and not breathing right from say congestion.

Hyper-ventilating messes it up, or getting close to that by just breathing in a very non-restful manner, say from nervousness.
    Much like the lovely march into exam room at Dr office, jump on table, and take blood-pressure. "gee, it's high, you don't say, I wonder why".

Or the equipment isn't calibrated correctly. Or you had a high oxygen front go through during the test and the assumed O2 content in the air was wrong.

0.99 means 3.2% came from fat, which should be near max exertion.
  • alexapin
    Options
    Ya, if that was the avg at rest RER or incorrectly called RQ (RQ is cellular level, RER is breath level), then that is not good at all.

Should be down around .7 to .72, showing that 95 - 99% of the energy used came from fat while at rest.

But, if you had anything to eat 4 hrs prior it messes that up. Now, perhaps it would be good to examine prior 6 hrs, just in case you digest slowly or settle back to normal after longer time.

Having worked out well the night before can cause problems like that, as well as slightly sick and not breathing right from say congestion.

Hyper-ventilating messes it up, or getting close to that by just breathing in a very non-restful manner, say from nervousness.
    Much like the lovely march into exam room at Dr office, jump on table, and take blood-pressure. "gee, it's high, you don't say, I wonder why".

Or the equipment isn't calibrated correctly. Or you had a high oxygen front go through during the test and the assumed O2 content in the air was wrong.

0.99 means 3.2% came from fat, which should be near max exertion.

Thanks for your answer!!!! Hadn't look at this many days ago

I hadn't eat for like 9 hours, neither had excersise, so that shouldn't be the problem....but it is true that I was really nervous so that may have messed with the readings

Already wen't to the doctor, she told me that number meant that instead of burning fat I was practically generating more fat.. She suggested to try to avoid carbs the most I could cause I am no friend of carbs. The problem is when I lower carbs I don't feel ver well, kind of shaky and irritated, eventhough i eat 2000 cals of protein.

With relation to the low RMR, she told to me to start lifting weights, which I already did. Told me that is the only way to increase RMR, and that in 6 months I should be able to increase it around 1400.

The strange thing is she told me to continue esting 1200 calories, which I think is wrong. Do you think increasing my cals will also help to increasemy RMR? Should I start upping 100 calories each week? Was thinking that the low RMR And the high RQ could be related with my body starving... What do you think about this?

Thanks a lot for your help !!!
  • heybales
    Options

I hadn't eat for like 9 hours, neither had excersise, so that shouldn't be the problem....but it is true that I was really nervous so that may have messed with the readings

Already wen't to the doctor, she told me that number meant that instead of burning fat I was practically generating more fat.. She suggested to try to avoid carbs the most I could cause I am no friend of carbs. The problem is when I lower carbs I don't feel ver well, kind of shaky and irritated, eventhough i eat 2000 cals of protein.

With relation to the low RMR, she told to me to start lifting weights, which I already did. Told me that is the only way to increase RMR, and that in 6 months I should be able to increase it around 1400.

The strange thing is she told me to continue esting 1200 calories, which I think is wrong. Do you think increasing my cals will also help to increasemy RMR? Should I start upping 100 calories each week? Was thinking that the low RMR And the high RQ could be related with my body starving... What do you think about this?

Nervous would have done it, for sure.

Especially if your body has been trained to be carb burning, not fat burning. That mainly has to do with exercise type. If cardio is always hardest you can go, and you never do any aerobic level cardio, your body is trained to start burning carbs when the HR goes up, or perceived to go up. Same way trained endurance athletes can actually slip into a higher fat burning ratio after starting exercise than others.

So nervous, flight or fight, body prepped by starting to burn what it knew best - carbs.

Now, that may or may not apply, but that has been seen to happen. Do you do much cardio, and at what levels? Lifting is same response, carb burn in prep.

Generating fat, because most of the energy needs was met by carbs? That doesn't even make sense, I'm guessing the Dr was bad at communicating what they were trying to get across on that one.

And I agree, if the body wants to use so many calories for basic functions it wants to do, why not give it that plus more so you actually can improve from the exercise.

Study on group of 60 yr olds showed that with no change of diet, after 6 weeks, with addition of resistance training, added 2.something to their LBM, and lost that much fat, so no weight change. Metabolism went up 7% because of increase of LBM and the exercise.

The RER, if the test is no where around having eaten, is based totally on your body's response to rest, not diet at that point. 4-5 hrs diet effect is over.

Now, if you have some sort of blood sugar problem and insulin was turned on then more carbs would be burned, but after 9 hrs fast, that would be some awful problem you would be noticing all the time.

Nope, I'd chalk it up to nervousness combined with exercise type up till now. So basically invalid data for that.

RMR still just as valid, though is it low genetically or because it's suppressed from under-eating, or from lack of LBM compared to expected amount?
    That's what the bodyfat% test will tell you. That RMR could be perfectly reasonable for your LBM. It's just the LBM is very bad for someone your age, weight, height.
  • alexapin
    Options

Nervous would have done it, for sure.

Especially if your body has been trained to be carb burning, not fat burning. That mainly has to do with exercise type. If cardio is always hardest you can go, and you never do any aerobic level cardio, your body is trained to start burning carbs when the HR goes up, or perceived to go up. Same way trained endurance athletes can actually slip into a higher fat burning ratio after starting exercise than others.

So nervous, flight or fight, body prepped by starting to burn what it knew best - carbs.

Now, that may or may not apply, but that has been seen to happen. Do you do much cardio, and at what levels? Lifting is same response, carb burn in prep.

Generating fat, because most of the energy needs was met by carbs? That doesn't even make sense, I'm guessing the Dr was bad at communicating what they were trying to get across on that one.

And I agree, if the body wants to use so many calories for basic functions it wants to do, why not give it that plus more so you actually can improve from the exercise.

Study on group of 60 yr olds showed that with no change of diet, after 6 weeks, with addition of resistance training, added 2.something to their LBM, and lost that much fat, so no weight change. Metabolism went up 7% because of increase of LBM and the exercise.

The RER, if the test is no where around having eaten, is based totally on your body's response to rest, not diet at that point. 4-5 hrs diet effect is over.

Now, if you have some sort of blood sugar problem and insulin was turned on then more carbs would be burned, but after 9 hrs fast, that would be some awful problem you would be noticing all the time.

Nope, I'd chalk it up to nervousness combined with exercise type up till now. So basically invalid data for that.

RMR still just as valid, though is it low genetically or because it's suppressed from under-eating, or from lack of LBM compared to expected amount?
    That's what the bodyfat% test will tell you. That RMR could be perfectly reasonable for your LBM. It's just the LBM is very bad for someone your age, weight, height.

All of my life my excesrise has been mostly sports, playing soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc. Rightt now I have been playing soccer two times a week, plus one day of some cardio DVD. I guess this clasifies as cardio, which could mean your theory is correct .... I usually play competitive sports so I go as hardest as I can

I think what the doctor tried to say was that the 0.99 coefficient meant that I was near of generating fat instead of burning... But she didn't tell me why, just told me to try keep carbs low.... Don't know if that makes sense

Good to know about that study, gives me hore hope that inceasing my RMR is possible...I know lifting weights is the way to go. what i just can't figure is I should eat more to have better results

I'm sory I forgot to mention this. Currently I have an estimated 22% body fat. According to the doctor's formula, i should have a RMR of around 1500, which meansmy actual RMRis 77% of what it should be. What I don'tknow is if that is because of bad genetics or because I took it down by eating 1200 cals for 3 months.

Anyway I think i will star upping to 1300 and figurehow i am doing with that

Thatnks again for your patience and your help, i've seen you have helped so many people, really grateful :)
  • heybales
    Options
    I think what the doctor tried to say was that the 0.99 coefficient meant that I was near of generating fat instead of burning... But she didn't tell me why, just told me to try keep carbs low.... Don't know if that makes sense

Good to know about that study, gives me hore hope that inceasing my RMR is possible...I know lifting weights is the way to go. what i just can't figure is I should eat more to have better results

I'm sory I forgot to mention this. Currently I have an estimated 22% body fat. According to the doctor's formula, i should have a RMR of around 1500, which meansmy actual RMRis 77% of what it should be. What I don'tknow is if that is because of bad genetics or because I took it down by eating 1200 cals for 3 months.

Anyway I think i will star upping to 1300 and figurehow i am doing with that

Thatnks again for your patience and your help, i've seen you have helped so many people, really grateful :)

Not sure what she could be referring to either. You "generate" fat, I guess what that could mean, when you have excess carbs, protein, and fat that goes unused, then it's stored as fat of course. Not really generated though.
    Oh well. If you ever find out what that means at next visit, I'd be very interested to know.

Did I ever give you the spreadsheet link in the topic. Help figure out a better way to get calories where they need to be to help get RMR up by allowing the workouts to have max effect.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm