Egyptian Koshary (vegan friendly)

Options
2012-11-15_19-22-14_381_zpsf1f5800f.jpg

This is not the prettiest of pictures of koshary by any means but I had to make a huge batch of it to share at my son's cultural day at school today and thought I'd share the recipe with you all because it's so fantastic! Background on koshary: It is one of Egypt's mainstay foods, fast food if you will. There are koshary restaurants and koshary stands in every neighborhood in Egypt. You can get a humongous bowl of it for pennies in Egypt and it fills you up for HOURS. I know many of you are not soda drinkers, but for some reason, koshary tastes fantastic when accompanied by an ice cold 7-Up. Egyptians are very passionate about their koshary. I should know, I married one. Lol. It's tasty, easy, and vegan. Enjoy!

Egyptian Koshary
4 cups of cooked rice
4 cups of cooked green or brown lentils
4 cups of cooked elbow macaroni (or other small pasta)
2 cups of chickpeas (I use canned, much easier)
4 cups of tomato sauce (I usually use canned, but you can make your own with fresh tomatoes)
2 cups of chopped onions
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
A splash of vinegar (optional, I just like the flavor)
1/2 Tablespoon (more or less) of cumin (also optional)
Salt to taste

Cook the rice, lentils, and macaroni separately and set aside.
Finely chop the onions and fry in 1 tablespoon of oil until very crispy and brown. Set aside.
Finely mince the garlic and fry in remaining oil. Add the tomato sauce to the garlic, a splash of vinegar (optional), and cumin (optional). Cook over medium heat until flavors are infused. Stir frequently.
Heat garbanzo beans, if desired.
For a single serving, layer the ingredients in a dish (Rice, lentils, macaroni, and chickpeas). Top with tomato sauce. Sprinkle fried onions on the top.

This is the traditional way to do it. Sometimes, if I'm lazy, I will just cook the rice, lentils, and pasta together. It's just not as pretty that way. :)

Tailor however you want (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.)

Serves 8

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (Per serving)
Calories: 446
Fat: 6 grams
Carbs: 73
Protein: 20
Sodium: 744

Replies

• justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This looks really interesting. I love anything with legumes! How much is one serving? One Cup? Thanks for sharing!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    This looks really interesting. I love anything with legumes! How much is one serving? One Cup? Thanks for sharing!

You just divide the ingredients by 8 and it will give you 1 serving. :)
  • tawnyalopez
    tawnyalopez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! This is one of my favourite foods ever :)
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It looks delicious! What a great Mom you are cooking for 200!!!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    bump, sounds interesting!
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    O looks right up my alley as far as something I like to eat! Honestly sometimes I think I am a vegan at heart. Looks so yummy! Thanks for the background info and the recipe! :heart:
  • Finallyfit1976
    Finallyfit1976 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    تسلم يا قمر على الوصفة الجميلة

انتى فين فى مصر؟؟؟؟؟
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Looks fantastic and my daughter is a vegetarian, so this would be perfect for her.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    تسلم يا قمر على الوصفة الجميلة

انتى فين فى مصر؟؟؟؟؟

أنا وزوجي يعيش في أمريكا، ولكن لدينا شقة في القاهرة. افتقد مصر جدا، والكثير جدا. أنا لا أعرف إذا كان هذا يترجم بشكل صحيح. كنت المترجم الكمبيوتر.

:flowerforyou:

I used Google translate to write this. Lol. Any Arabic speakers? Did this translate right? Hee hee.
  • swgraphics
    Options
    Looks good!
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    It looks great. Lentils are such a great thing to cook with. Great on the budget. I made lentil loaf tonight. It was good. Hubby is a veggie so I will make it next week
  • kureiko
    kureiko Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious!
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Bump :)