Homemade Pizza Ideas?

Options
I LOVE pizza! I don't like to order it because the fast food pizzas are all so packed with calories and fat. I know Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones have good, "healthy" TV dinner pizzas, but I need to feed my husband and daughter too. What are some pretty basic, healthy pizzas? I would like to use some kind of pita instead of a regular pizza dough crust. I know some of you love pizza too, so please help =)

Replies

• robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Bobby Flay on the Cooking Channel. He has tons of healthy grilled pizza ideas.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If there is a trader joes by you they sell ready to make pizza dough balls. Pizza dough isn't hard to make either, the kids have fun with it I will attach a pizza dough recipe although you may be able to find easier ones if you seach. You can use whole wheat flour and add any spices like garlic or rosemary if you want to add a little flavor to the crust. One of the best birthdays for both of my kids was make your own pizza and sundaes, messy but the kids had a blast!

Anyway, I am not a fan of any processed packaged frozen foods because of the added salt and sugar and low fat usually means more sugar. If you make or buy pizza dough you can control your ingredients better. You can cook using a stone, baking sheet and the grill is a great way to cook pizza.

Makes four 12-inch pizzas
    2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one 1/4-ounce envelope)
    2 cups warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
    5 to 5 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting, preferably organic
    2 teaspoons fine sea salt
    Extra-virgin olive oil, for bowl
    ASSORTED PIZZA TOPPINGS
    Heirloom-Tomato Pizza
    Mortadella-and-Mozzarella Pizza
    Lemon-and-Piave Pizza
    Directions
    1.Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups flour and the salt, stirring until smooth. Stir in an additional 2 cups flour; continue adding flour (up to 1/2 cup), 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until dough comes away from bowl but is still sticky.
    2.Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and knead with lightly floured hands. Start by slapping the dough onto the counter, pulling it toward you with one hand and pushing it away from you with the other. Fold the dough back over itself (use a bench scraper or a wide knife to help scrape dough from surface). Repeat until it's easier to handle, about 10 times. Finish kneading normally until dough is smooth, elastic, and soft, but a little tacky, about 10 minutes.
    3.Shape dough into a ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl; turn to coat. Cover with plastic, and let rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume, 3 hours. Press it with your finger to see if it's done; an indent should remain.
    4.Place a pizza stone (available at most kitchen supply stores) on floor of gas oven (remove racks) or bottom rack of electric oven. Preheat oven to at least 500 degrees for 1 hour.
    5.Meanwhile, scrape dough out of the bowl onto floured surface, and cut it into 4 pieces. Shape into balls. Dust with flour, and cover with plastic. Let rest, 20 to 30 minutes, allowing dough to relax and almost double.
    6.Holding top edge of 1 dough ball in both hands, let bottom edge touch work surface (refrigerate remaining balls as you work). Carefully move hands around edge to form a circle, as if turning a wheel. Hold dough on back of your hand, letting its weight stretch it into a 12-inch round. Transfer dough to a lightly floured pizza peel (or an inverted baking sheet). Press out edges using your fingers. Jerk peel; if dough sticks, lift, and dust more flour underneath.
    7.Arrange desired toppings on dough.
    8.Heat oven to broil. Align edge of peel with edge of stone. Tilt peel, jerking it gently to move pizza. When edge of pizza touches stone, quickly pull back peel to transfer pizza to stone. (Do not move pizza.) Broil until bubbles begin to form in crust, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce temperature to 500 degrees, and bake until crust is crisp and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes more. (If not using broiler, bake pizza for 10 to 15 minutes total.) Remove pizza from oven using peel, and top with additional toppings if using. Slice and serve. Repeat with remaining dough and assorted toppings (each variation can be multiplied, depending on the number of pizzas you're making).
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I use wheat french bread, little bit of tomato sauce (any flavor), turkey pepperoni ( only 70 calories per 17 peices!), and 2% mozerella cheese.
    It tastes pretty yummy. It's not SUPER healthy but not too bad for pizza.
  • miss2cuteny
    Options
    I use light wraps ex.Flatouts. Light pasta sauce, light shredded cheddars, and tons of fresh veggies! They are delicious and can be less than 200 calories for each wrap!
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    Pita pizzas are easy. I also enjoy the flat out bread for a crust. I by the Ragu light basil spaghetti sauce & spread it thin either on the flat bread or pita. Sprinkle with lowfat mozz. cheese (fat free doesn't melt) and any topping you want. We like ham & pineapple, or hormel turkey pepperoni with peppers. Then you can either put them under the broiler for a minute or so til the cheese melts or bake until the cheese melts. I think the crust is crisper baked on a cookie sheet, but the kids like it softer from the broiler.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have a real pizza recipe on home made, low sodium crust. Tastes just like chain!

HOMEMADE SUPREMELY AWESOME PIZZA

You can either buy your crust, or make this low sodium one:
    2 t Active dry yeast
    3 1/2 c Bread Flour
    1 1/2 c Water
    2 t Honey
    2 T Olive Oil

Place ingredients in bread machine in order specified by manufacturer and process on dough cycle. Turn out the dough onto a floured board. At this point you may form the pizzas, or refrigerate the dough for several hours, well wrapped in plastic so it won't dry out. (Although a refrigerator rest is not necessary, it makes the dough easier to handle.) Makes enough dough for two 12-inch pizzas, or two 10-inch thick-crust pizzas. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned around the edges. Top as desired and return to oven until cheese is melted and crust browned, about 15 minutes total.

If you choose to buy a pre-made crust, proceed with the following recipe:

1 Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy Crust (got ours at walmart), or use the crust recipe above
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 can sliced, pitted olives, rinsed
    1 sweet onion
    2 Tomatoes
    1 Can Pizza Sauce (also got from Walmart, check labels for lowest sodium one!)
    1 pack fresh sliced mushrooms (available in produce dept)
    1 bag Sargento reduced sodium shredded mozzarella
    1 can pineapple

Lay crust on baking sheet. Sauce lightly. Measure 1 cup cheese & sprinkle. Pile up all the yummy things! Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top. Bake as directed on crust package.

Prep time for premade crust: 5 mins
    Calorie damage: 700 cals for HALF the pizza! ZOW! Amazing, right? The sodium on this one is a little high, but a real treat. You won't want to get take out again (we sure don't!)
    The low sodium crust is higher in cals, but has 25% less sodium.

My favorite so far has been to make that crust as noted above, and then go in with the sauce, mozzarella, pineapple, and then some mozzarella again. Blows my mind every time!

If you want something on the miniature scale try making it on earthgrain or orowheat buns. Only 50 cals per mini za "crust". Stack it with whatever you like :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I make pizza all the time.

get either wholemeal pita (or to shave a few more calories off you can use a low carb tortella)

salt reduced tomato paste with your own herbs and garlic is a good sauce base
    as smaller amount of a stronger cheese such as parmessan makes a little cheddar or mozzerlla go further

topping ideas

Prawn (shrimp - can add frozen)
    reduced fat feta
    mushroom ( i especially like the marinated italian style ones
    cherry tomatos
    frozen spinach or fresh
    sweet potato (a min in the mircowave with partically cook small cubes before you add them to the pizza)
    pineapple
    sweet corn
    egg plant
    zucchini

I buy a pack of 10 pita and make them inadvance I wrap them in foil and pop them in the freezer for days when i dont have time to cook just pull back the foil from the top and straight in the oven - NO DISHES!!
  • Rcasey1985
    Options
    Bump
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pizza! I don't like to order it because the fast food pizzas are all so packed with calories and fat. I know Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones have good, "healthy" TV dinner pizzas, but I need to feed my husband and daughter too. What are some pretty basic, healthy pizzas? I would like to use some kind of pita instead of a regular pizza dough crust. I know some of you love pizza too, so please help =)

It's a great idea to use a wholemeal pita instead of pizza dough. I find it gets a nice crispiness in the oven that is identical to traditional italian thincrust. My method:

1 wholemeal pita
    1 tbsp salt-reduced tomato paste
    1 tbsp each of fresh: basil, oregano, thyme
    2 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
    1/2 fresh zucchini, sliced
    1/2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 fresh tomato, diced
    1 oz fresh goat cheese (CLEARLY optional - this is my little piece of indulgence)

I find that even with the goat cheese, having half of this pizza for lunch or dinner is not only filling and majorly satisfying, but one of the lowest calorie meals I consume.

Good luck!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I bought whole wheat pizza dough from my grocery store already made. look for that and you can add your own toppings. Turkey Pepperoni is awesome!!! 17 slices for 70 calories!
  • healthycat31
    Options
    Homemade pizzas are great. You can control everything now including the type (and amount) of oil and cheese used.

For healthier options, you could make the base/crust thin crust, multi grain or use whole wheat flour or whole wheat pittas, you can choose a low fat cheese or use less cheese, use a healthy tomato sauce, load the pizza with more vegetables and less processed meat or you could cut out the meat altogether. For the oil, you can go for olive oil. Mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, tomato chunks, and herbs are my favourite topping. I also love mushrooms, red onions, and black olives. Spinach, tomato chunks, and mushrooms is another idea.

:smile:
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump thanks!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You can use a wheat (or low carb) tortilla for a crust too.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    some great ideas