Heathy Desserts a JOKE

Options
I look at what they call healthy desserts online - YEAH RIGHT! Check it out at like 200-250 cals per serving! Probably a teeny piece for one thing and then counting in at 30-45grams of carbs! Whatever!!! Sounds healthy huh? Its like eat one little piece of dessert or 3-4 pieces of bread!?!?!?! Hmmmm. Might as well not even bother. If you want a healthy dessert. Make it yogurt n berries and spinkle with cinnamon.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If Ive budgeted calories...250 calories for something sweet and yummy is fine. That's really not that many calories. <shrug> Your mileage may vary,, of course.
  • jorasims
    jorasims Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a healthy desert! When I am craving something I keep Skinny Cow treats near!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I say if you're going for dessert then go for dessert. I usually like mine rich and fatty. There's nothing grosser than a low fat cookie or cupcake
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i just dont even bother with desserts anymore for this reason lol
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Girl, you need to look harder. There are a ton of healthy, delicious recipes out there even on here!!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Jello - Lite Cool Whip.
    1 cup of jello
    2-3 table spoons of cool whip

less than 100 calories.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    200-250 isn't THAT bad if you plan for it.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well if you researched and compared it to the less healthy version; those macros are good. Of course if you have a low calorie goal then yea that's a lot; but 250 cals with 30-40 carbs average my mid morning and mid afternoon snack each. :)
  • stargazer008
    Options
    The sugar content scares me in "healthy" desserts.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a healthy desert! When I am craving something I keep Skinny Cow treats near!

Like this!! that's what I keep on hand too!!!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    ummm some people like dessert. and yes, they CAN be healthy.

my two options. *before bed for muscles to grow*

ice cream: 1 scoop casein, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp almond butter
    006.jpg

protein cake: 1 scoop protein, 3 tbsp almond milk, 1 tbsp almond butter
    photo1.jpg

... not healthy my *kitten*
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I say if you're going for dessert then go for dessert. I usually like mine rich and fatty. There's nothing grosser than a low fat cookie or cupcake

I tend to agree. Especially when it comes to my Starbucks! No way in hell am I going to get a "skinny" peppermint mocha when I'm paying that much! However, if I'm having cravings that aren't budgeted, I'll meet myself halfway with what some might call "healthy" desserts, but I think of them more as "less bad" desserts
  • callmemaam
    callmemaam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dunno - I think it all depends on your definition of "dessert". To me, fruit & cheese is an excellent dessert. Peanut butter and apple. Almond butter and banana. Roasted pears with toasted nuts... You get the idea. (Even the occasional bowl of "naughty" cereal with skim milk satisfies my dessert craving.)

I agree with the other posters about "fitting into the macros" - if you have plenty of carbs to spare, but you're on the cusp with the sugar - I say indulge. Just not every day. For me, too much sugar throws my appetite into a whirlwind of cravings.

Healthy is subjective - consider the quality and quantity of your ingredients. Let's compare:

- Little Debbie snack cake? Don't even pick it up because it's chock full of crap.

- Imagine no-bake pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust (whole wheat and a little butter), gelatin binder (save on fat/cholesterol because it's not eggs), pumpkin (vegetable), spices (antioxidants), fat -free evaporated milk (for creaminess) and a sugar free whipped topping (indulgence). To me - that's a relatively healthy dessert. Yes, it needs to be sweetened, but you control the sugar content (and the freshness of the ingredients) in a homemade dessert.

That's kind of the point, right? Taking control of your lifestyle and feeding yourself what you want on your terms.
    If you go full blown "real" dessert - then plan extra exercise. Just don't indulge in the guilt trip.
  • Thokiz
    Thokiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on MFP somewhere & made it the other night..was an awesome snack

Sugar free Jello 80 Cal per BOX
    1 cup Low-Fat Yogurt 110 Cal
    1 cup hot water
    I added strawberries (50 cal)

It's firm/smooth/tangy

Divide into 4 servings for only 60 Calories
  • amandajam2012
    Options
    I love the 40 calorie frozen fudge pops... perfect amount of sweet for the end of the day...
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Sounds great :(
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Desserts are meant to be a sugary indulgence, unfortunately there are people on this site that can't afford the cals that most desserts hold, so if there's a lower cal (heathy or not) option, I say let them have their cake and eat it, too.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is sooo much more difficult when ur type 1 diabetic! Even if I eat "healthy desserts" they are still full of sugar carbs and well that means i need to fill my needle up with more insulin. More insulin means more cravings and makes ur body not wanna lose fat! I've lost weight before and it has never ever been this hard for me! I guess pregnancy/diabetes made everything harder. Sigh!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    a slice of cheese cake at 600 calories or even more can be a very healthy dessert