so pissed at myself

Options
I couldn't be more mad at myself. I was on track with eating right, losing weight and exercising but yet again I let myself go and went back to my old ways. I got a tredmill a few weeks ago and I don't use it as much as I should. How can I get the motivation to really stick to a diet and exercise plan? I had a goal to lose 30lbs by Christmas but i knew it wasn't possible ( I started in October ) and with all the fall "foods" that came out I couldn't help myself. If anyone is looking for more friends on here , please add me. The added support would help all on it's own.

Replies

• sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is get on your treadmill :smile: have a really heavy workout, when I do that I'm usually so proud of myself that I don't want to spoil my good day by eating bad (because I don't want the exercise to be done 'for nothing').

Take one day at a time, it's not because you behaved bad (foodwise) yesterday, that you should do the same today.

Don't be hard on yourself. We all struggle. But if you get yourself back together today (today, not tomorrow :smile: ) You can still look great for Christmas!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up too much hun, we all have the same slips. I wanted to lose 18lb before my 40th birthday in a couple of weeks, signed up to MFP last year and have only really given it some since September this year, and even so the last couple of weeks have yo-yo'd 2lbs on and 2lbs off, but I'm keeping on it and trying to keep my motivation up, otherwise I know I'll slip again. I got a treadmill for my birthday last year and have only seriously started to use it in the last few weeks, thanks to a new MFP friend who has motivated me to start the C25K. I can't commit to doing this as often as I wish (the programme is 3 sessions per week, but its taken me about 10 days to complete a 'week') but I'm loving it and am determined to complete it. Why not give it a go, feel free to add me and I will support you in any way I can :flowerforyou:
  • snowbunnyxoxo21
    Options
    thanks ladies! I just wanted to be healthier and skinner by then since Christmas is when all the pictures get taken. I slipped up and kind of just figured what's the point? But I want to lose it so badly . I'll add you both (:
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    We all have them.. Heck even I have had them.. When I started on my weight loss just over 2 years ago I went gung ho for 6 months.. Went on holidays and then quit for 9 months... I got back on track and continued on.. It's been a struggle these past few months with me going overboard today but tomorrow is another day and I will get right back on track.. You can do this and with the support will conquer the bad days..
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to change long held habits. This is a stumble not a fall. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and LOVE it!! Schedule a workout time and days to get on it. If it's in in your "schedule" then you have to workout. I get insomia periodically too and when it's 2:00am and I'm awake....well maybe my body wants my jiggly butt on that treadmill!? So I get up and walk on it for a bit and tire out and then go back to bed. THEN I sleep great LOL Just schedule in when you are going to do it and make it like and important work meeting you cannot miss-- then all of a sudden it just is part of your routine. :) Plus- if you do your workout first thing in the morning--mentally you'll feel better about yourself and won't want to mess up your progress. Good luck
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well...try again and NEVER think that since you fallen off the wagen it's too late or not worth it! Good Luck!!!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Since you actually have a treadmill at your house, get up first thing in the morning and use it! Also, log everything you eat RIGHT AFTER you eat it, then you can see how many calories you have left more often, and adjust from there.
  • venniefly
    Options
    Do take one day at a time. I've been taking the dog out at least once a day and after a few weeks it feels like my lungs have cleared and in that way, its been easier cos I can breath better. And cos Ive been motivating myself to go for a walk every day, the day I decide to have a "day off" i'm wrestless and wanna go for that walk...
    Everyone is different, but you'll find something that'll make you feel that way..
    If you take the bus, get off a stop earlier (if it doesn't make you late for work).
    Maybe find a walk you can do once a week, like around the local gardens or a 5 kilometer / 3.1 mile walk and see how long it takes you to do it.
    Then do it every week and see how much faster you go, check your pulse at the end, see how you feel at the end. And in order to make it easier, do the exercises during the week so that the walk is easier and not as hard. Soon you'll be looking forward to the walk cos you know you can do it.
  • Captainobvvious
    Captainobvvious Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If I can give you two tips that work for me that I think would help.

1. Join a gym... Not a treadmill farm but a GYM... One with group exercise classes and good people. The cheap places charge $10 a month because most people don't go. At a good gym you will see the same people every time you go and they have good group exercise classes like Spinning and Zumba and many others. A treadmill in your living room is too easy not to do but if you at least get yourself to the gym and walk into the group exercise room you will do it.

2. Have a reasonable cheat meal once a week. I know it sounds like a cheat or an easy way out but it isn't. It takes a long time to get to the weight you want to be and while the cheat meal might slow it down a tiny tiny bit (less if you go to the gym) what is important is that it will keep you on the diet for longer.

if you tell yourself you can NEVER have that pizza or that burger you're going to eventually quit... What's better a temporary diet that theoretically works fast or a permanent lifestyle that will be a tiny tiny bit slower than the other diet? As long as you log everything (get a heart monitor for the gym and you can see how many calories you burn) you can have that cheat meal AND still come under your weekly calorie goal.

Believe me, it works!

You can do this... If *I* can so can you!
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    We all mess up! Try not to be so hard on yourself. You have already gotten some great advice. I don't know that I can add anything better. But definitely get on that treadmill. Regardless of how you eat on any given day, WORKOUT!!!!!! I find that when I am putting in the effort busting my tail working out, I am more motivated to make good choices when it comes to food. Also, make a list of healthy food that you love. Stock up on those foods. Make sure you always have some of that around you. When you are getting a hankering for something, indulge in one of those foods instead. Also, as one person suggested, do indulge in moderation ONCE IN A WHILE. If you completely deprive yourself, you are more likely to break down and really get off track. When you do indulge, eat whatever it is SLOWLY ... as slowly as you can. Savor every bit as if it were your last. Avoid the temptation to shovel in as much as you can as quickly as you can. I know that is always my impulse and I have to fight like hell to resist it. But if you eat it slower, you are more likely to eat less of it. Hope this helps! Good luck. Feel free to add me and feel free to message me any time you need support!
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    - Work out 15 minute, first thing in the morning. Before you realize it that will increase.
    - do carb cycling- see Chris Powell website, so that it's just one day low carb, the other higher and you won't feel deprived
    - place a picture of yourself in bikini on the fridge so that you can think twice before over eating
    - Keep trigger food out of sight if possible out of your home- out of sight out of mind.
    Best of luck. :)
  • SueMGordon
    Options
    It sounds like that your initial target was on the verge of being unrealistic. How about aiming for 1lb a week (on average) and don't get upset if you don't lose it each week as, if you are eating within your calorie limit and exercising, it will come off, but maybe in a large amount a week later?
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I've had lots of those days in the beginning but you have to move on ignore the bad days and look at the weight you have lost you can do this please don't give up i will help support you if you want to add me as a friend :happy:
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    three simple words -

DON'T GIVE UP.

:flowerforyou:
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I get like that too. It hit me the other day, that I've been on this weight loss journey for almost 2 years now. I didn't realize it had been so long, but I saw the date on my old "fat" pictures and it was Dec. 2010!! In that amount of time I've only lost 47 lbs. What I tend to do, is I'll eat within my daily goal, and lose 10 lbs, then start eating a little worse, not really log everything, and maintain that new weight for months at a time, until the motivation comes back and I start the cycle all over again....that's why it's taken so long to lose that amount of weight. So, lately I've been "pre-logging". I just decide the night before what I'm going to have the next day, and it seems to be helping me stay on track, plus it takes the guess work out of what I'm eating that day. Maybe you could try that and see if it works for you. Oh, and plenty of water, when I drink 8-12 glasses a day, I am really full, and don't overeat. Good luck!!!! You can do it!!!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love all the advice that people gave you, but one piece of advice that has proven to be the best for me is to not give myself a "I have to lose XX by YY" That is just setting yourself up to fail. Instead give yourself goals that you ABSOLUTELY can keep like:

I have to exercise 4 times a week
    I have to log my food everyday, good or bad
    I have to drink my 8 glasses of water every day
    I have to eat at least 4 servings of veggies a day

Even those people who are "weight loss Nazi's" that exercise every day and never "cheat" hit plateaus and when you have given yourself a time frame to lose the weight by and then hit a plateau, the negative mindset of "whats the use, I'm not going to reach my goal anyway" will set in.

And get a support system around you. People who will cheer you on, pick you up when you fall, but won't coddle you either.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I'm reading your post cause I'm right there with you. I was doing so well and now I've slipped and eaten everything insight for awhile. Back to square one and fighting depression along with my stress. Ugh
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It happens to me from time to time like today, I ate cookie dough and went way over my calories. It will take me days to work that off. We all have our good and bad days. Keep up the journey and never give up. I am here to support you!
  • purplestberry18
    Options
    Try not to beat yourself up to much. Everyone messes up sometime. Try to find a way to make the time on the treadmill not feel like exercise, listen to music while your doing it or sing out loud since your not at the gym. Typically treadmills bore me so the only way I'm getting on one is if I can find a way making it fun, even if I look stupid. For the fall foods I understand they are hard to resist, but there are a tone of places that can help you find delicious fall recipes to make that are low cal. this is one of my favorites http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-ravioli-with-gorgonzola-sauce-10000001673006/ also check out skinnytaste.com they have a ton of things.