exercising when under the weather

Options
Can anyone help. I wanted to know if I should exercise when I'm not well. I feel I should to help lose the weight but am not sure if its doing me more harm than good.

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is the neck rule:

Above the neck, head cold type stuff, go for it.

Below the neck, fever, chills, aches, tummy stuff, rest.

I hope you feel better soon.

Do not forget that resting our body is just as important as exercising it.
  • linnamor
    Options
    Thanks very much. Its all over so I think I'll rest up a couple of days.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Better let your body heal up and recover. This goes for illnesses and injuries. Despite what some beef cakes would suggest, you won't lose all your muscle if you miss a day or two at the gym.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is the neck rule:

Above the neck, head cold type stuff, go for it.

Below the neck, fever, chills, aches, tummy stuff, rest.

I hope you feel better soon.

Do not forget that resting our body is just as important as exercising it.

That sounds like sensible advice to me. I was going to say that when I have a cold I just wrap up warm and get out for a walk. Am usually a sweaty mess by the time I get home but then a nice hot shower and usually feel much better.

But if your body is really just saying no.... then listen to it. Pushing yourself too much when ill could make you feel much worse so it may be better to rest up and leave the exercise for when you are better. Hope you are better soon!
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk or do some light pilates ball workout. It gets the blood flowing and streches me out, which feels good. Nothing strenuous, but, it feels good.
  • linnamor
    Options
    thanks for all your advice. feeling a bit better today so will go for a walk tomorrow.
  • fit_and_fab_after_kids
    Options
    i usually do and just listen to my body :) and just go a little easier than usual!!!!!!